Search the Site:
Follow Us:

View Poll Results: What was your favorite side-scrolling multi-player arcade game?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
    wonderfly is online now In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What was your favorite "multi-player" arcade game from the 90's?

Like This Thread!

Retro-gamers unite!

Anyone remember the great 90's multi-player arcade games? Not the Street Fighter type game (where two people battle each other) but the games allowing 4 to 6 players, these were side scrolling games.

Games like:

X-Men
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
    The Simpsons

What was your favorite?

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hmm. My head tells me the TMNT arcade game was better made and had somewhat less cheap boss fights. My heart, however, refuses to let me forget six players, explosions and such timeless lines as "X-MEN: WELCOME TO DIE!" Probably X-men, oh so slightly. It delivers the simplest joys of playing a brawler.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There were three that my friends and I loved playing more than any others: X-Men, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Captain America and the Avengers.

If I had to pick one, though, it would definitely be X-Men. One of the only arcade games that I could ever reach the end of and beat on a regular basis. If the day comes that I can ever afford to make a video game room, I would love to buy my own. Whenever I go to the Beach Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, I always hit up the arcade, because to this day they still have X-Men (the original six-player version with double screens, not the later scaled down four-player version). It's a great trip down memory lane.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Currently Watching: Arrow, Bates Motel, The Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Elementary, Unforgettable.

Gatordragon is offline El Zombino - level 1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well, I didn't play much arcade games in the 90s because I was still very young, but in the 2000s I liked to play Gauntlet: Legends at my town's arcade. It was unlike any other game there. It was a three-dimensional, medieval fantasy, hack n' slash co-op. I liked to play as the blue warrior because I like the color blue and I like warrior types. It's where the phrase, "Blue Warrior needs food badly!" Comes from.

In eighth grade, I managed to find the expanded version, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, for the PS2 at GameStop. My brother would sometimes play with me as the yellow knight, but I beat the game by myself. I hated playing by myself because it was so much more fun playing with others. The game is still at my parents' house somewhere, but I don't play PS2 games anymore ever since I got the Xbox 360. I have had my fill of the game, so I don't see much point in playing it again.
    Last edited by Gatordragon; 11-07-2013 at 08:04 PM.

El Zombino of the Huracan clan from Urban Rivals

For little brother, Jorgito, life is above all a tale of opportunities. So what better time to put this to the test than during the Festival of the Dead in Los Santos? Jorgito and his sister have concluded that, OK, you may not be able to negotiate with death, but you can make some damn good money out of it!

Anyone00 is offline The Moltar-Snork
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The ones I played that left the biggest impression on me are the Capcom beat'em up that were on a 4 player CPS2 cabinet in an arcade in where I was at the time (they transitioned to a new game in the cabinet when it came out): Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom, Alien vs. Predator, Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara.

I also remember at a previous arcades there was a Captain America and the Adventures four player cabinet and at another Sunset Riders was put into a large projection screen setup.
    Joris: Your story makes me want to have a little brother, Papycha. Isn't that weird?
    Kerubim: Don't worry, Jojo. You have your whole life to meet new brothers. Some you will choose, others will ruin your life, and others still will make it worth living...

Neo Yi is online now The Great "Lord" Starscream
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, the only two I played on the list was Turtles in Time and The Simpsons. On the one hand, I adore the heck out of the Simpsons arcade and I think I have slightly better fondness for it all, but I remember Turtles in Time feeling a lot more "full." Then again, I haven't played Turtles in Time in a very long time, so my perception may be different if I replayed it after so long. So...I guess Simpsons Arcade for now.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    "Dawn's breaking on Cybertron." I review Windblade #1. Spoiler-free!

Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Maybe it's because I didn't play X-Men arcade until it came out on the PS3, or maybe it's because I played one-player mode, but that was a real letdown for me after hearing how much fun it was. Part of it was that the levels and music tracks were pretty bland and forgettable, two things that make a big difference in the mood of a beat-em-up.

I have fond memories of the first TMNT game ("FIRE!" "HANG ON, APRIL!") and The Simpsons ("Whoa! Look out, world!"), both of which were a lot of fun in my condo back in the day, and both of which still hold up fairly well, even in 1-player mode.

Psychopulse is offline Parting is such sweet sorrow
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alien vs. Predator. I was about to vote Turtles in Time (I barely played the original arcade version when I was younger), but this game gave me an even bigger appreciation for beat' em ups than ever before.
    "If you so much as dare to be unhappy, bears will rain down from the sky and stare you down until you get back into line. Happiness is inevitable. The Care Bears are your friends."
    TV Tropes on the Care Bears

http://ced75.deviantart.com/

Rick Jones is offline Crazy Marvel Love
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Konami side scrollers were pretty much what took most of my arcade cash that wasn't spent on fighters (X-Men, TMNT, Simpsons, Bucky O Hare, etc). There was something about being able to do little things like fling a Foot Clan ninja at the screen that seemed so amazing to me as a kid. Two player shooters like Lethal Enforcers and Time Crisis, or racing games like Cruisin' always got me too.
    "I've had the same car since I was 19 years old, and never had a problem, yet this thing falls out of the sky every other Thursday." - Maria Hill

Miyamoto Musashi is offline Sword Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The X-Men game
    The only early Ninja Turtle games I played are Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 on the NES and one on the old Gameboy
    Blogger
    Humans are the most peculiar of the living creatures
    Nowdays I can hardly be surprised