Search the Site:
Follow Us:

View Poll Results: Social Gamer or Lonely Gamer?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Social Gamer

1 10.00%
  • Lonely Gamer

9 90.00%
    Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Are You More of a Social Gamer or More of a Lonely Gamer?

Like This Thread!

I was watching new video of Super Mario Bros. 3D World and thinking, "Wow, that looks like a lot of fun. But it looks like the most fun is for four players."

And that leaves me out. I don't have three people to play games with me, I don't even have one. Except of special occasions when I get together with my brother or with my friend in another state, my game-playing is done alone. I really like coop when there's someone here to do it with me, but for the most part if a game is focused on that I go on to another game. For most of my systems I only have one controller, because I only need one.

That's part of the reason the Wii never really did much for me, I guess, because so much of the experience involved physically playing with other people. And part of the reason Nintendo's reluctance to add online co-op to games like the one mentioned above makes me feel left out, because I can't get a couch party together for four players.

I think it's probable that older gamers are more likely to be lonely gamers. Once you or your friends start having kids and increased responsibilities there just isn't enough time to really set aside pre-planned time to game with friends. You grab your gaming in whatever snatches you can. Even when I try to play online with my brother all I hear is his wife nagging him or his kids trying to get his attention through the headset.

Online play is a fun experience, but it's not a complete substitute for couch co-op. You don't really feel like you know the other person. I have enjoyed some moments in DCU Online and Journey, though. I don't have the time or skill to get good at any kind of competitive online game, so I've only played those in short burst.

I also do tend to gravitate toward games that are made more for lonely gamers. RPGs and story-based experiences.

So what about you guys? Remember to vote in the poll.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 10-26-2013 at 05:04 AM.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Gatordragon is online now El Zombino - level 1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I guess I'm a little bit of both, but I like playing social games. I play many solo games, but there's something about multiplayer games that I don't get with single player experiences; especially nowadays. I love online multiplayer because it allows me to play with way more people than local. The best local multiplayer can have is four players, but online can have twelve, twenty four, or even thirty two. Human players are a much different experience than artificial intelligence. I get more of a thrill knowing that enemy I beat was controlled by a person instead of a machine. I admit it's weird playing with total strangers, but with a headset we can at least communicate. People tend to cooperate better if they can talk to each other. Even without a headset, I still manage to use teamwork with players on my side, mostly through common courtesy. However, if I can, I'll play local multiplayer with friends because it's a fun way to spend time and bond.

I know there's downsides to online multiplayer, such as trolls, griefers, or people swearing, but for me, the good outweighs the bad. I treat my fellow teammates with respect and they usually do the same to me. If they're hurt, I'll heal them. If they're in trouble, I'll come to their rescue. I'm such a teamplayer, I tend to get friend requests from other players. I turn them down because I prefer to be friends with someone I can meet face-to-face.

I also notice that when playing with friends, we tend to screw up more often than we do solo, but we generally don't care. I don't care about beating the game, I care about having fun. Sometimes screwing up and losing is fun. My favorite games to play with others locally are Rayman Legends, 'Splosion Man, most racing games (like Blur), most sports games (like NBA Jam), and certain fighting games (like Def Jam: Fight for New York and Injustice: Gods Among Us).

Currently, I'm situationally a solo gamer because my parents won't allow me to keep the Xbox 360 and the public Xbox 360 on campus has been taken by the higher ups last month. Fortunately I have ShadowGun: Deadzone on my iPad and it allows me to get my multiplayer shooter fix. Once I get my Xbox 360 back, you can bet I'll be playing online. It's been a while since I played Halo 4, Blur, and other games with online multiplayer.

EDIT: Jeez, I must be the only person on Toonzone who likes playing with others. That one vote for social gamer in the poll? That's me. I guess growing up with a brother and having friends that are into video games steered me towards team playing.
    Last edited by Gatordragon; 10-29-2013 at 03:21 PM.

El Zombino of the Huracan clan from Urban Rivals

For little brother, Jorgito, life is above all a tale of opportunities. So what better time to put this to the test than during the Festival of the Dead in Los Santos? Jorgito and his sister have concluded that, OK, you may not be able to negotiate with death, but you can make some damn good money out of it!

Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    "Lonely gamer" is a really pejorative term; I prefer "single player gamer" myself.

But anyway, that's what I am. Even as a kid, it wasn't feasible to have friends over every single day, and my sister wasn't really into video games for the most part, so that left me with mostly single player.

As an adult, none of my friends are big into video games so I stick to single player again. It doesn't really depress me because that's what I've been used to.
    "Ah, crusty pants, a filthy wall, good morning!"

Neo Yi is offline The Great "Lord" Starscream
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Lonely gamer for the most part. Every so often my sister will play the usual Mario game with me, but she's lost video games recently, so it's mostly just been me. And I've never been one to go online and play with other players. I rather like having a game to myself most of the time.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    "Dawn's breaking on Cybertron." I review Windblade #1. Spoiler-free!

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I pretty much go solo because my consoles are all hooked up to my personal television in my apartment room and my roomies aren't very into the console game scene. The 360 in the living room sees casual use at best and they watch far more TV than I do, so it's easier and better to have things split off so there aren't sharing issues with the main television.

I've found that this hasn't been such a drag for Nintendo's platformers. When it's four at once things can be pretty chaotic in fact, particularly if partners are moving at a dramatically slower or faster pace. Multiplayer is good for casual fun, but I also found that there was sufficient challenge to get invested in all on my own in the New Super Mario line.

Also I gravitate toward RPGs, and those are single player. Games with the best storytelling tend to be that way.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

GingaDaiuchuu is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I wouldn't use the term "Lonely Gamer" to describe myself, but most of my gaming is solitary. I'm obviously a much bigger fan of anime (and manga) than video games, so it makes sense that I tend to seek out video games that offer a similar experience, specifically in story quality. Most of those are JRPGs, and having started my gaming with that genre, I love that kind of gameplay anyway, most of which is exclusively single-player. Now that the new Pokemon games are out and I suddenly have tons of friends who are into it, I'm getting a little more social with it, which is very fun for this particular situation as well. But that's the exception.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

Miyamoto Musashi is offline Sword Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Lonely, definitely
    After playing some games with split screen co-op, I decided it's not for me
    I only play 2 players if it's a sports game or a fighting game, and it's rare to happen
    Blogger
    Humans are the most peculiar of the living creatures
    Nowdays I can hardly be surprised

defunctzombie is online now Stalemate Resolution Associate
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm going to sound like a hermit, but I hate playing with other people, especially strangers over the internet. There's no control. At least if you're in the same room, you can coordinate your efforts. You don't have to worry about some 12 year old messing your groove and then swearing like a sailor for laughs.

But even with local 2 player, it's tough if you're not on the same level as your partner. I played Kirby with my niece and although I'm the better gamer, she knew that particular game better than I did, so we were constantly goofing each other up.
    LATEST ARTICLE: Samurai Jack: Beyond Nostalgia
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    "Fooooooooooolish samurai!"
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My experiences in Japan as told by comics: my tumblr <3

DarkAngel is offline Lord Vader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    More solitary gaming for me. Tend to prefer games like RPGs or something like the Arkham games (which I've been playing and replaying a lot).

On the more "social" side of things, I will get together with a friend or two, or with my brothers, and play multiplayer on a FPS, like Halo or Call of Duty. And I've really enjoyed playing through Halo campaigns with my brother on co-op. Don't tend to play FPS otherwise, if its by myself.
    There are many ingredients in the stew of annoyance.
    --Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy.

Storm Eagle is offline Power to the peaceful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by defunctzombie View Post
    I'm going to sound like a hermit, but I hate playing with other people, especially strangers over the internet. There's no control. At least if you're in the same room, you can coordinate your efforts. You don't have to worry about some 12 year old messing your groove and then swearing like a sailor for laughs.

But even with local 2 player, it's tough if you're not on the same level as your partner. I played Kirby with my niece and although I'm the better gamer, she knew that particular game better than I did, so we were constantly goofing each other up.
    I don't care about playing games with other people online either. After what I just saw you say, I might just avoid it altogether.

I'm also a single gamer. Like Classic Speedy, I've just become accustomed to playing games alone after all my years of playing video games. Don't get me wrong though, since I've played video games with other people and enjoyed it.
    The artist formerly known as PRdude.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm more of a solo player too. I only play handheld games, so there aren't a lot of opportunities to play with other people that way. Plus, I'm used to playing generally by myself. I used to play video games with my older brother, but then I beat him once, he got really mad and we stopped playing then, There was also school work piling up for both of us and then I got more into handheld systems while he stuck with the consoles, but that did factor into it. I can play with people online with my Pokemon games and I have battled a friend of mine every once in awhile, but I don't do it on a regular basis.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Solo player all the way.