Quantcast
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
    GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    So with this news about Nintendo offering digital downloads of 1st party titles, doesn't it seem all but certain that the Wii U specs are certain to be very different from what we've heard? Before we had these rumors about no hard drive and a relatively small amount of flash memory, but 8 gigs doesn't cut it for supporting full-fledged Wii U games. That number was skimpy even for DLC support. Surely Nintendo's not going to say oh, well, if you want to take advantage of that you can buy an external hard drive and hook it up. Or am I missing something?

Also according to Iwata they're going for day one physical & digital, which I think is something different for the industry on this front when it comes to home consoles. I see digital versions of PS3 games on Playstation Network, but AFAIK they usually go up there some time after the physical release comes out first. It's interesting; one wonders if third parties will follow suit in the future.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

ShadowGUN is offline YES!YES!YES!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rayman Legends WiiU trailer.Ubisoft says that just concept video and not final product but to me it looks pretty much something you see at E3.

Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku
    So with this news about Nintendo offering digital downloads of 1st party titles, doesn't it seem all but certain that the Wii U specs are certain to be very different from what we've heard? Before we had these rumors about no hard drive and a relatively small amount of flash memory, but 8 gigs doesn't cut it for supporting full-fledged Wii U games. That number was skimpy even for DLC support. Surely Nintendo's not going to say oh, well, if you want to take advantage of that you can buy an external hard drive and hook it up. Or am I missing something?
    But wouldn't adding a hard drive plus the tablet controller just make the console more expensive? I think Nintendo will just sell the hard drive separetly like what Sony did with PS2 hard drive while the console will ship the flash memory inside.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Yeah, it raises costs, but that space is much more valuable than it ever was in the PS2 era. This is an area people are going to compare against the next-gen consoles of today & the future. If they don't do it now, they're going to have to rerelease the system like Sony upgraded the PS3.

Also, same day physical/digital communicates a big priority shift. If a customer can't buy a Wii U and be able to download a launch title to it out of the box without a costly accessory, isn't that a tough sell?

I suppose they could make like Microsoft and sell a beefy version and the equivalent of a X-Box 360 arcade. But they should give customers a choice. With this route, it just seems so counterintuitive to not make storage a priority.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

BigLouMan20 is offline Dancin' away my worries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Have you forgotten that the Wii-U will support external hard drives which is a big plus for storage since I can buy a 1TB drive for $80.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    No, but I'm questioning the very idea of having to buy an accessory to take advantage of this service.

Jin Kazama is offline Hawkguy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    If a customer can't buy a Wii U and be able to download a launch title to it out of the box without a costly accessory, isn't that a tough sell?
    If the games were download-only, it'd be a tough sell. But it's more like "if you want to download the game for the convenience of always having it right on your console, you can get this hard drive. Otherwise, here's the disc."

It's more like buying an accessory to get an added feature of a console as opposed to the primary selling point of the entire console not being accessible without it. And we all know Nintendo loves their accessories.
    Last Read: Spider-Men
    Last Watched: You're Next

Profiling My Quest To Replay Every Game I Own
    Last Game Played: Yoshi (NES)

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    In any case, Nintendo never said anything about the WiiU having a(n internal) hard drive in the first place, only that it would support (presumably third-party) external hard drives (though I'll bet some of them may or may not be officially licensed). Now, while Nintendo never said anything about this either, I'm personally assuming (until if/when they say otherwise) that this is just going to be for data storage. That is, even if you could load the downloadable ones from the external hard drive (similar to loading VC and WiiWare games off of SD cards), the games themselves--downloadable or retail--are still going to need to run on the actual system memory. For this reason, I'm also assuming (again, until Nintendo announces otherwise) that the system will be using flash memory instead just like the current Wii uses, although it will likely have more of it (at least 1, maybe 2 GB, if not more than that). Also, Nintendo never called the WiiU's a controller a "tablet" or anything of the sort; they personally don't see it that way. We also can't really be sure if or how it will make the system more expensive. Besides, Nintendo has always made it a point to make their systems as affordable as possible. Yes, they messed up with the Nintendo 3DS's price, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will happen with the WiiU (benefit of the doubt and all that).

This is Nintendo we're talking about. They aren't going to be following Sony or Microsoft's example in this (no offense to either of them; I'm just saying). While they've made mistakes in the past, they've also had too many (long term) successes and accomplishments to start now. Also, Nintendo never implied itself to be "embracing" online in any way, shape or form. This isn't about online (gaming or otherwise), or direct downloads in or of themselves, they are merely something Nintendo is incorporating into it's overall strategy, something Nintendo has always done with any new technology used for gaming. The bottom line is that Nintendo has no intention of "joining the big boys" as it were, not now and not ever. If they had, the company would have never been the same, and they never would have had any of the aforementioned long term successes they have now. The WiiU isn't going to be any different.

I'm really sorry if all of the above sounded like a rant, but I really needed to get it out this time.
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Wouldn't you say that the Nintendo Network is about following the example of Nintendo's competitors to a significant degree? DLC, user accounts, and now this confirmed. The one area they haven't said much about is online gaming, but surely the capacity is there for that too.

Regarding the cost, the same rumors that put the $300 price point out there suggest that the controller costs about $50 to produce. The sources may or may not be much good though, admittedly.

Jave is offline Beware of the SPLAT
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandouga View Post
    Now, while Nintendo never said anything about this either, I'm personally assuming (until if/when they say otherwise) that this is just going to be for data storage. That is, even if you could load the downloadable ones from the external hard drive (similar to loading VC and WiiWare games off of SD cards), the games themselves--downloadable or retail--are still going to need to run on the actual system memory.
    There is simply no way this is happening. First, they stopped doing that with the 3DS. And second, it would mean that the size of the games available for download would be limited to the memory of the console, and if it is just 2GB as you suggest, it would contradict with Nintendo releasing retail games on download, which can go up to 25GB.
    Jave's Support Gallery - My Tumblr Blog detailing my current run of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

What a Cartoon Review Blog - My own project where the goal is to write a detailed review to the original 48 WAC shorts.

ShadowGUN is offline YES!YES!YES!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Before the forum goes out again here Wii-U related updates.
    The Wii-U tablet seem to have gotten a small redesign since last we saw it. I like the new analogs sticks.They looks more comfrotable than the previous model.

Sega finally confirm the existance of the Wii U version of Aliens Colonial Marines. Oddly while the 360 and PS3 version have been delay to February 2013 the Wii U version has not date. It being expeculated that Wii-U version will be a launch title which might explain the lack of date since Nintendo isn't allowing anyone to mention released dates for their games coming out this year.