Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Pre-Release)

Like This Thread!

While we knew there would be a 2D Mario on 3DS, Nintendo has confirmed that New Super Mario Bros. 2 will be launching this August during their Nintendo Direct webcast. They released a couple of unflattering screenshots:

(Note: These are captures from the video stream)

Expect a blowout at E3.
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So, real flight seems to be back. About time, I say. Wasn't too fond of the fact that in 3D Land, the suit was apparently just there to slow Mario's descent.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Leviathan is offline "It's against nature!"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We're getting Mario games at a steadier clip than ever before. Remember when there was only one console platformer per generation and all the portable games were remakes?

Call me crazy, but I was kind of hoping that NSMB2 would take elements from, well, SMB 2, like throwing vegetables, Shy Guys and having Peach and Toad playable. That merged with the more traditional Mario stuff would be interesting.

Still, this looks tantalyzing.
    Zim: "I thought the Tallest killed you."
    Skoodge "Yeah, but I'm all right now."
    Mad Jack the Pirate: "You were DEAD! How do you get better from being DEAD, you Scottish twit?!??"

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I loved the Wii game, but I never got the original DS version.

Oh well, I'll still be picking this up eventually.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    We're getting Mario games at a steadier clip than ever before. Remember when there was only one console platformer per generation and all the portable games were remakes?

Call me crazy, but I was kind of hoping that NSMB2 would take elements from, well, SMB 2, like throwing vegetables, Shy Guys and having Peach and Toad playable. That merged with the more traditional Mario stuff would be interesting.

SMB2 in the US isn't really SMB but a reskin of Doki Doki Panic.

Personally, I'm not all that interested in this. You're right in that we're pretty much in an annual Mario platformer cycle and I'm pretty burnt out. It doesn't help that NSMB on DS was one of the easiest platformers I have played (I have yet to play Kirby's Epic Yarn so maybe that'll change).

CyclonatorZ is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Takao View Post
    It doesn't help that NSMB on DS was one of the easiest platformers I have played (I have yet to play Kirby's Epic Yarn so maybe that'll change).
    True, but the last few Mario platformers have amped up the difficulty, especially in the post-final boss content (which this game will almost certainly have).

"Two thousand five hundred tons of awesome!" Dr. Newton Geiszler, accurately summing up Pacific Rim.

PC!
    PC! is offline lolwut?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Meh, doesn't look like anything we haven't seen in either other NSMB game. Except the raccoon suit, of course. And Gold Mario, which could be interesting.

Gonna get it regardless.

My webcomic: Zack and Zeke

A heartwarming nonsensical tale comedy of friendship errors between a boy moron and his sarcastic alien

straw_hat is offline Senior Member Monsters in Bunnyland Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've only played the first New Super Mario Bros. on the DS so I'm definitely excited for this especially with the inclusion of the original super leaf power up.

Scrappy-Fan92 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post

Well, there was the NES which had 3 Mario platformers.

straw_hat is offline Senior Member Monsters in Bunnyland Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As far as Nintendo of Japan is concerned Super Mario Bros. 2 is not the Doki Doki Panic re-skin.

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Right. The reskin referred to wasn't released in Japan until the early 1990s, when it was released as "Super Mario USA". "Super Mario Bros. 2" refers to the 1986 Famicom Disk System release that is really not so much a sequel as it is a harder version of the original game.

With this in mind, Nintendo of America may have to retitle this one in order to avoid confusion. After all, the game doesn't appear to involve throwing vegetables, plus I imagine we'll only be able to play as Mario and Luigi. While this is technically the 3rd NSMB game, calling it NSMB 3 might not be appropriate despite the return of Raccoon Mario and the return of the "power meter".
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

O-chan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I stopped thinking Nintendo was competent at sequel naming when they pulled Mario Kart 7 out of nowhere. I love how their promoting what I'm guessing is a new Mario classic platformer line, while the console versions seem more focused on Co-op play. Still I agree with people this is a bit much but with the rumors that console gaming may become a thing of the past maybe Nintendo is trying to make sure all their franchises get as much exposure before that comes to pass.

O-chan
    Please view my artwork and my musings here:
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/

Lenny128 is offline Likes Cartoons
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Huh it's almost as if they are breaking out all the Mario games early for this console. So far it looks ok. I'm glad the brought back the raccon look. I hope it turns out as good as the wii one and not follow the path of the DS one which in my opinion was one of the worst Mario games.

Right now besides "Mario Tennis Open" the one I'm really waiting for is "Paper Mario 4".
    Last edited by Lenny128; 04-24-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This game will be the first to simultaneously see release on eShop as a digital download, and at retail.