Kicking off this year’s Marvel Animation Panel was the first part of a never before seen episode of Ultimate Spider-Man. Returning to the Spider-Verse, and this time taking Miles Morales aka Kid Arachnid with him, Spider-Man journeyed to a pirate-themed world, teaming up with Web-Beard the Pirate. Played by Will Friedle, Web-Beard brought along a crew of animal people that bare more than a passing resemblance to Guardians of the Galaxy characters.
The lights came up, and out came Cort Lane, SVP animation and family entertainment, sporting a Spider-Gwen shirt. He was followed by Eric Radomski, SVP, production and creative director, Marvel Animation, and then Stephen Wacker, VP, current series & development, Marvel Animation. To get the crowd excited about the current Inhumans arc on Avengers: Ultron Revolution, they showed a clip of the Avengers battling the Inhuman Royal Family. Upcoming characters on the show include Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, and the Vision. The season will conclude with their own version of Civil War. Cort Lane announced Disney XD is bringing back the game that was introduced last year, Superhero Battle Royale, and explained how it works on the XD app.
Fred Tatasciore, who has been voicing the Hulk for many years, then joined them on stage. Mr. Tatasciore discussed the various roles Hulk has played in his incarnations. Next was Trevor Devall, voice of Guardians of the Galaxy’s Rocket Racoon, who talked about his role. Season two of Guardians of the Galaxy promises to dive more into Marvel’s cosmic lore and will feature a team-up between the Guardians and the Avengers.
With Mr. Tatasciore and Mr. Devall on stage, the panel played a game of “Smash Libs,” where they invited the audience to shout out words and then inserted said words into a scene of Hulk and Rocket going to Comic Con.
Cort Lane screened a bit of the new Rocket and Groot series, which will be 12 animated shorts done by Passion Pictures, set to air on Disney XD early next year. Mr. Radomski spoke about an upcoming feature length movie coming this fall teaming up the Hulk and Dr. Strange, as sort of a timed release with the live action Dr. Strange movie. Returning as the voice of Dr. Strange is Liam O’Brien, along with Mr. Tatasciore as the Hulk. It promises to have a darker tone than the other Marvel Animated shows and will make more use of Bruce Banner.
Stephen Wacker announced season 4 of Avengers Assemble, which will be called Secret Wars. It will feature some heroes that have been recently seen on the show, introduce some new ones (including the Wasp), and be about these new heroes looking for missing Avengers. They promise big surprises in the biggest season ever and teased the female version of Thor .
They then screened the second half of the Ultimate Spider-Man episode, where Spider-Man and Kid Arachnid journey to a Old West-themed world and faced off against the Phantom Rider. This episode is set to air on September 3, 2016, and the return to Spider-verse will have loads more Spider-themed people that haven’t been seen on the show before.
- When asked if it would be interesting to see Spider-Gwen, the only answer was, “Yes, it would be interesting.”
- The panel said we won’t be seeing any mutants but maybe Deadpool would return.
- When asked his favorite thing to smash, Tatasciore said he enjoys smashing into the water.
- When asked if the voice actors slip into their character while driving, Tatasciore said, in the Hulk’s voice, that he avoids road rage while Devall said he is usually spent after a recording session. They also discussed other roles they play on the Marvel shows.
- When asked if the Thing will join the Guardians of the Galaxy like he has in the comic books, the panel answered no but there would be cool surprises this season.
- When asked if Miles Morales’ role will be expanded on Ultimate Spider-Man, Wacker said he will be sticking around for good.
- An audience member asked if we would be seeing Adam Warlock on the Avengers, and they said he wouldn’t be on Avengers but that they do have plans for him and other Adam Warlock-related characters.
- The panelists were asked who their favorite superhero is. Stephen Wacker said Ms. Marvel, who he had a hand in creating, Cort Lane said Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch in addition to Jean Grey, saying he has a Dark Phoenix tattoo. Eric Radomski answered Captain America and, despite being Canadian, Trevor Devall said he likes Cap as well. Fred Tatasciore said he thinks Thor is pretty cool.