Zen Man is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TTA/ A! characters that didn't make the air?

Like This Thread!
    Here's a question for Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs experts:

During early production of a show, ideas and concepts are constantly changing as to what the show will be about. Characters are also introduced and dropped as a show navigates it's way through pre-production. Does anyone know if there were characters who were supposed to be on TTA or Animaniacs but for some reason didn't make the final cut? Were the character rosters for both shows pretty much set in stone before production started?

Silverstar is offline Delightfully Dotty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    From Tiny Toon Adventures, there was Lightning Rodriguez, the heir apparent to Speedy Gonzalez, who never made it to the air due to fears of the character (and Speedy) being seen as offensive ethnic stereotypes. IIRC, Lightning did make it onto the show as an extra in an episode or 2.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bossy Beaver and Doyle comes to mind for A!.....

LDEJRuff is offline I'll be back...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think they developed a TTA counterpart for Michigan J. Frog. It would have been nice if there was a tadpole based on him, though. But I guess Michigan J. got some treatment in a few episodes, including his cameo in the near beginning of "Citizen Max".

Happy 15th, Family Guy

Zen Man is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbro View Post
    From Tiny Toon Adventures, there was Lightning Rodriguez, the heir apparent to Speedy Gonzalez, who never made it to the air due to fears of the character (and Speedy) being seen as offensive ethnic stereotypes. IIRC, Lightning did make it onto the show as an extra in an episode or 2.

It's funny because I used to think that Sneezer was the heir apparent to Speedy; never fully realizing that Sneezer was actually based on Warner's other resident rodent: Sniffles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Man View Post
    It's funny because I used to think that Sneezer was the heir apparent to Speedy; never fully realizing that Sneezer was actually based on Warner's other resident rodent: Sniffles.
    That is funny; I've heard a couple of other people say that as well, but I guessed that Sneezer was based on Sniffles right from his first appearance in the short "Li'l Sneezer" from "Looniversity Days". Sneezer looked like a gray baby version of Sniffles, then there was the whole 'sneezing/sniffling' connection, so I got who he was based off right away.

-Of course, it took me a while to figure out that Fowlmouth and Shirley the Loon were based on Foghorn Leghorn and Melissa Duck, respectively. (In fact, I had to be informed about the Melissa/Shirley connection by a fellow member here on this forum, so I'm certainly not trying to sound like a know-it-all.)

Back on-point: I'm not sure if this counts, but Toby Danger (the Jonny Quest spoof which aired on Freakazoid!) was originally conceived to air on Animaniacs, but it was thought to be too far removed from the universe of A!. The original Toby Danger sequence had a much longer opening than the one which made it to the air, and there was also an epilogue that was cut.
    Last edited by Silverstar; 05-10-2012 at 11:33 PM.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

LDEJRuff is offline I'll be back...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think Mac and Tosh (The Goofy Gophers), Bert and Hubie, Claude Cat and Charlie Dog had any TTA counterparts, either.

Happy 15th, Family Guy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDEJRuff View Post
    I don't think Mac and Tosh (The Goofy Gophers), Bert and Hubie, Claude Cat and Charlie Dog had any TTA counterparts, either.
    Does that count, though? Obviously those characters' TTA counterparts wouldn't have made it to the air if none were ever created in the first place.