Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    speedy fast is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have Sega CD/32X/Saturn/Dreamcast games been rereleased?

Like This Thread!
    The title basically says it all. Though I do know that Sonic CD for Sega CD and Sonic R for Sega Saturn have been rereleased as part of the Sonic Gems collection, but have any other games for the short-lived Sega CD, Sega 32X, Sega Saturn, and Sega Dreamcast system ever been rereleased for any other video game systems? I'm mainly referring to rereleases as part of a video game collection release, but stand-alone releases are also okay.

I'm pretty sure there haven't been "collection" releases themed around those system like there has been for Sega Genesis.... But I think those would be interesting ideas. Gamers who want to see what the games for those systems are like wouldn't have to track down the actual systems.

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes many have.

Sega CD

Snatcher (Saturn/PS1, albeit only in Japan. NOTE: The Sega CD version was itself a reissue of the earlier PC-Engine Super CD remake)
    Sewer Shark (3DO)
    Night Trap (director's cut version using the original unreleased Hasbro Nemo footage of the game on 32X, PC, and 3DO)
    Sonic CD (PC, PS2, PSN, XBOX Live Arcade, Steam)

32X

Knuckles Chaotix (PS2)
    Virtua Racing Deluxe (PS2 Japan)

Saturn
    Radiant Silvergun (XBOX Live Arcade)
    Guardian Heroes (XBOX Live Arcade)

Dreamcast

Sonic Adventure (Gamecube, XBOX Live Arcade)
    Sonic Adventure 2 (Gamecube, XBOX Live Arcade)
    Ikaruga (Gamecube, XBOX Live Arcade)
    House of the Dead 2 (Wii)
    Shenmue (XBOX)
    Crazy Taxi (PS2, XBOX 360)
    Space Channel 5 Part 2 (XBOX 360)
    Phantasy Star Online (Gamecube, XBOX)

There are probably more than that but that's what coming off the top of my head.

VictoryStar is offline "Here is your first present~"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Um Lord Dalek Knuckles Chaotix has NEVER been rereleased. If it had been I would own a copy lol.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy fast View Post
    The title basically says it all. Though I do know that Sonic CD for Sega CD and Sonic R for Sega Saturn have been rereleased as part of the Sonic Gems collection, but have any other games for the short-lived Sega CD, Sega 32X, Sega Saturn, and Sega Dreamcast system ever been rereleased for any other video game systems? I'm mainly referring to rereleases as part of a video game collection release, but stand-alone releases are also okay.

I'm pretty sure there haven't been "collection" releases themed around those system like there has been for Sega Genesis.... But I think those would be interesting ideas. Gamers who want to see what the games for those systems are like wouldn't have to track down the actual systems.
    The problem with collections like you're talking about is that most of the stuff isn't owned by Sega or is based on a license. If Sega tried to put together a disc of what it actually owns in English for Sega CD, for example, it'd be pretty slim pickings mostly including Sonic CD, Shining Force CD, a couple of Ecco the Dolphin games, Eternal Champions, Afterburner III and Wild Woody. It might still be worth doing to gamers, but it's doubtful it'd make Sega enough money to care.

As for other non-compilation releases.

Edit: I didn't count 3DO or PC Engine CD or CDI in any of this because they're a bit obscure and nearly contemporary to the Sega CD. Also, if you started listing those with Sega CD you'd be here all day.

For Sega CD:

Some, like Time Gal, Ninja Hayate and Snatcher were re-released for the Japanese Playstation.

Some of the US FMV titles like Night Trap had PC versions.

Digital Leisure has released a number of games that were popular on the Sega CD for a variety of formats, including DVD players, iOS and Wii. Most of these are like Dragon's Lair, though, Laser Disc games that didn't originate on Sega CD.

Panic! actually got a PS2 re-release in Japan.

Vay was re-released for the iPhone.

Special updated versions of Lunar: Silver Star Story and Lunar: Eternal Blue were released for Playstation. These are really great.

For Saturn:

Too many Saturn games out there to look into for sure, but the original Nights was remade for PS2 in Japan. Nope, we didn't get it.

With the Dreamcast, most of the major games have been ported to other systems. A lot of stuff got ported to PS2 or Gamecube, and Sega even released some of the games for PSN and Xbox Live.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/...-other-systems
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The arcade version of Daytona USA (which is, for all means and purposes, the Saturn version as well) recently got a high def PS3/XBox 360 port.

And 32x Doom is on, well, take your pick. Of course, the non-32x versions will have more levels anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins
    With the Dreamcast, most of the major games have been ported to other systems. A lot of stuff got ported to PS2 or Gamecube, and Sega even released some of the games for PSN and Xbox Live.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/...-other-systems
    That list left out a few things:
    -Centipede (not listed): PS1, Dreamcast.
    -Garou: Mark of the Wolves: XBox 360.
    -Marvel vs. Capcom 2: PS3/XBox 360.
    -MDK2: WiiWare.
    -Mr. Driller: XBox 360
    -San Francisco Rush 2049: As part of Midway Arcade Treasures 3 (PS2, XBox, GC).
    -Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (not listed): PS1, Dreamcast.
    -Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2: Mac.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Daedalus View Post
    The arcade version of Daytona USA (which is, for all means and purposes, the Saturn version as well) recently got a high def PS3/XBox 360 port.

And 32x Doom is on, well, take your pick. Of course, the non-32x versions will have more levels anyway.
    That list left out a few things:
    -Centipede (not listed): PS1, Dreamcast.
    -Garou: Mark of the Wolves: XBox 360.
    -Marvel vs. Capcom 2: PS3/XBox 360.
    -MDK2: WiiWare.
    -Mr. Driller: XBox 360
    -San Francisco Rush 2049: As part of Midway Arcade Treasures 3 (PS2, XBox, GC).
    -Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (not listed): PS1, Dreamcast.
    -Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2: Mac.
    Yeah, it's five years old, so newer stuff isn't on it.

Unfortunately the Xbox Live/PSN Daytona US doesn't have the tracks that were added in the Saturn Championship Edition or the Dreamcast Version. If you really want the full console experience like speedy fast does you'd have to track down those versions.

Similarly, I'm pretty sure the PS2 Sega Ages Virtua Racing is based on the arcade version. It only has three tracks, where the 32X had five.

32X Doom is its own cracked out thing. You can't count other games as a port of it even if you forgive the missing levels. It has quirky choices to make it work on the underpowered system, like not having the rear-monster animations.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoryStar View Post
    Um Lord Dalek Knuckles Chaotix has NEVER been rereleased. If it had been I would own a copy lol.
    Yeah you're right, for some reason I thought they'd included with Sonic Gems Collection,

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Similarly, I'm pretty sure the PS2 Sega Ages Virtua Racing is based on the arcade version. It only has three tracks, where the 32X had five.
    You're correct, the Sega Classics Collection version of Virtua Racing is based on the arcade. However, it has three new tracks that can be played in practice mode.

Also, the Saturn version had ten tracks, seven of which were new. So if you want every single VR track, you have to get the 32x version, the Saturn version, AND Sega Classics Collection. Yeesh.

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure any port of Crazy Taxi has been extremely disappointing. All name brands and I think certain music tracks have been removed from the game due to licenses expiring from my understanding.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Dogbert is offline I Don't See Gravity
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hazuda View Post
    I'm pretty sure any port of Crazy Taxi has been extremely disappointing. All name brands and I think certain music tracks have been removed from the game due to licenses expiring from my understanding.
    Not any port; only the recent ones. The Playstation 2 and Gamecube ports contain the same music and brand names as the Dreamcast and Arcade releases. The only changes I ever noticed in that round of port was that the voices (or at least some of them) were re-recorded (seemingly to tone down the racial stereotypes). It's the PS3 and XB360 ports that have been stripped of just about everything...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast