Choppasmith is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Animaniacs DVD Oddities

Like This Thread!
    So I'm ripping all three volumes of my Animaniacs DVDs to play on my new HTPC. It's by far the most grueling TV Show given it's crazy format.

Anyway, going through all the segments there are two songs, "I'm Mad" and "Variety Speak" Where the whole segment seems to be in a cropped Wide Screen that leads to a boxed in effect when watching it on a Widescreen TV.

It's even a little crooked when you look at closely. I was just curious if there was any reason for it. Was it intended for some kind of theater featurette before a main showing or something? Anyway, I'm going to run it through a converter and try cropping the black bars and making it true widescreen.

My only other question is that I've been using the Animaniacs episode AHEM, which is AWESOME, and I noticed on episode 55

55 - Wed 16 Feb 94 - W/A - How urbaney 4

"Gold Rush" RR 406-854 W 7:02
    p mailbox, with elephant T :16
    "A Gift of Gold" NH 406-839 A 6:54
    "Dot's Quiet Time" NH 406-754 W 4:54

Pile Driver - Goodnight, Wakko / Goodnight, Yakko; G'night, Dot.
    Goodnight, Wakko; G'night, Yakko.
    Goodnight, Dot; Goodnight, John-boy.
    Let me outta this tower!!! 1

That Mailbox with the elephant segment is nowhere to be found. Everything else listed is there, but not that. I didn't see this pop up in any other episode either.

Again, just curious.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Choppasmith View Post
    Was it intended for some kind of theater featurette before a main showing or something?
    Yes, but only "I'm Mad" was released as a short.
    (Insert plug here)

Keeper is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My only other question is that I've been using the Animaniacs episode AHEM, which is AWESOME, and I noticed on episode 55

55 - Wed 16 Feb 94 - W/A - How urbaney 4

"Gold Rush" RR 406-854 W 7:02
    p mailbox, with elephant T :16
    "A Gift of Gold" NH 406-839 A 6:54
    "Dot's Quiet Time" NH 406-754 W 4:54

That Mailbox with the elephant segment is nowhere to be found. Everything else listed is there, but not that. I didn't see this pop up in any other episode either.
    Interesting! I wonder why that bit got cut from the DVD version. I know the DVD versions tended to be first-run versions of the episodes, which later had bits added, but by episode 55 I'm pretty sure I was adding to the AHEM as episodes aired, so that should be the first-run version listed out there.

I may have to make a video of that "lost segment"...

cognitofalcon is online now G'night evry' body!!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper

Interesting! I wonder why that bit got cut from the DVD version. I know the DVD versions tended to be first-run versions of the episodes, which later had bits added, but by episode 55 I'm pretty sure I was adding to the AHEM as episodes aired, so that should be the first-run version listed out there.

I may have to make a video of that "lost segment"...
    Please do, post episode 75 segments are also largely considered lost due to no WB DVD support
    I now use Tumblr regularly.
    http://cognitofalcon.tumblr.com/
    I'm also participating in Let's Plays now (Among other things)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SAFGuys

Not as cynical now a'days =) I am much happier too!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Yes, that was in the original airing.

I've read that the DVD version of "The Warners & the Beanstalk" is missing the title card.
    (Insert plug here)

Choppasmith is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erased Paper View Post
    Yes, that was in the original airing.

I've read that the DVD version of "The Warners & the Beanstalk" is missing the title card.
    Ah I was wondering about that too. XBMC's go-to site for scraping data, TVDB, adopted a "title card only" rule when cataloging segments and was wondering why segments without title cards like Lake Titicaca and the Warners and the Beanstalk are listed when they don't have a title card (yet ones that really should be listed like "Dot's Quiet Time" or "Yakko's World" don't)

Anyway, it takes a lot of work, but it's so nice to have all the segments organized. Yeah you can watch them order, but shuffling everything around and playing it like one long episode is a lot of fun.

But really thanks for the information guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Get out those original first-run Fox Kids airings (as well as international airings of things such as "Broadcast Nuiscance"), because we would rather see interlaced mixed bag sound than mucky-colored second-genration DVD slop. Heck, even Nicktoons re-runs I've seen *on a site I can't mention* look a million times better than DVD.

I really want to see the original commercials that comes after big dramatic act breaks (i.e. A Christmas Plotz, where we find out who the Ghost of Christmas future is)

DarthGonzo or Keeper should play their Fox tapings to show clips of stuff not on the Animaniacs DVDs.

Keeper is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, my original tapes don't have the original commercials, so that wouldn't help ya there...
    And they're EP so not very good quality. But at least they have all the right title cards and stuff. I guess Dot's Quiet Time also is missing its title card on the DVDs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Well, my original tapes don't have the original commercials, so that wouldn't help ya there...
    And they're EP so not very good quality. But at least they have all the right title cards and stuff. I guess Dot's Quiet Time also is missing its title card on the DVDs.

Keeper, can you upload the Animaniacs theme and end credits from one of your tapes (with Here's the show's name-y variable verse)? I really want to see the closed captioning bug again!