Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Should Lola Bunny be retired?

Like This Thread!

Now the Looney Tunes character Lola Bunny since her debut in Space Jam has gotten controversy from fans of classic cartoons. In Space Jam she was given flack for her Mary Sue-type personality(or lack there off) and later on in The Looney Tunes Show she was given a kooky and crazy personality that people were less enthusiastic about. Animator Chuck Jones said she was a worthless character with no future(and a victim of "furvert fetish") and I talked with animation historian Jerry Beck and he believes that they should get rid of Lola replacing her with a new girlfriend for Bugs.

This made me ask the question...should they just get rid of Lola all together or can there be a way for her to survive in the franchise?

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looney Tunian
    Animator Chuck Jones said she was a worthless character with no future(and a victim of "furvert fetish")
    Just to be accurate, Chuck Jones said that about the Space Jam version of Lola. Jones died in 2002, so he never got to see The Looney Tunes Show.

But to answer the question: no, I don't think Lola Bunny should be retired, and she won't be retired as long as she's popular with fans. If anyone at WB has a problem with Lola's portrayal, instead of retiring the character, they could just, I don't know, make Lola better. Why do so many people act like TLTS version of Lola is somehow the final definitive version of the character and there can or will be no others? All characters evolve. Porky Pig, Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny and most of the other Looney Tunes characters started out one way, then other directors changed them adding their own nuances. There's no reason why the same thing can't be done with Lola, though I personally don't mind the current take on the character.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

Goldstar Neo is offline Dat's cold, bro!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just for the record, The Looney Tunes Show's version of Lola was not universally hated. Some people hated this version of the character, but others (myself included) actually enjoyed Lola on TLTS and actually preferred this take on Lola to the character's depiction on Space Jam. A few folks on an internet message board do not equate to the vast majority of the viewing public, and one shouldn't use their own personal opinions of why they didn't like a character as actual reasons why the character wasn't /isn't successful.

A few months ago, I had a similar discussion with a colleague about the character of Richard Watterson on The Amazing World of Gumball. He feels that Richard is the worst character on the show and that he wanted to write a fanfic in which the character would be permanently disposed of so that the Watterson kids could get a new stepfather. My response was that if he disliked how Richard was portrayed that instead of doing away with the character, he could instead just "fix" everything that he thought was wrong with him.

None of the established Looney Tunes characters have ended up the exact way that they started. Each director had their own take on the characters. Bob Clampett's take on Bugs Bunny was different than Tex Avery's take on Bugs, and Friz Freleng's Bugs was different than Bob Clampett's, which was different from Robert McKimson's Bugs, which was different from Chuck Jones' Bugs, etc...

So to answer the question: There's absolutely no reason why Lola should be retired when shes barely made a dent in the Looney Tunes canon. Replacing Lola with a new girl rabbit would be pointless because said character would just be another blank slate, which is precisely what Lola was when she made her debut in Space Jam. Such a move would solve nothing.
    Last edited by Goldstar Neo; 11-20-2013 at 09:04 AM.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.

ILDC is online now Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Even on The Looney Tunes Show, she felt like she was only there to be "the girl". So I wouldn't mind if she went away forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ILDC View Post
    Even on The Looney Tunes Show, she felt like she was only there to be "the girl". So I wouldn't mind if she went away forever.
    The Looney Tunes can't go back to being just dudes. Not anymore. Not in this era of Political Correctness. Warner Brothers has been catching flack for decades about the LT franchise being a boys' club, so they need to have more female characters besides just Granny and Witch Hazel. No girl is going to go out and buy a T-shirt with Miss Prissy on it or say "My personal Looney Tunes hero is Penelope Pussycat!". Girls want a female LT character whom they can glom onto and be the girl equivalent to Bugs, Daffy, Porky et al. When Tiny Toon Adventures came out in 1990, WB and Amblin knew that the cast couldn't all be boys. Even arch rival Disney has Minnie, Daisy and Clarabelle in their shorts gang, plus, as I mentioned earlier, the character's popular with fans, so like it or not, Lola's here to stay.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

ILDC is online now Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverstar View Post
    The Looney Tunes can't go back to being just dudes. Not anymore. Not in this era of Political Correctness. Warner Brothers has been catching flack for decades about the LT franchise being a boys' club, so they need to have more female characters besides just Granny and Witch Hazel. No girl is going to go out and buy a T-shirt with Miss Prissy on it or say "My personal Looney Tunes hero is Penelope Pussycat!". Girls want a female LT character whom they can glom onto and be the girl equivalent to Bugs, Daffy, Porky et al. When Tiny Toon Adventures came out in 1990, WB and Amblin knew that the cast couldn't all be boys. Even arch rival Disney has Minnie, Daisy and Clarabelle in their shorts gang, plus, as I mentioned earlier, the character's popular with fans, so like it or not, Lola's here to stay.
    So basically it's just like the Muppets.

An Open Letter to the Muppets, From a Little Girl and Her Dad | Mommy Man

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I really like the new Lola, but a lot of that comes down to Kristen Wiig's performance. If she can't do it anymore, it's likely that Lola will get a modified personality in the future.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

dth1971 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Keep Lola Bunny in the Looney Tunes universe!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dth1971 View Post
    Keep Lola Bunny in the Looney Tunes universe!
    As previously stated, Lola is not going to be retired. The OP is posing the hypothetical question of whether or not she should be retired, but it's not actually going to happen. The character is too popular with fans, and the Looney Tunes franchise needs to hold on to its' gals. Lola won't be going away anytime soon.