Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Harvest Moon Wars of 2014

Like This Thread!
    There's a video game battle brewing and it's not Sony vs. Nintendo vs. Microsoft. It's XSEED vs. Natsume for virtual farming supremacy!

To make sense of this situation you have to go back to 1996. Natsume Inc., the US division of Japanese developer Natsume Ltd., decided to pick up Pack-in-Video's Bokujo Monogatari (literally, Farm Story) farming simulation game for the Super Nintendo. The company felt that Harvest Moon would be a better name than the literal translation, so they registered that as a US trademark. Throughout the years various successive entries would also be handled by the company.

Over those same years, a series of company acquisitions and mergers saw Pack-in-Video become Marvelous. Marvelous owns the North American publishing company XSEED and has now decided to take the western releases of Bokujo Monogatari internal. As Natsume owns the Harvest Moon name, the latest 3DS entry has been renamed to Story of Seasons. Unwilling to lose their most notable series, Natsume has opted to develop Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley at their new Japanese studio. Both games are scheduled for launch this fall on the 3DS.

I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

Undrave is offline Forever Burning Heart!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh my, that's an interesting cunnundrum... I've been meaning to get Harvest Moon 3D: A New Begining but I might wait for one these two titles...(Lost Valley look like a wannabe Minecraft a bit though).

So what happens with the Rune Factory franchise?

And is Harvest Moon: Lost Valley going to get Japanese release under the name Harvest Moon?

"People who meddle with secret identities get their memories erased."
    -------------
    "You murdered your own alter ego? Sounds socially awkward."

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Marvelous filed the US trademark for Rune Factory themselves, so XSEED would likely be on tap for any future entries. It does need to said that the developer behind the series, Neverland, shut down earlier in the year. Rune Factory is successful so I do think someone else will take on the series.

As for your second question, Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley hasn't been announced for a Japanese release as of yet.
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita