Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Guy View Post
    Well, c'mon now! At the very leat, it'll be better than TMNT: Smash Up!
    Other than the small roster and excessive Rabbids, gameplay wise Smash Up was one of the better Smash Bros. clones. Leagues ahead of that Japanese only game with Optimus Prime, Bomberman, Solid Snake and Simon Belmont in it and Cartoon Network Punch-Time Explosion for two.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    According to the official site we'll see new character reveals in 35 days.

Here's some other videos and previews that should help explain the game a bit better:

Parappa vs. Kratos in a Battle Royale
    Hades Gameplay
    Sandover Village Gameplay
    Interview with Senior Producer Ivan Glaze
    Interview with Game Director
    First Impressions
    First Impressions Part 2
    Hit Points
    Game Informer Hands On
    G4 Hands On Preview
    Joystiq Hands On Preview
    Shack News Hands On Preview
    Destructoid Hands On Preview
    Eurogamer Hands On Preview
    IGN Hands On Preview
    IGN Podcast Beyond Talk

Quote Originally Posted by The Talon View Post
    Also, I heard someone suggest "Playstation Battle Opera" as a title for this. Not that big a fan of it, but it's much more marketable than All-Stars Battle Royale at least.
    Believe:

It'll also be an eye opener to those who thought the "X" button was pronounced like the letter! (It's supposed to be pronounced "Cross").

Unfortunately, because this was posted online there's no chance of it being the final name.
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

TnAdct1 is offline I WANT MY MEWTWO!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Takao View Post
    According to the official site we'll see new character reveals in 35 days.
    In order words, expect more characters to announced the day before Sony's E3 press conference.
    Joe Klemm
    Toon Addict for Life and "gated community" member since August, 2002.

"ph34r t3h cute ones" -Megatokyo

RogueFanKC is offline Eulalia!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Am I the only one?

I had to ponder this for a day before I realized why this game irritated me.

So everyone is basically OK with this being a clone right down to the mechanics and UI? I do understand that if games copy each other, some things would be the same, but some things would be different as well. But when you have Fat Princess almost copying Princess Peach's move-set, then I call that lazy and being mediocre in production and innovation, if not outright theft. And yes, I'm aware that this happens in the video game industry all the time, but does that make it right?

And that's the thing: Sony has the potential to make their own crossover 4-player fighting game that though may be inspired by Smash Bros., it can still offer a unique take that can still be fun and challenging and appeal to the fans without being an outright backhanded copycat. Sony is better than that and they shouldn't need to resort to something like this. It's basically saying that since something works, we can copy it with minimal effort. And if you're OK with a company like Sony putting mediocre effort in a game design, then I should point out you better be OK with how they and other video game companies can be mediocre in a game's story and game-play (note: to the people who complain about the "Mass Effect 3" ending, I'm looking at you).

People on other message boards say that "imitation is a form of flattery". That is generally true, but if Sony copies Nintendo's games one day and then makes venomous jabs about how the company sucks and how Sony is better (Playstation Move vs. Wiimote, anyone?), then it's not flattery. It's a backhanded slap, if not hypocritically underhanded. Frankly, if Sony releases a Kevin Butler commercial about Battle Royale and how it's better than Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I'm going to the studio and slapping Kevin Butler hard across the face myself.

Interested? Perhaps. Will I buy it? On the fence, but it may change, based on what I see later down the road. But should people say that this is what Sony does and how it will always be and how it should always be and Nintendo needs to suck it up with this kind of borderline copyright infringement and Sony's verbal barbs? Not a chance in H-E-double hockey sticks.

TL;DR version: This is copying, and Sony shouldn't need to do that. They're better than that. Copying the Smash Bros series ruins their integrity, IMO.
    Posted from EW's "Moviegoer's Bill of Rights":
    IF you are an advertiser who's hell-bent on making us sit through an insufferably stupid commercial for your product, thus helping to delay the start of the movie by 15 minutes, WE RESERVE THE RIGHT to boycott your product, and to miss no opportunity to explain that we do not, and never will, Wanta Fanta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Except the game's mechanics aren't all that similar to Smash Bros.? This game is a race to launch super moves to see how many knock outs you can land. You don't bat out your opposition, and there's no health bars. If you watch the Game Trailers videos I posted (under the "First Impressions" listing) the guys even said they came in with the mentality that it was a Smash clone and realized it didn't play much like Smash at all. Visually the game is shameless, but gameplay-wise it seems Super Bot has indeed tried to shake things up.

As for Fat Princess, she uses her minions for combat. Does Peach use Toads/Toadettes to fight? No.

Also, I've PMed two mods to change this thread title to "[PS3] PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (Pre-Release Discussions)" since like Friday...

Daxdiv is offline The Fool!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As for Fat Princess, she uses her minions for combat. Does Peach use Toads/Toadettes to fight? No.
    Summoning Toad is one of her attacks. It's her B ability where it's used as a counter.

RogueFanKC is offline Eulalia!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Except the game's mechanics aren't all that similar to Smash Bros.? This game is a race to launch super moves to see how many knock outs you can land. You don't bat out your opposition, and there's no health bars. If you watch the Game Trailers videos I posted (under the "First Impressions" listing) the guys even said they came in with the mentality that it was a Smash clone and realized it didn't play much like Smash at all. Visually the game is shameless, but gameplay-wise it seems Super Bot has indeed tried to shake things up.
    OK, I looked at the "First Impressions" video, and I have to admit that I now feel better. Granted, the trailer made it seem very SSB, but now after seeing both videos, I feel much better about the game play and recant my initial worries.

However, I won't like it if Sony gets on their high horse and use this to bash the Smash Bros. games.
    Posted from EW's "Moviegoer's Bill of Rights":
    IF you are an advertiser who's hell-bent on making us sit through an insufferably stupid commercial for your product, thus helping to delay the start of the movie by 15 minutes, WE RESERVE THE RIGHT to boycott your product, and to miss no opportunity to explain that we do not, and never will, Wanta Fanta.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Destructoid poking some fun at this idea.

Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Takao

Also, I've PMed two mods to change this thread title to "[PS3] PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (Pre-Release Discussions)" since like Friday...
    Peach,s minions are Mario and Luigi, so yeah.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)