Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Behonkiss is offline Just put an X here and here...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Final Fantasy VIII- Why does everyone hate it?

Like This Thread!

OK, I'm happy to report I got FF VIII for Christmas today(Still need to get FF IX), and after three hours of playing and expecting a crappy game, I have yet to find one. I'm getting a good story, great graphics and music, an OK battle system(Not the best, but I was expecting something nearly unplayable, and what I got works just fine.), and...Well, I just like it.

Here's what will irk people: I just can't see why people prefer VII over this and all the other FFs. After playing 6-10, I can say that VII is my least favorite of all of them. The characters don't have a lot of personality, the graphics suck, the music is grating and depressing, the Materia system is annoying, and everything just seems long, frustrating, and boring. The only reason I'm still playing is because I want to one day have the honor of finishing every Final Fantasy game.

So, can someone explain to me why the popular opinion is "VII rocks, VIII blows"? I just don't get it.

Borg4of3 is offline Slish Slash Slosh!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We had a thread of this a long time back:

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthrea...hreadid=40502&

They pretty much sum up my thoughts on what is wrong with FF8
    http://kdingo.net/champ/pics/main.php - My Gallery.
    http://www.cityofreality.com - A Webcomic about a World Worth Saving.

Conekiller is offline On the Cruise!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    now I didn't play thru the whole game but I can say thiat for me the reason i didn't like it as much ar others is here:

the characters were bland and uninteresting, i wanted Rinoa to die, Quistis was the only remotely likeable character in the whole bunch.

I hate the battle system

I don't like the idea of final FANTASY game being bogged down with so much Sci-fi (VII had this problem for me too)

my fave is 6

I think people would warm up to it more if it wasn't a "final fantasy" game and just a really cool Square RPG with blah characters

James is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't hate it. In fact I love it - but at the time of purchase I was disappointed. To summarise:

The GFs: While Junction is great, the GF animation is WAY too long, they appear too early in the game too, FF7 took at least 6 hours through before you even sniffed one giving the game better variation.

Very linear. Not much variation or even feeling of choice.

No hidden characters! That used to be so much fun!!

Odd story which sometimes got a little silly, but did keep an interesting pace.

yet....

Nice graphics
    Great animation
    Great score
    LAGUNA!!!!
    SELPHIE!!!
    Addictive - more than most games!!

After playing several times I decided this was as much as a fav as FF7 - it just had a very tough act to follow!!

Dark Knight Adventures 10th Anniversary Special
    - it's back!
    Twittering Jim - Twitter
    JamesMcLean.net - James' website
    "I turned to Aunt Agatha, whose demeanour was now rather like that of one who, picking daisies on the railway, has just caught the down express in the small of the back."

ZeroFate is offline Kondercet WINNAR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Final Fantasy VIII- Why does everyone hate it?
    It's called a bandwagon. Lots of people love to jump on it.

Seriously, I thought it was a great game. But no matter what, I think FFVIII was destined to be a disappointment to most people considering it was the follow up to one of the best RPGs of all time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    FFVIII wasn't a bad game; I thought the emotional aspect of the story was really great; and the graphics were cool. But, I just didn't like it all that much. I got it for my birthday and beat it in two months, and while, at the time, I thought it was the coolest RPG ever, once I was done with it, I lost all interest in it. With FFVII, even years after playing the game, I found myself still interested in the characters.

My main problem in the game is lack of detail. Note, I said "lack of detail", not "lack of information". But, here are the specifics.

1) I went in the tutorial section, and there's this wealth of background knowledge on Dollet and such that would've been very cool to hear and learn from the story.

2) GF's have no real part in the game. It shows that at least some of them are sentient, but they play no active role other than beasts of burden.

3) The whole friggin' idea of the Centra ruins and such has nothing about it. Not a thing. It's just there. It needs to have a history, and not to sound like someone who has to be explained everything, I would've liked to hear whatever information was known told to me in some fashion, so that way everyone in the game would hear it. With it being shoved in the tutorial, it leaves many who would've had the world enriched totally lost. WTF is this ruined place? Why the hell is there a dude with a pointy hat sitting there. What?

