The Blu-ray and DVD discs for this spring’s “Mr. Peabody & Sherman” are due to arrive tomorrow and although the movie did decent enough at the box office, the real draw for the Blu-ray and DVD versions are the extras which give out some nice golden nuggets from the show’s origin on “The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show”.
In addition to the movie, of course, the DVD set will include:
• Mr. Peabody giving a tour of the WABAC Machine
• A discussion on the possibility of time travel in the real world. (in which real, live physicists are consulted)
For the Blu-ray version, additions include:
• The 1959 debut of “The Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends Show”
• Five ‘Mr. Peabody & Sherman’ segments [“Robin Hood,” “Leonardo Da Vinci,” “Louis XVI,” “William Shakespeare” and “Ludwig Van Beethoven”]
• A featurette on the Peabody/Sherman relationship
• Another featurette on Mr. Peabody getting his paws honored in the cement outside Mann’s Chinese Theatre
• A memory game
• A jigsaw puzzle game
Finally, for the Blu-ray 3D version, there is only one more addition – but it’s a doozy – as it has a new 5-minute ‘Rocky & Bullwinkle’ short in 3D that features legendary June Foray as Rocket J. Squirrel, the role she originated more than 50 years ago. Since, unfortunately, the original Bullwinkle voice actor, Bill Scott, has been dead since 1985, the role of Bullwinkle J. Moose is left in the capable vocal cords of Tom “SpongeBob SquarePants” Kenny.
“Mr. Peabody & Sherman” will be released for Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D and DVD on October 14, 2014.