"Penguins of Madagascar" Continues Ratings Domination
Nickelodeon has announced that The Penguins of Madagascar, their new series from DreamWorks Animation, continues to lead in the ratings, being the #1 kids’ show for the past week and #3 show on basic cable for all viewers (behind USA’s WWE Entertainment and NCIS). The show drew an average of 4 million viewers for “Operation: Plush and Cover/Happy King Julien Day” on April 4, with an average 6.9 (2.4 million viewers) in the K2-11 demographic and a 7.4 (1.6 million viewers) in the K6-11 demographic.
The full press release follows. Read Toon Zone’s coverage of the ratings for the premiere.
Nickelodeon’s newest hit, The Penguins of Madagascar, was the number-one kids’ show for the week and placed number three on all of basic cable with total viewers (behind only USA’s WWE Entertainment and NCIS).
Nickelodeon kicked off the second quarter on top, leading the competition with kids, tweens and total viewers. Additionally, Nick at Nite earned the week’s top spot among Adults 18-49.
The Penguins of Madagascar highlights include:
- The Penguins of Madagascar “Operation: Plush and Cover/Happy King Julien Day” (Saturday, April 4, 10 a.m. ET/PT) was the number-one kids’ show for the week and placed number three on all of basic cable with total viewers, averaging 4.0 million persons 2+ (+7% in delivery).
- The episode averaged a 6.9/2.4 million K2-11 (+8% in rating over year ago) and was the number-one telecast for the week with kids 2-11. Penguins also scored the top three telecasts for the week on broadcast and basic cable with kids 2-11.
- With kids 6-11, the episode earned a 7.4/1.6 million K6-11 (+12%). Three of the week’s top five telecasts with kids 6-11 were new Penguins episodes.
- “Operation: Plush and Cover/Happy King Julien Day” was also the number-one telecast on all of basic cable with tweens for the week, averaging a 5.3/1.1 million T9-14 (+26%).
Here’s a competitive look at Nickelodeon’s weekly total day performance (source: NMR, 3/31/09 – 4/05/09, Live + Same Day):
- Nickelodeon’s average of 2.0 million total viewers (P2+) is +35% ahead of The Disney Channel (1.5 million P2+) and a +120% lead over Cartoon Network (929,000 P2+).
- Nickelodeon’s average of 3.2/1.1 million Kids 2-11 is +25% ahead of Disney (2.5/873,000 K2-11) and +119% over Cartoon Network (1.4/505,000 K2-11).
- With Kids 6-11, Nick’s average of 2.7/564,000 K6-11 is +6% ahead of Disney (2.5/524,000 K6-11) and +75% over Cartoon (1.5/322,000 K6-11).
Here’s a look at Nickelodeon’s TV networks’ weekly total day performance (source: NMR 3/30/09 – 4/05/09, Live + Same Day):
- Nick at Nite was number one for the week with A18-49 and W18-49, netting gains across its key demos and averaging a 0.6/686,000 A18-49 (+3%); a 0.8/459,000 W18-49 (+11%); and 1.5 million total viewers.
- The N posted double-digit gains in delivery of +28% with T12-17, and +35% with total viewers.
- Nicktoons Network posted double-digit gains over last year +33% with K6-11; +50% B6-11; +67% B9-14 and +50% T9-14. It was also up +54% in total viewer delivery over last year.
- NOGGIN scored double-digit gains, averaging a 3.0/305,000 K2-5 (+43%) and posting gains of +32% with total viewers.