4) The memory loss thing. This is something I also disliked in FFVII; although that was explained marginally better than this. It's one second, they don't know anybody, and then all of a sudden, they grew up together? Screw the damn reason of the GF's making you forget (which was explained away way too easily), it would've been nice to have the slightest hint of foreshadowing.

5) Ultimecia's a weenie, and doesn't fit the role of a main villian at all. Don't deny it; she is. I mean, she's the "main villian" of the story, and she's not in a single cut scene? Sorry, but that grates on my nerves. If I'm going to go in time to do something, I'd better have a damn good reason for it. "I'm a SeeD; it's my job", right.

6) This is just personal preference, but why the hell did Balamb Garden have elevator music as the background song? It's a MILITARY ACADEMY; should have something that fits this description.

That's my reasons for not really liking it. It's not necessarily bad, per ce, but it's a dissapointment in comparison to other FF's.
    Recent fun stuff:
    - From the Ashes [JLU, C]
    - The Dark Knight Triumphant

"Mmm, bacon."
    "Stop it."

Nin-Nin69 is offline [CUE SQUEALING FANGIRLS]
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    3 reasons I never liked it:

1.The battle system was hard and sucked
    2.The GF's took too dam long just to do nothing in the end
    3.The story board me to tears

Allthough I heard that Cloud was a secret character in this a long time ago (or was it Tatics ). I bet its bs.

Skiptastic is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It sucked and it wasnt fun to play. Thems the only reasons ya need.

Zapages is offline Persian Prince
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As I am new comer to FF series, I got it for my PC... I played it for 3 hours the most then lost interest and got busy.... If I am not busy and nothing to do I will come back to the game to beat it... Not enough time for me to play this game, right now *coughI have a life and school cough*... It's a emotional love story which I can handle..

The things that took away from the fun was the battle system, and they could have made the map a better animated for the PC release. Also this may seem pathetic too all those FF experts, I got my defeated so easily from the first boss, the one in the cave...

If I ever play this game I'll have walkthrough next to me for the battles, because I suck at turn-based battles, except for Super Robot Wars Series...

In the end I like the game but I don't have the time to learn how to play this game... BTW: I lost my user manual,...
    I see two young birds flying in the sky
    Flapping their wings as they fly
    Spreading their love throughout the sky
    I see a young lonely bird flying in the sky
    Silently crying to himself as he flies
    Hoping that he’ll find his love before he dies - Zapages

Prince of Persia Legacy and Prince of Persia Gallery

FavreFactor is offline University Of Miami Hurricanes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like that game!! There's nothing wrong with that!!
    Why do people do things, why?? Sometimes I just wonder why but I can't figure it out. But I will. And when I do that will be the day.

Daredevil_2003 is offline The Man Without Fear
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love the game! It's the best of the series, IMO. The story and characters are engaging and although X and VII had better battle systems, the gameplay is still second-to-none!

I think what ZeroFate said about FFVIII being destined to dissappoint after the awesomeness that was VII and people jumping on the FFVIII hater bandwagon just because are the best explanation as to why FFVIII is so disliked.
    "He's like you? Do I have time to cover my ears and hide all the food, then?"

bfmusashi is offline looking to the stars...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One of the reasons many people disliked FFVIII was because it was completely different from the previous FF games. Many accomplished and accepted "FF rules" were thrown out the window with FFVIII, and the new portions of the game bothered a few. The Draw system is a perfect example. A great deal of people were used to automatically having characters that cast spells... But the Draw system required you to, basically, steal your spells from your enemies. The GFs were another aspect of the game that was widely criticized. While the animations were beautiful, they sure lasted too long, and by the 19th time, they got boring. This made battles drag...and drag....and drag. And finally, one of the more obvious changes that FFVIII brought to the FF formula was the removal of anime-influenced character designs. All the characters looked like real people, and not a single super-deformed head was in sight. Oh, and the Chocobos and Moogles were more or less non-existant. Needless to say, many older FF fans were shocked by these sudden changes, and used them as excuses to condemn the entire game.

