Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    As nifty as it is to have added online support for this version, I'll stick with the SNES version. It had better sound quality, for one thing.

Jave is offline So Smashing... In Space!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The Online isn't worth it, either. Based on NintendoLife here's how it works.

Getting online is easy — a pop-up menu before the title screen gives you the option — and you can choose to battle a stranger or a friend, as long as you swap those Friend Codes of course.

It's all very basic, with no communication or names displayed; unless playing a friend you never know who you're playing against, and that takes some of the magic away from the experience. You can play the same opponent immediately after a fight, but there's no way to add them to a rivals list or even thank them for a good game. Connect, fight, disconnect; it's all rather soulless. Thankfully the online play is mostly smooth, though we did hit a few rough patches.
    Yeah, not worth it. I already own the SNES version so I'm sticking to that.
    Jave's Support Gallery - My Tumblr Blog detailing my current run of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

What a Cartoon Review Blog - My own project where the goal is to write a detailed review to the original 48 WAC shorts.

Storm Eagle is offline Power to the peaceful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Daedalus View Post
    As nifty as it is to have added online support for this version, I'll stick with the SNES version. It had better sound quality, for one thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jave View Post

Yeah, not worth it. I already own the SNES version so I'm sticking to that.
    The SNES version had better graphics and sound, but I always thought I wouldn't mind getting the Genesis version if it was ever made available on the Virtual Console. One thing the Genesis version did have over the SNES version is the option to fight all twelve basic fighters before the four bosses, as opposed to just fighting a random choice of eight of the twelve basic fighters. Mind you, my mind isn't really made up about getting this yet.
    The artist formerly known as PRdude.

Dogbert is offline I Don't See Gravity
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    NINTENDO DOWNLOAD HIGHLIGHTS NEW DIGITAL CONTENT FOR NINTENDO SYSTEMS - May 3, 2012

Also new this week:
    Super Hang-On (Virtual Console for Wii)
    The VC trickle continues for another week...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'll probably pick this up at some point. I'm glad they went with the arcade version instead of the Genesis one, which felt slower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    NINTENDO DOWNLOAD HIGHLIGHTS NEW DIGITAL CONTENT FOR NINTENDO SYSTEMS - MAY 10, 2012

Also new this week:
    Wonder Boy in Monster Land™ (Virtual Console™ for Wii™)
    Monster World IV (Virtual Console for Wii)

As a side note, this will be the last time I regularly post the weekly updates. Over the past five and a half years, a lot has changed. We went from robust "Wii-kly Updates" to meager trickles of releases. It's been over a year since any new Wii download release has interested me (Fluidity) and I still haven't been persuaded to buy a 3DS (it will happen eventually, but there's still too few games that interest me - retail or otherwise). Additionally, I've become increasingly concerned about the direction of downloadable media. Though Nintendo hasn't yet gone the way of other companies that release crippled games just to fuel DLC, they have stuck to using DRM. If my hardware breaks, they'll usually transfer the account, but what about in 10 or 15 years from now? Will they still do it then? And how much will I have to pay for that service? I realize most people aren't bothered by long term issues like that, but I am, and that only further diminishes my interest in downloadable games. The bottom line is this: When the Wii-kly Updates started, I looked forward to them every Monday to see what we were getting. I feel no such excitement today and haven't for a long time now. That's not necessarily all Nintendo's fault; part of it is me. In any case, posting these updates was once fun, now it's something that is simply there on my already quite full Thursday to-do list. Most of the releases are shovelware anyway, so responses to specific releases have been minimal. I'll still be here lurking and posting when I have something to add to the discussion, but I will call it quits with posting the press releases with this week's additions. If someone else wants to take over, that's great. If not, then I'm sure the thread will pop back up whenever something worthy of discussion gets released.

(Didn't plan on this being my 3,000th post, but the timing seems to have worked out that way)

Dogbert is Out! Peace!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I still keep an eye on North American VC releases, so I could do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert
    If my hardware breaks, they'll usually transfer the account
    Forgive my ignorance, but does that still work if you only use pre-paid Nintendo points cards?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Daedalus View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but does that still work if you only use pre-paid Nintendo points cards?
    The payment method is irrelevant, as they still associate purchases with your console's unique identification number. Generally speaking, Nintendo of America will transfer accounts/games if you send them your original system in for repairs and they personally transfer it to a new system. There is no guarantee they'll always do it, sometimes they charge for it, and sometimes they refuse/up-charge if they detect homebrew (even of the legal variety) software. It's a very cumbersome process and entirely contingent of them being willing to do it.

Batmex is offline Avengers Assemble!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
    As a side note, this will be the last time I regularly post the weekly updates. Over the past five and a half years, a lot has changed. We went from robust "Wii-kly Updates" to meager trickles of releases. It's been over a year since any new Wii download release has interested me (Fluidity) and I still haven't been persuaded to buy a 3DS (it will happen eventually, but there's still too few games that interest me - retail or otherwise). Additionally, I've become increasingly concerned about the direction of downloadable media. Though Nintendo hasn't yet gone the way of other companies that release crippled games just to fuel DLC, they have stuck to using DRM. If my hardware breaks, they'll usually transfer the account, but what about in 10 or 15 years from now? Will they still do it then? And how much will I have to pay for that service? I realize most people aren't bothered by long term issues like that, but I am, and that only further diminishes my interest in downloadable games. The bottom line is this: When the Wii-kly Updates started, I looked forward to them every Monday to see what we were getting. I feel no such excitement today and haven't for a long time now. That's not necessarily all Nintendo's fault; part of it is me. In any case, posting these updates was once fun, now it's something that is simply there on my already quite full Thursday to-do list. Most of the releases are shovelware anyway, so responses to specific releases have been minimal. I'll still be here lurking and posting when I have something to add to the discussion, but I will call it quits with posting the press releases with this week's additions. If someone else wants to take over, that's great. If not, then I'm sure the thread will pop back up whenever something worthy of discussion gets released.

(Didn't plan on this being my 3,000th post, but the timing seems to have worked out that way)

Dogbert is Out! Peace!
    Aw man your updates where very helpful as I checked your posts on my phone's web browser, thank you so much for your awesome updates.
    If life is not fair all you have to do is MAKE IT fair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmex View Post
    Aw man your updates where very helpful as I checked your posts on my phone's web browser, thank you so much for your awesome updates.
    Glad they were helpful. If no one else posts the press releases regularly, you can always try checking NOA's Media Site. They usually have the press releases posted on the front (publicly accessible) page around 9am Eastern Time / 6am Pacific Time. Oddly, though, sometimes they disappear later in the day (like today - it was there five minutes ago!).