Search the Site:
Loading...
Follow Us:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32
  1. #21
    spartanx54's Avatar
    spartanx54 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    623
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

    Orbis is a stupid name, they should stick with the PlayStation brand, I highly doubt they won't stick with it. As for the used games thing, that really sucks, I like buying used used games. Downloadable games will come eventually, probably after the PS4/Xbox 720/Wii U generation, I've embraced the digital age, and I'll say it upfront, I wouldn't mind buying my games digitally. As GEOtaku has said Sony has said that PS3 will have a longer life cycle (10 years they said)
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

  2. #22
    Takao's Avatar
    Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Outside of PSP (which Sony could still pump out in Japan until 2014 I guess), all of Sony's hardware has had 10 year life cycles. All that means is that Sony pledges to support them for ten years by producing them and encouraging development. It doesn't mean Sony won't release a next generation PlayStation platform within ten years. They aren't going to wait until 2016 to release the next console. Heck, Sony still makes PS2s, and there are still games being released for it. PS2 came out in Japan in the year 2000.

    There's also no way they drop the PlayStation branding. It may be hurting right now, but it still is quite powerful, and certainly better than starting with a new brand. The only questionable thing in regards to the name is if Sony calls it the "PlayStation 4". IIRC the number 4 has negative connotations in various Asian cultures, and is a sign of bad luck. After the PS3, and Vita Sony doesn't need more bad luck.

    I would say though, don't believe these rumors unless they're actually confirmed by Sony. As Pachter pointed out, the anti-used games schlock was used against the PS3, and look what happened there. A lot of websites will use the onset of new hardware as an opportunity to spout out nonsense to get hits. They know once the real news actually comes out no one will remember their made up nonsense, and call them out on it.
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

  3. #23
    NewcomerDC's Avatar
    NewcomerDC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    6,356
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    With all of this talk about the hurting of sales of used games, remember that some GameStops have gotten rid of their PSP games, old and new, for the PS Vita despite it not having the largest library of games at the moment.
    I don't need a signature. I'm too cool for one. LOL

  4. #24
    TacoHunter's Avatar
    TacoHunter is offline Master of None
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Frozen wastelands of Colo
    Posts
    1,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As it currently stands Sony couldn't release a new console even if they wanted to. Odds are looking pretty good for them to step out of the console race altogether. They're bleeding money like crazy, even their blockbusters like Uncharted aren't exactly setting the sales charts on fire. Really, its not looking very good for Sony Computer Entertainment. Odds are unless they start to make a lot of money real soon, we'll be seeing next gen be Nintendo vs Microsoft.

    And if that happens...a new competitor like OnLive or the rumored Steambox could easily steal the show. OnLive because there is no hardware you need to upgrade. Steambox because it'll be backward compatible with most every PC game.
    Varcraft - The Forever Work in Progress.

  5. #25
    LDEJRuff's Avatar
    LDEJRuff is offline I'll be back...
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Campbellsville, KY
    Posts
    496
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd get my fingers crossed if they stylized the "4" to be the Roman numeral "IV". It would be said as "PlayStation Four" but read as "PlayStation IV".

    Happy 15th, Family Guy


  6. #26
    Bryangst's Avatar
    Bryangst is offline JERK
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    670
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoHunter View Post
    As it currently stands Sony couldn't release a new console even if they wanted to. Odds are looking pretty good for them to step out of the console race altogether. They're bleeding money like crazy, even their blockbusters like Uncharted aren't exactly setting the sales charts on fire. Really, its not looking very good for Sony Computer Entertainment. Odds are unless they start to make a lot of money real soon, we'll be seeing next gen be Nintendo vs Microsoft.

    And if that happens...a new competitor like OnLive or the rumored Steambox could easily steal the show. OnLive because there is no hardware you need to upgrade. Steambox because it'll be backward compatible with most every PC game.
    Sony's earnings release for fiscal year 2011 haven't even been released. How can you know this? The majority of their consolidated losses thus far have been from the Thailand floods anyway.

  7. #27
    Takao's Avatar
    Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoHunter View Post
    As it currently stands Sony couldn't release a new console even if they wanted to. Odds are looking pretty good for them to step out of the console race altogether. They're bleeding money like crazy, even their blockbusters like Uncharted aren't exactly setting the sales charts on fire. Really, its not looking very good for Sony Computer Entertainment. Odds are unless they start to make a lot of money real soon, we'll be seeing next gen be Nintendo vs Microsoft.

    And if that happens...a new competitor like OnLive or the rumored Steambox could easily steal the show. OnLive because there is no hardware you need to upgrade. Steambox because it'll be backward compatible with most every PC game.
    Early April Fools joke?
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

  8. #28
    TacoHunter's Avatar
    TacoHunter is offline Master of None
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Frozen wastelands of Colo
    Posts
    1,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryangst View Post
    Sony's earnings release for fiscal year 2011 haven't even been released. How can you know this? The majority of their consolidated losses thus far have been from the Thailand floods anyway.
    From Gamasutra,
    Sony President Kazuo Hirai
    "We really need to buckle down and be realistic," he explained. "I don't think everybody [working at the company] is on board, but I think people are coming around to the idea that if we don't turn this around, we could be sitting in some serious trouble."

    He added, "We can't just continue to be a great purveyor of hardware products, even though some people expect us to do that."
    I know I'm making a bit of a presumption. But its not exactly baseless. Aside from Thailand's flooding, Japan was hit with a very large earthquake and tsunami last year, and Sony did front a lot of cash to help with recovery.
    Varcraft - The Forever Work in Progress.

  9. #29
    Takao's Avatar
    Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The problem here is that you're equating Sony Corp to Sony Computer Entertainment. SCE has been profitable for about a year at this point, but actual numbers are difficult to come by due to the fact SCE shares their division with Sony Electronics tablets, PCs, and soon to be Sony Mobile. SCE is relatively safe even though the early life of the PS3 was the biggest disaster Sony, and the video gaming industry had ever seen. Hirai, whom no longer works at SCE but Sony proper, believes it to be a pillar of the company. There will be a next generation platform from them.

    I'm not quite sure where you're getting the idea that SCE's games do not sell very well. Uncharted 3 shipped 3.8 million units on day 1, and Gran Turismo 5 is just around 7.5 million and will likely hit 10 million by the end of this generation.

    The majority of Sony's woes come from the TV division, which has been awful for them due to a strengthening yen vs. weak foreign currency which gives Korean brands the upper hand. Hirai's main task has to be to get the TV division working again.

    Most pin point Sony's problems on the back of Idei, who clearly was not the visionary CEO that Ohga, and others were. It was believed Idei poorly handled Sony's transition into the digital age, and the pain the company is in now is due to that.
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

  10. #30
    TacoHunter's Avatar
    TacoHunter is offline Master of None
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Frozen wastelands of Colo
    Posts
    1,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, the problem with Gran Turismo is that each installment in the main series keeps selling less and less and the developers want to keep adding more and more, which means higher development costs. I actually think GT5 is really cool and better then Forza if only for the free updates to add more content. I can't find how much it costs to make GT5, but I have to assume it was really high, because it was pretty unpolished when it first launched.

    Uncharted is their best seller, but the thing is you compare it to the other flag ship titles like Mario or Halo it does sell quite a bit less. We can't look at these sales in a total vacuum. And what about Sony's other series like Killzone, Resistance, or Infamous? I'm not trying to say these are bad games, because I think they're great games and probably the best reason ever to own a PS3 over a Xbox. The problem is people don't seem to agree.

    They keep buying Xboxes, and I don't know why. Because Microsoft doesn't have anything anymore. They sold off most of their IPs and closed down most of their internal development studios. Sony on the other hand is turning out gold and people just aren't buying.

    That's why I don't think there will be a PS4. Sony is pushing as hard as they can, yet they're still behind Microsoft.

    Why do you think Microsoft downsized their internal studios? Microsoft couldn't afford it. So they cut cost. Sony is pretty much in the same boat. So odds are we'll see them downsize their studios or maybe just pull a Sega and become a "software" company, for their games division at least. Other circumstantial evidence, HP leaving the PC hardware market, and I recall hearing Dell was doing that too, but I can't seem to find the article i was reading about that anymore.
    Varcraft - The Forever Work in Progress.

  11. #31
    GWOtaku's Avatar
    GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    16,827
    Blog Entries
    45
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Amid further rumormongering is the tidbit from earlier in the year that Sony definitely won't be showing new hardware at E3 2012. Ideally the rumor will be put to bed after this (kinda interesting how more info gets out around the start of April, hm?), though my guess is that instead this anonymous source will continue putting stuff out there that will get reported on the grounds that everything might be true except for the theoretical 2013 timetable.

    I'd note though that the previously asserted 10-year lifespan for the system would set the window for release to approximately 3-4 years from now, admittedly a little sooner if Sony gets motivated to beat Microsoft to the punch.

    To no one's surprise, I advise healthy skepticism. I remember so much bad information from when "Nintendo Revolution" rumors were around...and what I suspect is that the rumors we're hearing now are equivalent of "Wii HD" rumors that got around quite some time before Wii-U was something anybody had heard anything about. Those had grains of truth, but the reality turned out to be something very different.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson
    ______________________
    Vote in the TZ Forums' "Battle of the Brackets" Action Cartoon Tournament!

  12. #32
    Takao's Avatar
    Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    Amid further rumormongering is the tidbit from earlier in the year that Sony definitely won't be showing new hardware at E3 2012. Ideally the rumor will be put to bed after this (kinda interesting how more info gets out around the start of April, hm?), though my guess is that instead this anonymous source will continue putting stuff out there that will get reported on the grounds that everything might be true except for the theoretical 2013 timetable.

    I'd note though that the previously asserted 10-year lifespan for the system would set the window for release to approximately 3-4 years from now, admittedly a little sooner if Sony gets motivated to beat Microsoft to the punch.
    Sony could call another PlayStation Meeting, separate from the rest of the industry. This is how Vita was announced.

    Also, the ten year life cycle thing doesn't refer to them not releasing new hardware within ten years. Both the PS1, and PS2 had ten year life cycles. The PS2 launched 7 years into the PS1's life, and the PS3 six years into the PS2's life. All it means is that Sony pledges support for ten years. It's a promise that once next gen comes around Sony won't just drop support for the PS3 like Nintendo dropped the GameCube, and Microsoft the Xbox at the first second possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by TacoHunter View Post
    Well, the problem with Gran Turismo is that each installment in the main series keeps selling less and less and the developers want to keep adding more and more, which means higher development costs. I actually think GT5 is really cool and better then Forza if only for the free updates to add more content. I can't find how much it costs to make GT5, but I have to assume it was really high, because it was pretty unpolished when it first launched.
    All racing games have seen decline this generation, but that doesn't change the fact Gran Turismo is still #1. Though it needs to be noted that Gran Turismo 5 Prologue + Gran Turismo 5 is higher than Gran Turismo 4 Prologue + Gran Turismo 4. That's not decline. The issue with GT5 is how long it took to come to market. GT games traditionally have long legs, and it seems to be true here. This is all on a userbase that is a fraction of the PS2's.

    Quote Originally Posted by TacoHunter View Post
    Uncharted is their best seller, but the thing is you compare it to the other flag ship titles like Mario or Halo it does sell quite a bit less. We can't look at these sales in a total vacuum. And what about Sony's other series like Killzone, Resistance, or Infamous? I'm not trying to say these are bad games, because I think they're great games and probably the best reason ever to own a PS3 over a Xbox. The problem is people don't seem to agree.
    Uncharted is not their best seller. As of March of this year the Uncharted franchise sits at 14 million units shipped. That figure includes 4 games. Gran Turismo 5 and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue combined have shipped just under 13 millionand counting.

    The other series you mentioned are the second tier pack. Resistance is basically a dead IP once Burning Skies on Vita ships next month. Insomniac is dropping the series, and it hasn't been a good seller since the first one. Killzone exists because the Dutch government heavily subsidizes the studio who makes it. As for Sucker Punch, obviously the sales for the inFamous series are well enough for Sony to want to purchase them.

    Quote Originally Posted by TacoHunter View Post
    They keep buying Xboxes, and I don't know why. Because Microsoft doesn't have anything anymore. They sold off most of their IPs and closed down most of their internal development studios. Sony on the other hand is turning out gold and people just aren't buying.

    That's why I don't think there will be a PS4. Sony is pushing as hard as they can, yet they're still behind Microsoft.

    Why do you think Microsoft downsized their internal studios? Microsoft couldn't afford it. So they cut cost. Sony is pretty much in the same boat. So odds are we'll see them downsize their studios or maybe just pull a Sega and become a "software" company, for their games division at least. Other circumstantial evidence, HP leaving the PC hardware market, and I recall hearing Dell was doing that too, but I can't seem to find the article i was reading about that anymore.
    Imagine how much worse off the PS3 would be without those Sony exclusives. Brands aren't built in a day, and I'm certain Sony feels the same as well. Microsoft doing a firesale of their internal studios will make it difficult for them to retain talent in the future, and given that they realistically only have 3 IPs (Halo, Fable, and Forza) that isn't a good thing.

    An option like going third party isn't really applicable to SCE since they're so much bigger than SEGA. Sony would have to shut down a tonne more studios simply because there would be less platforms to support (No Vita, and no PlayStation Suite).

    They're not going anywhere. There will be new PlayStation hardware. Heck, Polyphony Digital - who is Sony's biggest studio in terms of success, developed the assets for Gran Turismo 5 in a higher resolution than the PS3 can handle simply because it'll make for an easy transition next generation.
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
This community is listed in
the mega forums index project
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO