Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
    I have an iMac, and I plan to get Parallel Desktops for it so I can use Windows. Hopefully that will suffice for PC gaming.
    Steam supports cross-buying (buy once, get for all supported OSes) and has Mac support. A large number of games will run on your Mac without virtualizing thanks to this. GOG.com also supports this for a number of their titles as well. Both make natively gaming on a Mac much easier than it would be.

That said, a lot of your Triple A titles don't have Mac support or there is a delay in release to them, so be aware of that.

Edit: Humble Bundle various features, the Bundles, the Weekly Sales and the Store makes it a point for most of their bundles to have Windows/Mac/Linux support for all the titles they sell in most cases.
    Last edited by Matt Hazuda; 12-05-2013 at 11:12 PM.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The big, end-of-year clearing-out of your PC gaming dollars begins as Steam's Holiday Sale starts today.

I picked up Monaco since it was part of the Daily Sale. As a reminder, unless an item is a Daily Sale or Flash Sale (those change every 8 hours), it may be wise to wait. Daily/Flash is the lowest price point an item will get during a Steam sale.

Amazon is also having a digital games sale (and a good chunk of them are able to be activated on Steam, make sure to check the item's page for confirmation though) and as if to further make sure you don't have extra money/no free time outside games, Humble Bundle for PC/Android 8 has launched and the Humble Store is having their winter sale. GOG.com is also running their 2013 DRM-Free Winter Sale currently (and a lot of their games work just fine on older/underpowered PCs since they have a number of classics in addition to modern games).

So if you've recently joined the Master Race, or want to get into it a bit more for great prices, you came in at a good time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Valve is giving away the gift of Left 4 Dead 2 to any Steam users. Install the game before 1PM EST tomorrow (12/26) and it's yours to own forever (it doesn't need to be completely installed by then, you just need to click the Install button to start the process, so you can do it on older PCs or something you may not want it on if you don't have access to your gaming PC of choice).

Steam seems to be having loading issues (likely related to the deal), so just keep checking throughout the day.

defunctzombie is online now I have chortles!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Huh... I went to download it and it turns out I already bought it and #1 a while ago. Darn steam sales!
    Stalemate Resolution Associate for Video Games and Cafe Toonzone
    tumblr/Nintendo ID: defunctzombie

Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Update on the keyboard situation: It turns out that wireless keyboards work PERFECTLY for gaming on my Windows 8.1 rig.

Sure, it also means that I'll have to swap out the batteries whenever they burn out, but at least I'm not getting awful lag like on the USB keyboard. It's a hand-me-down Microsoft keyboard from my friend, so I'm thankful to him for that. (I really didn't wanna spend any more money for upgrades, anyway.)

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So what about Steam Machines? Valve just unveiled some yesterday.

Valve Unveils 13 Steam Machines, With Specs And Prices

I had an idea that these would be priced competitively with consoles, maybe even cheaper, but holy crap, that was wrong. Some of these cost thousands of bucks. The cheap ones are $500, and it seems like you could probably get better specs if you built your own PC. Yeah, this will probably not be my entrypoint into modern PC gaming.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 01-07-2014 at 03:17 AM.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah.....what's supposed to be the appeal of those, again?! Why would anyone want one of these when they could get a standard PC and both game and do other things with the machine? One could hook a PC up to a television right now with the right equipment if you wanted to. I don't understand. Maybe a handful of years down the line cost will drive down and this will actually make sense.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    Yeah.....what's supposed to be the appeal of those, again?! Why would anyone want one of these when they could get a standard PC and both game and do other things with the machine? One could hook a PC up to a television right now with the right equipment if you wanted to. I don't understand. Maybe a handful of years down the line cost will drive down and this will actually make sense.
    It's less about the machine and more about the OS.

Do you own a smartphone, or at least pay attention to them? If so, then Valve is employing the same strategy from that industry.

iPhones are only made by one manufacturer: Apple.

Windows Phones are made by four manufacturers: Nokia, HTC, Samsung, and Huawei.

Look at all the manufacturers that run Android:

HOLY COW! Note that Android, Inc. doesn't make phones of their own; they just make the software, and since it's so open, it's the most widely used operating system for smartphones.

Valve has the same idea with SteamOS. You can only play Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles. You can only play PS4 games on Sony's hardware. Valve wants SteamOS to be open for any device that wants to use it, thus providing more options available and making its use widespread.

defunctzombie is online now I have chortles!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The problem with that being as long as their machines make a profit, you will never see MS or Sony supporting it, and many people are hesitant to shop outside of what they know.
    Stalemate Resolution Associate for Video Games and Cafe Toonzone
    tumblr/Nintendo ID: defunctzombie

Wounded_Dragon is offline Beast in the Machine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Didn't they try this already with the 3DO?
    Playing: DC Universe Online(PS3)
    Watching: *Netflix backlog*

At least 15 percent of the moviegoing audience experiences headache and eyestrain during 3-D movies. I'm one of them. And no, I don't need corrective eyewear.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast