Quantcast
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    TheTerror is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gamestop versus FuncoLand

Like This Thread!
    So if you are old enough to remember funcoland and have visited Gamestop then you should vote, if you have never been into a funcoland then you have no basis to vote.

So which store did you prefer? Ever since GS bought Funcoland it seems to me that buying video games is just not fun anymore. I remember when FuncoLand was around, I would go into the store and they would have systems set up behind these glass cases all ready to play and they had tons of classic games for sale and they treated the old just like the new and it made for a fun experience. They also had what I used to call "FuncoSheets" which was the newspaper like flyer with the names and prices of the games printed on it below the official company logo's, oh man those where the days.

Any memories with these two or any comments on your vote??

Dr. Daedalus is offline Souter made us do it!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I think rose tinted glasses makes everything look better when you were a kid, so I can't safely say that Funcoland was more "fun" than Gamestop currently is.

But ever since Gamestop stopped selling anything older than a PS2 or Xbox game, it hasn't been the same. I've had to seek out other stores to fill that void.

email2003 is offline *Classically Trained*
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd say FuncoLand. I missed going in there and seeing all the retro games all over the wall of that store.

TheTerror is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Boris View Post
    I think rose tinted glasses makes everything look better when you were a kid, so I can't safely say that Funcoland was more "fun" than Gamestop currently is.

But ever since Gamestop stopped selling anything older than a PS2 or Xbox game, it hasn't been the same. I've had to seek out other stores to fill that void.

Seriously, I miss the good old Funco days, when they killed off selling classic gaming that is when my love for games began to dwindle. I found some nice independant classic game retailers, but they come and go all the time because it's not a steady business, but e-bay is a good place for the classics.

Quote Originally Posted by email2003 View Post
    I'd say FuncoLand. I missed going in there and seeing all the retro games all over the wall of that store.

The ones around me would have these few gondola displays in the middle of the sales floor with ll their NES/SNES/Genesis and sega cd games, then on the walls they had PSX, Saturn and N64 games, this was toward the end of Funco, but back in the day they had tons and tons of classic games and it was just a joy to behold. They even carried the 3DO for a while, but I have never seen a 2600 or a Jaguar in a Funco/Gamestop. Jaguar was carried in Walmart and TRU for a short time and also at Babages and Electronic Boutiqe, but never funco/gamestop.

kenjisalk is offline Aging Warhorse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My main problem with Funcoland's back in the day, were that many of the ones in the area were poorly run, and frequently would have large amounts of boxart for titles that were either sold or missing.

I remember being excited about getting Master Blaster on Genesis, brought the box up, and it wasn't there. Tried again with Rocket Knight Adventures, same thing. Brought up Sonic 3, same thing again.

Tried again with Super Star Wars, Final Fantasy VI (III at the time) and Chrono Trigger, and then gave up.

SirLemming is offline a playa in a world of NPCs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My memories of FuncoLand consist of about one or two visits that filled me with childlike wonder, and then about 100 more visits where all the consoles had no controllers in them, or the controllers inaccessible behind a glass case, or they were not turned on at all, or they were frozen at an error screen or something. Gamestop seems to be run a bit better on the whole.
    THE CASTLE OF SIR LEMMING
    THIS MONTH'S UPDATE: Christmas Countdown! 25 Christmas songs of interest.

Eddy is offline there's a chicken on my head
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The answer is Play-n-Trade.

Dr. Daedalus is offline Souter made us do it!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    The answer is Play-n-Trade.
    I love that store for their large selection and great prices; only one complaint: Too many games don't contain the manual and box/jewel case art. I've begrudgingly bought many a PS1 game from there sans cover art and manual, simply because it was a hard game to find.

That's not to say Gamestop is any less guilty of such a thing, though (I absolutely hate that badly-drawn, generic cover art that they use for games with no case art). Actually, they're worse because at least with really old games, it's understandable that cover art and manuals go missing over time. But with, say, an Xbox game from 2006, there's no excuse. Frankly, they shouldn't even accept such a thing if someone tries to trade it in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Gonna throw my 2-cents in here:

I hated gamestop, and still do.

There service is horrible.

Charlie is offline Der pushka.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have a reservation ticket for Team Fortress 2 from Funcoland, dated 1999. I believe that may have been the only time I walked into that franchise.
    The Weekly Geek!
    The mostly weekly podcast about geek stuff.

SteamID & Gamertag. Do you want to play a game?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast