Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

So with this news about Nintendo offering digital downloads of 1st party titles, doesn't it seem all but certain that the Wii U specs are certain to be very different from what we've heard? Before we had these rumors about no hard drive and a relatively small amount of flash memory, but 8 gigs doesn't cut it for supporting full-fledged Wii U games. That number was skimpy even for DLC support. Surely Nintendo's not going to say oh, well, if you want to take advantage of that you can buy an external hard drive and hook it up. Or am I missing something?

Also according to Iwata they're going for day one physical & digital, which I think is something different for the industry on this front when it comes to home consoles. I see digital versions of PS3 games on Playstation Network, but AFAIK they usually go up there some time after the physical release comes out first. It's interesting; one wonders if third parties will follow suit in the future.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

ShadowGUN is offline Hey listen!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rayman Legends WiiU trailer.Ubisoft says that just concept video and not final product but to me it looks pretty much something you see at E3.

Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku
    So with this news about Nintendo offering digital downloads of 1st party titles, doesn't it seem all but certain that the Wii U specs are certain to be very different from what we've heard? Before we had these rumors about no hard drive and a relatively small amount of flash memory, but 8 gigs doesn't cut it for supporting full-fledged Wii U games. That number was skimpy even for DLC support. Surely Nintendo's not going to say oh, well, if you want to take advantage of that you can buy an external hard drive and hook it up. Or am I missing something?
    But wouldn't adding a hard drive plus the tablet controller just make the console more expensive? I think Nintendo will just sell the hard drive separetly like what Sony did with PS2 hard drive while the console will ship the flash memory inside.
    "Toonami:Tougher than the Best,Stronger than the Rest."

TOONAMI LIVES (5/26/12)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, it raises costs, but that space is much more valuable than it ever was in the PS2 era. This is an area people are going to compare against the next-gen consoles of today & the future. If they don't do it now, they're going to have to rerelease the system like Sony upgraded the PS3.

Also, same day physical/digital communicates a big priority shift. If a customer can't buy a Wii U and be able to download a launch title to it out of the box without a costly accessory, isn't that a tough sell?

I suppose they could make like Microsoft and sell a beefy version and the equivalent of a X-Box 360 arcade. But they should give customers a choice. With this route, it just seems so counterintuitive to not make storage a priority.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

BigLouMan20 is offline Dancin' away my worries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Have you forgotten that the Wii-U will support external hard drives which is a big plus for storage since I can buy a 1TB drive for $80.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    No, but I'm questioning the very idea of having to buy an accessory to take advantage of this service.

Jin Kazama is offline Hawkguy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    If a customer can't buy a Wii U and be able to download a launch title to it out of the box without a costly accessory, isn't that a tough sell?
    If the games were download-only, it'd be a tough sell. But it's more like "if you want to download the game for the convenience of always having it right on your console, you can get this hard drive. Otherwise, here's the disc."

It's more like buying an accessory to get an added feature of a console as opposed to the primary selling point of the entire console not being accessible without it. And we all know Nintendo loves their accessories.
    Last Read: Spider-Men
    Last Watched: You're Next

Profiling My Quest To Replay Every Game I Own
    Last Game Played: Yoshi (NES)

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In any case, Nintendo never said anything about the WiiU having a(n internal) hard drive in the first place, only that it would support (presumably third-party) external hard drives (though I'll bet some of them may or may not be officially licensed). Now, while Nintendo never said anything about this either, I'm personally assuming (until if/when they say otherwise) that this is just going to be for data storage. That is, even if you could load the downloadable ones from the external hard drive (similar to loading VC and WiiWare games off of SD cards), the games themselves--downloadable or retail--are still going to need to run on the actual system memory. For this reason, I'm also assuming (again, until Nintendo announces otherwise) that the system will be using flash memory instead just like the current Wii uses, although it will likely have more of it (at least 1, maybe 2 GB, if not more than that). Also, Nintendo never called the WiiU's a controller a "tablet" or anything of the sort; they personally don't see it that way. We also can't really be sure if or how it will make the system more expensive. Besides, Nintendo has always made it a point to make their systems as affordable as possible. Yes, they messed up with the Nintendo 3DS's price, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will happen with the WiiU (benefit of the doubt and all that).

This is Nintendo we're talking about. They aren't going to be following Sony or Microsoft's example in this (no offense to either of them; I'm just saying). While they've made mistakes in the past, they've also had too many (long term) successes and accomplishments to start now. Also, Nintendo never implied itself to be "embracing" online in any way, shape or form. This isn't about online (gaming or otherwise), or direct downloads in or of themselves, they are merely something Nintendo is incorporating into it's overall strategy, something Nintendo has always done with any new technology used for gaming. The bottom line is that Nintendo has no intention of "joining the big boys" as it were, not now and not ever. If they had, the company would have never been the same, and they never would have had any of the aforementioned long term successes they have now. The WiiU isn't going to be any different.

I'm really sorry if all of the above sounded like a rant, but I really needed to get it out this time.
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wouldn't you say that the Nintendo Network is about following the example of Nintendo's competitors to a significant degree? DLC, user accounts, and now this confirmed. The one area they haven't said much about is online gaming, but surely the capacity is there for that too.

Regarding the cost, the same rumors that put the $300 price point out there suggest that the controller costs about $50 to produce. The sources may or may not be much good though, admittedly.

Jave is online now So Smashing... In Space! Magma Champion Robots and Aliens: Reactor Twist 3D Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandouga View Post
    Now, while Nintendo never said anything about this either, I'm personally assuming (until if/when they say otherwise) that this is just going to be for data storage. That is, even if you could load the downloadable ones from the external hard drive (similar to loading VC and WiiWare games off of SD cards), the games themselves--downloadable or retail--are still going to need to run on the actual system memory.
    There is simply no way this is happening. First, they stopped doing that with the 3DS. And second, it would mean that the size of the games available for download would be limited to the memory of the console, and if it is just 2GB as you suggest, it would contradict with Nintendo releasing retail games on download, which can go up to 25GB.
    Jave's Support Gallery - My Tumblr Blog detailing my current run of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

What a Cartoon Review Blog - My own project where the goal is to write a detailed review to the original 48 WAC shorts.

ShadowGUN is offline Hey listen!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Before the forum goes out again here Wii-U related updates.
    The Wii-U tablet seem to have gotten a small redesign since last we saw it. I like the new analogs sticks.They looks more comfrotable than the previous model.

Sega finally confirm the existance of the Wii U version of Aliens Colonial Marines. Oddly while the 360 and PS3 version have been delay to February 2013 the Wii U version has not date. It being expeculated that Wii-U version will be a launch title which might explain the lack of date since Nintendo isn't allowing anyone to mention released dates for their games coming out this year.
    "Toonami:Tougher than the Best,Stronger than the Rest."

TOONAMI LIVES (5/26/12)

Jave is online now So Smashing... In Space! Magma Champion Robots and Aliens: Reactor Twist 3D Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    After today's Nintendo Direct, several details have been officially revealed.

- Official controller name: Wii U Gamepad
    - Gamepad works as a universal TV remote.
    - Gamepad redesigned to include clicky analogs instead of Slide Pads and an NFC reader.
    - Account system confirmed.
    - Will allow for multiple accounts on one system.
    - Account system is called "Miiverse". It will let you find and talk to other people.
    - Miiverse has smartphone integration.
    - Miiverse will also be added to the 3DS in the future.
    - You will be able to text with friends during games and see comments on the game, even if the game is not designed for online.
    - You will be able to take game screenshots and send them to friends.
    - The E3 conference on Tuesday will be focused almost entirely on Wii U software.
    Jave's Support Gallery - My Tumblr Blog detailing my current run of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

What a Cartoon Review Blog - My own project where the goal is to write a detailed review to the original 48 WAC shorts.

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had forgotten about this thread, so I'll just repost what I said in the E3 thread:

"Okay, here are some of the things mentioned in the Nintendo Direct broadcast:

"Miiverse". This essentially lets you talk to other players online while you're playing a game. One of the people on the social feed next to it mentioned "integrated chat". Apparently, the WiiU won't have that. In the future (i.e., it won't be available right away), we'll also be able to access it from any internet connected device, including PCs and mobile devices. Now, I'm going to assume that it will be accessed from the web browsers on those devices, which means no iOS app or anything like that.

A comedic video demonstrated this, and other stuff as well, including video chat. Also, much like on the Nintendo 3DS, you can access Miiverse without having to quit the game. The controller is officially being called the "WiiU Gamepad". What kind of surprised me is that it will have a built in (I'm guessing) universal remote app, which means you can use it to control the TV. It also has an NFC sensor (forget the exact name) that you can use for action figures, cards or other stuff that's made for the game. It also talked about previously revealed features such as the ability to transfer the game from the TV to the gamepad, which will also be a touchscreen. Another clip demonstrated handwritten messages using a stylus (I'm guessing it's the same one you would use for the Nintendo DSi). They also showed a web browser, but it was only shown on the gamepad. I'm personally assuming that the browser will work on the TV as well.

I know it was just a few minutes ago, but that's all I remember. When the conference begins on Tuesday, they'll be talking about games. In any case, I liked what I saw so far."

Incidentally, Iwata never said anything about smartphone integration (not that I could tell, anyway), just that Miiverse would be able to be accessed from any internet connected device (which I suppose could include smartphones) in the future. As I said before though, I'm personally assuming that it will be accessed from the mobile devices' web browsers, which means we should not expect an app for iOS or Android, or anything like that.
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

TnAdct1 is offline !!!!!!!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    From the E3 2012 Thread (as I didn't notice Jave's post about keeping discussions about the Wii U to this thread until I posted the following message):

After watching the Nintendo Direct feed, I really hope that the Wii U games that Nintendo has planned to announce on Tuesday are must-haves, because I'm really not that confident with the company and Wii U ATM.

