Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Behonkiss is offline Just put an X here and here...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Final Fantasy VIII- Why does everyone hate it?

Like This Thread!
    OK, I'm happy to report I got FF VIII for Christmas today(Still need to get FF IX), and after three hours of playing and expecting a crappy game, I have yet to find one. I'm getting a good story, great graphics and music, an OK battle system(Not the best, but I was expecting something nearly unplayable, and what I got works just fine.), and...Well, I just like it.

Here's what will irk people: I just can't see why people prefer VII over this and all the other FFs. After playing 6-10, I can say that VII is my least favorite of all of them. The characters don't have a lot of personality, the graphics suck, the music is grating and depressing, the Materia system is annoying, and everything just seems long, frustrating, and boring. The only reason I'm still playing is because I want to one day have the honor of finishing every Final Fantasy game.

So, can someone explain to me why the popular opinion is "VII rocks, VIII blows"? I just don't get it.

Borg4of3 is offline Slish Slash Slosh!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We had a thread of this a long time back:

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthrea...hreadid=40502&

They pretty much sum up my thoughts on what is wrong with FF8
    http://kdingo.net/champ/pics/main.php - My Gallery.
    http://www.cityofreality.com - A Webcomic about a World Worth Saving.

Conekiller is offline On the Cruise!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    now I didn't play thru the whole game but I can say thiat for me the reason i didn't like it as much ar others is here:

the characters were bland and uninteresting, i wanted Rinoa to die, Quistis was the only remotely likeable character in the whole bunch.

I hate the battle system

I don't like the idea of final FANTASY game being bogged down with so much Sci-fi (VII had this problem for me too)

my fave is 6

I think people would warm up to it more if it wasn't a "final fantasy" game and just a really cool Square RPG with blah characters

James is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't hate it. In fact I love it - but at the time of purchase I was disappointed. To summarise:

The GFs: While Junction is great, the GF animation is WAY too long, they appear too early in the game too, FF7 took at least 6 hours through before you even sniffed one giving the game better variation.

Very linear. Not much variation or even feeling of choice.

No hidden characters! That used to be so much fun!!

Odd story which sometimes got a little silly, but did keep an interesting pace.

yet....

Nice graphics
    Great animation
    Great score
    LAGUNA!!!!
    SELPHIE!!!
    Addictive - more than most games!!

After playing several times I decided this was as much as a fav as FF7 - it just had a very tough act to follow!!

Dark Knight Adventures 10th Anniversary Special
    - it's back!
    Twittering Jim - Twitter
    JamesMcLean.net - James' website
    "I turned to Aunt Agatha, whose demeanour was now rather like that of one who, picking daisies on the railway, has just caught the down express in the small of the back."

ZeroFate is offline Kondercet WINNAR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Final Fantasy VIII- Why does everyone hate it?
    It's called a bandwagon. Lots of people love to jump on it.

Seriously, I thought it was a great game. But no matter what, I think FFVIII was destined to be a disappointment to most people considering it was the follow up to one of the best RPGs of all time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    FFVIII wasn't a bad game; I thought the emotional aspect of the story was really great; and the graphics were cool. But, I just didn't like it all that much. I got it for my birthday and beat it in two months, and while, at the time, I thought it was the coolest RPG ever, once I was done with it, I lost all interest in it. With FFVII, even years after playing the game, I found myself still interested in the characters.

My main problem in the game is lack of detail. Note, I said "lack of detail", not "lack of information". But, here are the specifics.

1) I went in the tutorial section, and there's this wealth of background knowledge on Dollet and such that would've been very cool to hear and learn from the story.

2) GF's have no real part in the game. It shows that at least some of them are sentient, but they play no active role other than beasts of burden.

3) The whole friggin' idea of the Centra ruins and such has nothing about it. Not a thing. It's just there. It needs to have a history, and not to sound like someone who has to be explained everything, I would've liked to hear whatever information was known told to me in some fashion, so that way everyone in the game would hear it. With it being shoved in the tutorial, it leaves many who would've had the world enriched totally lost. WTF is this ruined place? Why the hell is there a dude with a pointy hat sitting there. What?

4) The memory loss thing. This is something I also disliked in FFVII; although that was explained marginally better than this. It's one second, they don't know anybody, and then all of a sudden, they grew up together? Screw the damn reason of the GF's making you forget (which was explained away way too easily), it would've been nice to have the slightest hint of foreshadowing.

5) Ultimecia's a weenie, and doesn't fit the role of a main villian at all. Don't deny it; she is. I mean, she's the "main villian" of the story, and she's not in a single cut scene? Sorry, but that grates on my nerves. If I'm going to go in time to do something, I'd better have a damn good reason for it. "I'm a SeeD; it's my job", right.

6) This is just personal preference, but why the hell did Balamb Garden have elevator music as the background song? It's a MILITARY ACADEMY; should have something that fits this description.

That's my reasons for not really liking it. It's not necessarily bad, per ce, but it's a dissapointment in comparison to other FF's.
    Recent fun stuff:
    - From the Ashes [JLU, C]
    - The Dark Knight Triumphant

"Mmm, bacon."
    "Stop it."

Nin-Nin69 is offline [CUE SQUEALING FANGIRLS]
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    3 reasons I never liked it:

1.The battle system was hard and sucked
    2.The GF's took too dam long just to do nothing in the end
    3.The story board me to tears

Allthough I heard that Cloud was a secret character in this a long time ago (or was it Tatics ). I bet its bs.

Skiptastic is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It sucked and it wasnt fun to play. Thems the only reasons ya need.

Zapages is offline Persian Prince
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As I am new comer to FF series, I got it for my PC... I played it for 3 hours the most then lost interest and got busy.... If I am not busy and nothing to do I will come back to the game to beat it... Not enough time for me to play this game, right now *coughI have a life and school cough*... It's a emotional love story which I can handle..

The things that took away from the fun was the battle system, and they could have made the map a better animated for the PC release. Also this may seem pathetic too all those FF experts, I got my defeated so easily from the first boss, the one in the cave...

If I ever play this game I'll have walkthrough next to me for the battles, because I suck at turn-based battles, except for Super Robot Wars Series...

In the end I like the game but I don't have the time to learn how to play this game... BTW: I lost my user manual,...
    I see two young birds flying in the sky
    Flapping their wings as they fly
    Spreading their love throughout the sky
    I see a young lonely bird flying in the sky
    Silently crying to himself as he flies
    Hoping that he’ll find his love before he dies - Zapages

Prince of Persia Legacy and Prince of Persia Gallery

FavreFactor is offline University Of Miami Hurricanes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like that game!! There's nothing wrong with that!!
    Why do people do things, why?? Sometimes I just wonder why but I can't figure it out. But I will. And when I do that will be the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast