Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    defunctzombie is online now Stalemate Resolution Associate
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need some regular PSP advice

Like This Thread!

Okay, as lame as it sounds, I want a PSP so I can play Crisis Core and one or two others. It looks like the 3000 is the better one, but is it really that much better than the 2000? If I'm just going to be playing a few RPGs, I don't need all the bells and whistles. No Vitas, no Gos, just a PSP.

PSP owners, which one do you suggest I get?
    LATEST ARTICLE: Samurai Jack: Beyond Nostalgia
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    "Fooooooooooolish samurai!"
    My experiences in Japan as told by comics: my tumblr <3

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by defunctzombie View Post
    Okay, as lame as it sounds, I want a PSP so I can play Crisis Core and one or two others. It looks like the 3000 is the better one, but is it really that much better than the 2000? If I'm just going to be playing a few RPGs, I don't need all the bells and whistles. No Vitas, no Gos, just a PSP.

PSP owners, which one do you suggest I get?
    The 3000, cause that's the only one you can get new and you don't want a scratched up, used handheld with a UMD drive that might quit on you. The 3000 is still pretty cheap.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The big difference between the 3000 and the 2000 are the screens. The 2000 used the exact same screen from the 1000 models, which meant it suffered from ghosting (ie, images stayed on the screen a bit after they should've left). The 3000 uses a much more vibrant screen that has better colours, but with the negative effect of scanlines. That said, scanlines are not something everyone notices. The 3000 also offers added TV output capabilities, so it's kind of an easy choice.

Both the Go, and Vita don't suffer from either screen issues. The Go in particular is IMO PSP Perfected, but the issue of course being game selection on PSN. The ability to tether a PS3 controller, and output the display to a TV for a mini-console is kind of surreal.
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

Bryangst is offline JERK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I owned a 1000 for a long time and had no issues with it at all. Wince you plan on playing only a couple RPG's, there is no reason to not get a 1000 or 2000 if you can find one cheap enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryangst View Post
    I owned a 1000 for a long time and had no issues with it at all. Wince you plan on playing only a couple RPG's, there is no reason to not get a 1000 or 2000 if you can find one cheap enough.
    You shouldn't recommend him a 1000 unit. The 2000/3000/Go all have 64MB of Ram compared to the 1000's 32MB. This helps game loading, allows Skype access, and in certain games (like Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep) have options not applicable to the 1000 unit. Of course, there's also the screen that suffers from ghosting, lack of TV output and the overall weight of the unit that make the 1000 unattractive.

Bryangst is offline JERK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The RAM I wasn't aware of between the 1000/2000. Defunct did say he's not looking for all the bells and whistles. I would assume bells and whistles include Skype and tv output.Obviously the 2000 and beyond models are far superior to 1000 for the Ram alone, and I will take back my recommendation of the 1000 model. However I would imagine the ghosting issue wouldn't be that severe of a drawback to buying the 2000. The 3000 does sound like the winning candidate though.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    One problem I ran into with the 2000 is that it's harder to replace the screen if you crack it. 1000 screens are common and cheap, but getting a 2000 screen as a replacement after I broke my brother's PSP was such a hassle that I just went ahead and bought him a new 3000. That was a couple of years ago, the situation might have changed since then.

It's really easy to crack the screen, too. I didn't drop my brother's PSP or anything, I just put it in a a case with a game too many and closed the lid and that slight pressure destroyed it. And UMD drives are just a moving part that can fail. These things were not the most sturdily made or well-designed. So that's another reason to go new if possible.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryangst View Post
    The RAM I wasn't aware of between the 1000/2000. Defunct did say he's not looking for all the bells and whistles. I would assume bells and whistles include Skype and tv output.Obviously the 2000 and beyond models are far superior to 1000 for the Ram alone, and I will take back my recommendation of the 1000 model. However I would imagine the ghosting issue wouldn't be that severe of a drawback to buying the 2000. The 3000 does sound like the winning candidate though.
    She. She's not looking for all the bells and whistles.

The Go is out of the question. I'm not going to trade a disc drive for a slightly less interlaced screen, and I don't even have or want a PS3.

The 3000 seems like the one to go with, though I wish it came in blue like the 2000.

Chaos Yoshi Mage is offline The Lonely Raven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I bought a used 2000 a couple years ago because I was/am poor and couldn't afford a new 3000. It's completely fine and I've never had a problem with ghosting at all, it just means my PSP's wallpaper sticks around for a second after a turn it off, not a problem for me, in fact, I think it's kind of cool. I mean, if you find a 2000 for absurdly cheap or something it's not a bad investment, but the 3000 is pretty cheap now. Just don't get a Go, I agree with Takao, that design wise it's fine, and looks better than the PSP, but PSN-only is super lame, might as well save that money for a Vita if one was going to get one of those. Heck, Crisis Core (Which is awesome) isn't on PSN (I think), so you couldn't even play my favorite PSP game on the thing.
    Hey everypony! Check out new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starting September 17th on The Hub! You'll be 20% more awesome!

Trying to get back into Pokemon, PM if you want to battle in Black/White!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Go is out of the question. I'm not going to trade a disc drive for a slightly less interlaced screen, and I don't even have or want a PS3.

The 3000 seems like the one to go with, though I wish it came in blue like the 2000.
    You might be able to find one of these:

If you find that in a store somewhere it'll likely be a lot cheaper than the $169 price point (that was from when the bundle was released in 2010). The game it comes with is a fun augmented reality creature capturing game. Nothing deep, but as said before, a fun little game.

Bryangst is offline JERK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Haha, my apologies!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Yoshi Mage View Post
    I bought a used 2000 a couple years ago because I was/am poor and couldn't afford a new 3000. It's completely fine and I've never had a problem with ghosting at all, it just means my PSP's wallpaper sticks around for a second after a turn it off, not a problem for me, in fact, I think it's kind of cool. I mean, if you find a 2000 for absurdly cheap or something it's not a bad investment, but the 3000 is pretty cheap now. Just don't get a Go, I agree with Takao, that design wise it's fine, and looks better than the PSP, but PSN-only is super lame, might as well save that money for a Vita if one was going to get one of those. Heck, Crisis Core (Which is awesome) isn't on PSN (I think), so you couldn't even play my favorite PSP game on the thing.
    I thought the Go was a pretty neat design at first. Shortly after messing with it for a while I realized the buttons were too small for somebody with bigger fingers. Not that my fingers are too big, but it was definitely pretty uncomfortable.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Regarding the packs, what about the MGS Peace Walker one? It's a 3000, it's not black, and if the game is halfway decent, I could spring for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Regarding the packs, what about the MGS Peace Walker one? It's a 3000, it's not black, and if the game is halfway decent, I could spring for it.
    I assume you mean this one:

That's a pretty swanky model. Peace Walker's a great game. It's actually my second favourite MGS game behind Snake Eater/Subsistence but some don't care for the controls which admittedly can take some time getting used to due to PSP's one analog nub.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I went with that one. I probably paid a little more off of Amazon than I needed to, but we don't have any stores here that would have stuff in stock (and I refuse to buy from Gamestop anymore).