For starters, I have some major concern about Nintendo's E3 Press Conference being almost entirely devoted to Wii U software (i.e. there's not going to be a single 3DS game mentioned at the press conference), because that makes me feel as if Nintendo had not its lesson from last year's E3, in which they spent too much time devoted to the Wii U and not enough time hyping what they had in store for games during the second half of 2011. This is especially true if the Wii U ends up not coming out until 2013.

Second, the Nintendo Direct video didn't really impress me into either wanting to pick up a system on Day 1 or putting it on my Xmas list. Sure, there's some interesting methods that the Game Pad can be used. However, with the Pro Controller being pretty much a ripoff of the Xbox 360 controller and that very chessy video showing off online interaction with other Wii U users, this isn't the type of system that will make me want to purchase it unless there's going to be some high quality games coming soon for it.
    Joe Klemm
    Toon Addict for Life and "gated community" member since August, 2002.

"ph34r t3h cute ones" -Megatokyo

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandouga View Post

Incidentally, Iwata never said anything about smartphone integration (not that I could tell, anyway), just that Miiverse would be able to be accessed from any internet connected device (which I suppose could include smartphones) in the future. As I said before though, I'm personally assuming that it will be accessed from the mobile devices' web browsers, which means we should not expect an app for iOS or Android, or anything like that.
    Oh, no, there's too much variation in smartphone web browsers and too much potential for hacking. No, there'll probably be an app for that.

Edit: Wait, this is not just your personal assumption. They specifically said that it would work with web browser. Still a bad idea though.

This stuff sounds pretty dull so far, honestly. Hope they're saving something cool for E3.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    We already knew what the deal with the controller was so putting that aside, what the Nintendo Direct presentation covered was small time stuff. Nobody owns a Playstation 3 for Playstation Home, nobody's buying a WiiU for what they showed off. All these little features weren't going to get anyone excited at the big show and every minute spent publicizing it at the conference is a minute wasted, quite frankly. So, they smartly used this to get that material out of the way.

I have nothing against the controller, though I don't quite see what's so great about it yet either. The gimmicks aren't in any way equivalent to the novelty of the Wii back when it was introduced. In any case the last E3 introduced that and the concept of the system, so they're smart to save the main event for the part that actually matters most. It's about the games, & it'd sure help if at least one title made interesting use of the controller.

spartanx54 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In my opinion, I thought the stuff they revealed today was pretty cool. I think the Miiverse idea is a step in the right direction for Nintendo. I like how they're embracing social connection a lot. But dear god I hate the name "Miiverse".

I do fear that the Wii U game pad may feel uncomfortable with both analog sticks at the top. I used to the Xbox controller with one analog stick at the top and one at the bottom.
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So there was Wii U info today at E3. It was interesting ... the battery will last for 3-5 hours in the controller before needing a recharge (full power at 2.5 hours), and if there are 2 controllers the game's frame rate will be split in half.
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Takao View Post
    So there was Wii U info today at E3. It was interesting ... the battery will last for 3-5 hours in the controller before needing a recharge (full power at 2.5 hours), and if there are 2 controllers the game's frame rate will be split in half.
    ......good lord. Here's a link (correction: the referenced tweet is from Nintendo of America):

http://www.videogamer.com/news/confi..._gamepads.html

Nintendo has confirmed that Wii U will include support for up to two GamePads.

This means that two Wii U GamePads can be connected to the console simultaneously.

According to a tweet by NintendoUK, however, the frame rate on each pad's screen will be cut in half if two Game Pads are connected.

"#IwataSays #WiiU will support two separate GamePads! If we connect 2 GamePads, the frame rate is half at 30 frames/second."

It was previously assumed that only one GamePad could be connected to the Wii U.

"Dual Game Pad experiences" will be available in the future, said Nintendo America COO Reggie Fils-Aime during Nintendo's E3 press conference, suggesting that dual GamePad games will not be available at the console's launch later this year.

The revamped Wii U GamePad also includes rumble support and features stereo speakers.

More details to follow.
    That's a rather significant flaw, no?

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Man, a three to five hour battery life for the gamepads is a really big problem for me. Sometimes three hours of gaming is just getting me started. I guess I'll just have to play with it plugged in. Get me a loooong USB cord.

Also, I saw the demo video for ZombiU. Am I the only one that thinks having actions that include flinging and shaking the hell out of this expensive controller is a remarkably bad idea? It's not such a big deal with a wiimote, because those are cheap and come with a rubber condom and a strap, but with something with a breakable screen it's a bit scary. I have downloaded iPad games that want me to do this with my $500 device with a large glass plane on the front, too. I usually just delete them, because hell no.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I suppose it's breakable in the same way that there was a risk of flinging a wiimote at your TV screen. I mean, I could be overrating things here, but I would think that the controller and mobile devices are well built enough that mere shaking is not going to damage them. And surely they would test this!

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast