Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Jeffrey is offline Goodbye, Eleven...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverstar View Post
    Warner Bros. hasn't even attempted an animated family feature movie since Quest for Camelot, and that was back in 1998.
    You're forgetting The Iron Giant, which was just a year later.

wiley207 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't recall Pixar ever making the claim that they were "the king of animation", and again, I fail to see how WB is getting "clobbered" in the animated features department when they're currently not even competing with Disney in this medium.
    It's also at the animation awards and DVD sales. It's one reason why "Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 5" didn't do so well; it had to compete with "Ratatouille." (I remember the day Vol. 5 came out, "Ratatouille" was at number one on Amazon.com's DVD sales list (in pre-orders no less!) while LTGC Vol. 5 was way down in the 200 range! )

Silverstar is offline Delightfully Dotty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley207 View Post
    It's also at the animation awards and DVD sales. It's one reason why "Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 5" didn't do so well; it had to compete with "Ratatouille." (I remember the day Vol. 5 came out, "Ratatouille" was at number one on Amazon.com's DVD sales list (in pre-orders no less!) while LTGC Vol. 5 was way down in the 200 range! )
    We're talking about a recent feature film which did well at the box office whose release to DVD was heavily promoted and was largely purchased by parents to watch with their kids versus a collection of decades-old shorts which most people have seen several times already, received very little to no on-air promotion and was mainly purchased by collectors more than by moms and dads for their kids, though. Those 2 DVD sets weren't exactly in direct competition with one another, since they weren't aiming for the exact same audience.
    Last edited by Silverstar; 01-15-2014 at 09:12 PM.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We're talking about a recent feature film which did well at the box office whose release to DVD was heavily promoted and was largely purchased by parents to watch with their kids versus a collection of decades-old shorts which most people have seen several times already, received very little to no on-air promotion and was mainly purchased by collectors more than by moms and dads for their kids, though. Those 2 DVD sets weren't exactly in direct competition with one another, since they weren't aiming for the exact same audience.
    Yes, but the economy was also a major player in the failure of LTGC Volume 5, too, but that's for another topic

Goldstar Neo is offline I like the streaks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley207 View Post
    Yes, but the economy was also a major player in the failure of LTGC Volume 5, too, but that's for another topic
    The current state of the economy isn't Warner Brothers' fault either.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar Neo View Post
    The current state of the economy isn't Warner Brothers' fault either.
    That WASN'T what I meant. I meant the economy beginning to go downhill in the 2000s was the main cause of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection DVDs not selling well by the end, and is why we got all those family-themed double-dip DVDs.
    But anyways, back on topic, I think a good idea is that they could possibly go for the Scooby-Doo "13 Spooky Tales" approach for some new themed Looney Tunes DVDs, featuring several new-to-DVD shorts and maybe one or two newly-created cartoons, just like how those Scooby DVDs feature a newly-created episode in the style of the recent made-for-video Scooby-Doo movies (the gang drawn in the "retro" style, the darker fantasy aspect, etc.) It could possibly work with the Looney Tunes, except the new material would be a short, not a 22-minute episode.

SF4Ever is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Let's clarify this- Warner Bros. Animation isn't anywhere near in as much trouble as some people make it out to be, but it can improve- how about making more animated programs, courtesy of work-for-hire, rather than established properties. Sam Register can't do it all, himself- he could give Spike Brandt & Tony Cervone exec. producer titles as well as other well-known staff producers, like James Tucker. I agree- merchandising should be secondary to program production. In terms of animation studio giants, until it respects the relevance and importance of action-adventure animation on TV(just like comedic animation), especially those based on work-for-hire, instead of established properties, Disney is still going to trail Warner Bros. Even more, WB is able to utilize its TV animation resources, whereas Disney started slowly in that area. Remember, the key phrase is work-for-hire- original properties created for the studio by the freelance artists, themselves, outside of established properties. Quite frankly, in TV animation, nowadays, there needs to more of that being utilized, especially by the studios, Warner Bros. and Disney included.
    Like it or not, I never apologize for being a fan of whomever they may be.

dth1971 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe Warner Bros. could revise Tiny Toons and Animaniacs in a hybrid series.

Goldstar Neo is offline I like the streaks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dth1971 View Post

As much as I loved both shows, I have no desire to see either one of them get revived. Revival series are almost always a disappointment (After M*A*S*H*, The New WKRP in Cincinnati, The Bradys) because no one can ever reassemble all of the original writers, directors, voice actors, etc., The quality is almost never on par with the original, and the revivals mostly serve to remind us how much better the original series was. And combining TTA and A! into a single program would just be a mess. Said revival would inevitably have a new visual style, new animation style, some new voice actors, etc., and purists would hate it because it wouldn't be exactly like the original series were. Lightning rarely strikes twice, and too much time has passed for WB to try to pick up where the A! and TTA left off.

I'd like to see WB produce some new and original series made with the same level of quality and the same kind of love that went into those animated series aforementioned, though.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.

Silverstar is offline Delightfully Dotty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dth1971 View Post
    I don't see that happening. In order for either show to get revived in the first place, there would have to be a demand for it from today's kid-vid viewing audience, and I have yet to hear a kid say they'd like to see new episodes of Tiny Toons or Animaniacs, just adults who grew up watching those shows during the 90's. Add to that how nearly everyone who was involved with those shows have moved on to other things and most of the animation houses which the produced the segments for those shows are all but gone now, so there's no way revivals of either would or will ever be as good as they were in their prime. Trying to lump both shows together into a single program would just be an overpopulated, convoluted mess.

At the very most, i could possibly see new shorts starring the Warners, Slappy & Skippy, Pinky & the Brain and the like, or maybe a collection of said shorts on a DTV, but not a new hybrid series that's a combination of both. The Tiny Toons' novelty has kind of worn off, though; the kiddification craze died out in the early 90's, and minus the youth element, the Tiny Toons are just re-colored clones of the Looney Tunes. If WB is going to do new stuff for the LTs, you don't really need the Tiny Toons.

WB needs new ideas in order to succeed; the nostalgia factor alone doesn't guarantee success. Overall, I'd prefer to see new shows, characters and concepts with the same commitment to quality as those shows, but I think for the most part that TTA and A! should be left alone in the era in which they thrived, and people should just enjoy what we got.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast