10,000 Bees!

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I looked out the window into the backyard this afternoon after I saw the shadow of what looked like a lot of tree blossoms falling.

It wasn't tree blossoms. It was thousands of bees, swarming all over the yard. If you've played MGS3 and fought The Pain......yeah, they were that plentiful. EEYAH!

There was supposed to be a picture here, but for some inane reason it won't link correctly. It might be a side effect of the server migration.....ergh.

Eventually the swarm lessened in size, but that's when I saw they were all congregating on the branch of one tree. It looked like they were building a nest. Turns out, not really.

Apparently it could be one of two things. They're honeybees. They could be honeybees whose queen had just died. In which case they'll live on that branch temporarily until they can find a new home somewhere else. The other possibility is that the queen is still alive, but just gave birth to ANOTHER queen, and since there's no room for two queens in a hive, one of them left and took half the swarm with her (seriously; it happens). Honeybees migrate like this every so often.

She called someone who traps bee colonies and sells them to people who make honey. Before the bees can move again, that guy will be over to snare them from the branch.

2. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

I looked out the window into the backyard this afternoon after I saw the shadow of what looked like a lot of tree blossoms falling.

It wasn't tree blossoms. It was thousands of bees, swarming all over the yard. If you've played MGS3 and fought The Pain......yeah, they were that plentiful. EEYAH!

There was supposed to be a picture here, but for some inane reason it won't link correctly. It might be a side effect of the server migration.....ergh.

Eventually the swarm lessened in size, but that's when I saw they were all congregating on the branch of one tree. It looked like they were building a nest. Turns out, not really.

Apparently it could be one of two things. They're honeybees. They could be honeybees whose queen had just died. In which case they'll live on that branch temporarily until they can find a new home somewhere else. The other possibility is that the queen is still alive, but just gave birth to ANOTHER queen, and since there's no room for two queens in a hive, one of them left and took half the swarm with her (seriously; it happens). Honeybees migrate like this every so often.

She called someone who traps bee colonies and sells them to people who make honey. Before the bees can move again, that guy will be over to snare them from the branch.

3. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Bump for great justice: the picture problem is fixed. This was my backyard:

[​IMG]

The story is over now: someone already came to yank the bees off the branch. Do you know how this is done?

With a bucket and a ladder. He climbed up the ladder, put the bucket under the bees, and shook the branch. They fell inside and he quickly shut the lid. Then he left.

(And yeah, he had a bee suit, so if he was really just a bum looking for a bee sandwich he did his homework.)

4. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Bump for great justice: the picture problem is fixed. This was my backyard:

[​IMG]

The story is over now: someone already came to yank the bees off the branch. Do you know how this is done?

With a bucket and a ladder. He climbed up the ladder, put the bucket under the bees, and shook the branch. They fell inside and he quickly shut the lid. Then he left.

(And yeah, he had a bee suit, so if he was really just a bum looking for a bee sandwich he did his homework.)

5. Greg1

Greg1 Ness Vet

I'd have pretended to be a rain cloud.

6. It's Dalek!

It's Dalek! Member

Soon you'll have a bear problem I guarantee it.

7. takineko

takineko I can do that with a pancake!

Killer Bees finally reached you?

8. Supermitto

Supermitto New Member

9. takineko

takineko I can do that with a pancake!

ROFL! Strike a pose!

Now VOGUE!

10. I5Spiders

I5Spiders New Member

That is crazy. I freak out whenever I see that picture. So scary!!! I hate bees!