Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    dth1971 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1990's/2000's WB cartoon shows they may not care about anymore

Like This Thread!

In your opinion, why do you think Warner Bros. doesn't even care about in the current 2010-ish era these WB produced cartoons of the 1990's and 2000's: Histeria; Detention; Ozzy and Drix; Mucha Lucha; Road Rovers; Loonatics Unleashed; and even Pinky, Elmyra, and the Brain? Warner Bros. wouldn't even care if Freakazoid gets rerun on the Hub in the future.

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Because none of those shows were long running or successful by studio standards. They all were either hated by critics and viewers alike (Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain, Loonatics Unleashed), were products of their time which didn't age well or generate any real popularity (iMucha Lucha!, Ozzy & Drix) or they just petered out after a brief network run (Detention, Road Rovers, Histeria!). Studios rarely, if ever, tout their short-lived, also-ran or failed shows. If a show was successful, then it gets DVD releases, gets acquired by cable networks and is rerun every few years, if a show wasn't successful, then it gets tossed into the vaults and is never heard from again. That's how the media machine works.

Quote Originally Posted by dth1971
    Warner Bros. wouldn't even care if Freakazoid gets rerun on the Hub in the future.
    WB owns Freakazoid!; obviously, they would care, since The Hub couldn't acquire the show without their OK.
    Last edited by Silverstar; 09-10-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverstar View Post
    Because none of those shows were long running or successful by studio standards. They all were either hated by critics and viewers alike (Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain, Loonatics Unleashed), were products of their time which didn't age well or generate any real popularity (iMucha Lucha!, Ozzy & Drix) or they just petered out after a brief network run (Detention, Road Rovers, Histeria!). Studios rarely, if ever, tout their short-lived, also-ran or failed shows. If a show was successful, then it gets DVD releases, gets acquired by cable networks and is rerun every few years, if a show wasn't successful, then it gets tossed into the vaults and is never heard from again. That's how the media machine works.

WB owns Freakazoid!; obviously, they would care, since The Hub couldn't acquire the show without their OK.
    Well, I forgot to mention Detention! anyway...

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dth1971 View Post
    Well, I forgot to mention Detention! anyway...
    Actually, you mentioned it in your initial post.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    actually, you mentioned it in your initial post.
    oops!

wiley207 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Don't forget the sister show to "Loonatics: Unleashed"... "Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue!" Warner saw it to be as just a failure as Loonatics was (as if both shows already being very similar to each other wasn't enough!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley207 View Post
    Don't forget the sister show to "Loonatics: Unleashed"... "Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue!" Warner saw it to be as just a failure as Loonatics was (as if both shows already being very similar to each other wasn't enough!)
    I thought every Scooby-Doo show incarnation was a hit!

Goldstar Neo is offline Dat's cold, bro!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dth1971 View Post
    I thought every Scooby-Doo show incarnation was a hit!
    The various incarnations of Scooby and Scrappy Doo (particularly the ones without Fred, Daphne and Velma) proved to be notoriously unpopular with viewers. As for Shaggy and Scooby Doo Get a Clue!, that show hasn't seen the light of day since it finished it's run on Kids' WB, so I guess not.

I never actually saw Get a Clue! myself, although I was aware of it. I read about the show and while it clearly wasn't a success story for Warner Brothers, at the same time, I have to give the producers a smidge of credit for trying something different with the franchise. Ironically, this was the same thing that the producers tried to do with the Scrappy episodes.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.