However, there were plenty of people who fell in love with FFVIII, and still do. Some of these people were newer FF fans who hadn't experienced the older FF games, but there were also more open-minded FF veterans who decided to give the game a chance. Personally, though I haven't yet finished FFVIII, I enjoyed what I played of it. The story was certainly intriguing, the characters were fascinating, for the most part, and the combat and Draw systems were servicable, though slightly difficult to get used to. The GFs were annoying, yes, but I felt that the game was strong enough on a whole.

So, to answer your question, FFVIII was hated by some and loved by others because it ushered in a big change in the series. FFIX had a similar story. Many gamers who loved FFVIII for its daring changes hated FFIX for its revertion back to the simpler systems of the older FF games.

Rabbiterose is offline Enhanced With...Cuteness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought it was FF7 that ushered the big change in the FF series. *remembers when a lot of people complained about FF7* But I guess you can argue that there was a bigger change during FF8--though it somewhat borrowed part of the original FF for the NES in that magic casting didn't rely on MP, but getting spells from a differnt source.

I didn't really like FF7, but I really couldn't get into FF8. At least with the former I was able to finish it but with FF8 I stopped at the 3rd disk since the game's story, characters, and battle system bored me to tears.

I didn't like Cloud from FF7 so imagine my reaction to Squall which I found who was like Cloud--only 15x worse. His angsty, jerky ways got on my nerves and I'm wondering, "Sweet Jebus! I have to play as this guy?!" I did not care for Rinoa as the token love interest either...but then again I couldn't really care for any of the characters, honestly.

The battle system--well, I guess I have to give Square props to attempting something somewhat different and actually trying to give a point and make use of the long GF sequences by giving a Boost command(something other Sony generation FF should have had--at least), but the magic was quite worthless in this game. But I guess it didn't matter since everbody were clones(with the exception of their limit breaks)...just like in FF7. v_v; The point of the magic is to junction it to your weapon just to improve your physical attack and defences. That's it. Magic casting is hardly needed and GFs become more worthless as you junction magic to your weapons. I mean I missed that part of a FF game when you can defeat enemies by just your magic user. Thankfully it was brought back in FF9. =) Did I mention the battles seemed slow? Or maybe because I was starting to tire of the ATB system.

And this FF has one of the worse plot contrievances, ever.
    Spoiler:
    I'm talking about that scene in the orphanage where you found everyone--sans Rinoa knew each other as kids...despite being scattered around the world and they all happen to meet by coincidence. And to add to the insult the reason they couldn't remember each other was because of the usages of the GFs zapped their memories. Give me a break!

Truthfully, I thought FF7 was the worst FF game I've played and I thought FF8 would be a change of fresh air seeing that I would let Square off the hook seeing that FF7 was their first game on a new format and they would probably be used to it by FF8 rolled out. Boy was I way off the mark. So FF8 became my current least favorite FF game.
    Ohmygawd! This lurker actually changed her avatar after a year with Rabi~en~Rose and she still can't make a decent signature!

Pic coutesy of Team Artail

BlackCat is offline The Dark Knight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Final Fantasy VIII wasn't that bad, but I was hesitant to play it at first. I finally bought it when it hit the Greatest Hits line, and the biggest things that annoyed me was the battle system and the one-sided personalities. The drawing took too long, the unlimited GFs took away from actually attacking, and it just wasn't as fun as previous battle systems.

I wasn't too fond of the characters either. Squall's angsty personality wasn't too bad, but his sudden change seemed to come out of nowhere. Rinoa's attachment to him seemed kind of odd when he never showed any signs of liking her back. Everybody else's personalities seemed too stereotypical, but the plot and execution was great.

I didn't mind the sci-fi of FFVII or the fantasy of FFIX. I liked the style of FFVIII, and I was hoping to get a similar appearance from FFIX, though the current is fine. I'm hoping to see what it could have been in FFXII.
    Cat-Tales - The real Gotham After Dark.

James is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by blackcat

I didn't mind the sci-fi of FFVII or the fantasy of FFIX. I liked the style of FFVIII, and I was hoping to get a similar appearance from FFIX, though the current is fine. I'm hoping to see what it could have been in FFXII.
    Funny, the scifi was a big grumble at the time. I liked it, it was a change of scene - that angle made it a little unpopular, so much that IX fled back to basics so to speak.

For me it was just a let down from FF7, but then how could any game compare. FF8 is excellent, the music is floating through my head as I type!

Dark Knight Adventures 10th Anniversary Special
    - it's back!
    Twittering Jim - Twitter
    JamesMcLean.net - James' website
    "I turned to Aunt Agatha, whose demeanour was now rather like that of one who, picking daisies on the railway, has just caught the down express in the small of the back."

Web Head is offline Girlfriend + Bridge = Bad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've yet to play a Final Fantasy gameI haven't liked yet, and I put FF8 in a spot just below FF7 and FF6 (the greatest of them all). I was really into the Squall/Rinoa love story and I'd like to see something similar down the road as most FF romance barely skims the surface.

After the two lovers, I didn't find much else to root for in the party. There weren't any Barrett's or Steiner's or Rikku's or Tifa's that I really got into. There was a lot of potential, but I don't think they did as much as they should have here.

My only real problem with the drawing/junctioning magic thing was that it took too long somtimes. I didn't always like having to wait around while Zell tried to draw Triple.

My biggest problem with the game actually was the weapon modification. Call me old school, but I like to BUY my weapons, not scour for an hour looking for parts. Still, I will maintain till the day I die that Squall's gunblade is the single coolest Final Fantasy weapon ever !
    "That's the worst idea since Greedo shooting first."
    -Holden McNeil

"With great power comes great responsibility."
    -Uncle Ben

Conekiller is offline On the Cruise!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Web Head
    Still, I will maintain till the day I die that Squall's gunblade is the single coolest Final Fantasy weapon ever !
    I have to agree with you there

Poser Wannabe is offline Para Para King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hated FF VIII because I hate playing a game where I can't relate with the main character in some way, or I hate playing the main character. I can't stand Squall, he whines a lot, and is dumber than a box of rocks. His stupid "whatever" attitude got really old. I hated playing as Squall from the start, and he was the main character! The way Squall acted through the game was awful and he treats Rinoa like ****, yet she keeps running back to him. I never really saw Squall grow as a person in the game, and in the end he still had his "whatever" attitude. He never shows Rinoa any real affection, never says I love you, never shows any respect to his friends, and above all has the worst attitude ever.

The graphics were amazing and really pushed the envelope on the PSX. I really was in awe during some of the FMV sequences. The CG secured in everyone's mind that Square really is the god of CG.

I disliked the way you "gathered" magic, that was pointless and dumb. I just put a rubber band on my controller, left it for a hour, came back and I had 99 cure's, etc. Next I could just summon one of my espers (I can’t remember what they were called in FF VIII) and win most fights. And don’t forget about having to watch the summon videos, VERY cool the first couple of times, but after the 10th time you dread having to summon them. After the 30th time, you refuse to summon them just cause you are so freaking sick of the long summon sequence.

The story line was pretty good, the graphics were past amazing, and the game had some really bad ass scenes. But the game play (for me) was horrid, a stupid mini game (card game, sorry I hated playing that damn game), and Squall. IMHO Squall was the main factor in my dislike of the game, and yes I played through the entire game. FF VIII is a perfect example of “graphics don’t make the game” theory.
    Poser Wannabe
    My DVD Collection

Conan-san is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Lemmie put it this way...

In any battle orentated Rpg the meat of the gameplay is the the battloes themselves, not anywhere else are you gonna Lose and get the Gameover screen flashed in your face or You win and get that sweet ending sequence.

SO ff8's goes out of it's way to be the 2nd worst battle system in the whole series (I hated the FF10 battle system...)

You have to Summon to get anywhere (which is not good,) you cant work up that well, (Outside of basic stats you dont get anything esle for enduring the battles...)

It's a chore to watch the summons again and again and again....

It You have to spend ages seting up GFs and no one want's to do that.

Limit breaks suck due to there random apperences (no inication of when it will happen...)

You have to steal Magic attacks? Uh sorry last time I checked not even the Black Mage form 8-bit thereter could do that....