peacebyanymeans is offline HORRIBLE FOR EVERYONE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wii Graphics Myths Debunked

Like This Thread!
    By this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by AC-Revolution @ GameTrailers Forum
    Wii GRAPHICS MYTHS DEBUNKED!
    So, as we know there has been a lot of talk about Wii's graphics, the competition, the previous generation e.t.c and there have been a lot of myths too, I got a little fed up so I decided to debunk them.

1. "Wii can't do Normal Mapping."

- Oh yes it can! Really, Who actually said it couldn't? That's something I've always wondered. The Xbox did normal-mapping to great effect in games like Doom 3 & Splinter Cell: CT, and the Wii's programmable TEV (Texture Environment Engine) can do any effect XGPU could so why shouldn't it be able to? More proof?

Digital-Legends proved that even the N-Gage! which didn't even have a 3d accelerator chip let alone shaders or h/w bump mapping did normal-mapping too.

and so can the Nokia N93's *Dreamcast* based PowerVR MBX graphics chip.

Furthermore, Konami will use Normal-mapping technology in Dewy's adventure for Wii and Factor 5 have already expressed their displeasure of developers not using normal-maps on the system.

2. "Even though the Wii's ATI Hollywood GPU has a higher clock speed than the Xbox's XGPU, it still isn't capable of as many pixel fillrate calculations. Wii isn't capable of pixel shading. Nor is it capable of graphical effects such as stencil shadows, self-shadowing and light scattering".

This is wrong. The 'shaderama' that was Rogue Squadron II did these effects on Gamecube back in 2001, light scattering was an excellent addition in Rebel Strike in 2003.

The ATI Hollywood can actually produce "insane fillrates" to use Factor 5's words. The XGPU had a pixel fill-rate of 932 m/pixels. Hollywood is capable of a pixel fill-rate of almost 2 G/pixels. Having such a high fill-rate capability means that the Wii can perform advanced shaders, advanced texture filtering and advanced multi-layer texture effects without much hassle, especially as it only has to produce graphics @ 480p.

3. "Wii is hardly anymore powerful than the Gamecube. In fact its not much more capable than the PS2."

Don't make assumptions by what early Wii games display.

Wii has both more graphical power and processing power than the previous generation of consoles. In terms of processing calculations, did you know? IBM Broadway >> GC Gekko + XB Celeron put together!?
    .................................................. .................................................. ..
    4. "The Wii cant produce anything near photo-realistic visuals."

Who said photo-realism meant that graphics have to look EXACTLY like real-life? Besides Gran Turismo 4 on PS2 (a much much lesser system) did a fine job of re-creating near-photo-realistic cars.

5. "The Wii is incapable of good physics."

Really? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSWlZ...elated&search=
    Wait til they switch the Vacuum Laser on, physics allover the place.

All those interactions at once? Wii was having a picnic, hardly touched Hollywood for graphics functions too. Broadway used a fraction of the CPU to compute those physics. The system is capable of even more. Btw, AGEIA Physics are already in use for current & future Wii titles.

6. "The controller interactions require huge amounts of processing power, that's holding back Wii graphics."

Incorrect. It doesn't have a performance hit. If it did this (below) wouldn't run in 60 frames per second with so many advanced effects.

I think that will do for now
    Just found this on the ol' Tubes and thought I'd share it.
    (AND THAT INCLUDES YOU)

HG Revolution is offline Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I knew the Wii was capable of good graphics. What annoys me is that developers don't seem to know. The prettiest launch title was Zelda, and that's a Gamecube game! Man, those screenshots from Super Mario Galaxy look as if they came from an entirely different system than, say, Far Cry Vengance.
    Please donate to help with my senior project for school: my senior project! https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...ical/x/1210328
    My blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/

Mynd Hed is offline Holy blue on a popo!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HG Revolution View Post
    I knew the Wii was capable of good graphics. What annoys me is that developers don't seem to know. The prettiest launch title was Zelda, and that's a Gamecube game! Man, those screenshots from Super Mario Galaxy look as if they came from an entirely different system than, say, Far Cry Vengance.
    It's always that way with a new system, especially a Nintendo one for some reason; the first party games look stellar, and a few exceptionally talented third-party developers might make one or two that compete, and everything else is meh.

Bird Boy is offline WF Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not all that surprised. Bigger graphics = higher development costs. The Wii's low on development costs already so maybe some developers will put more into some games.

Just made myself laugh by typing that.

Seriously though--look at RE4. If Wii is twice as powerful, theres no reason it couldn't easily output some gorgeous games. It'll just take the right developers to do it.

-BB
    The World's Finest - Spawn - WF DVD Report - ZachDemeter.com
    Updates (WF): Check the news!

Yash is offline dr. yashouzeke "loser" asakura
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The reason why the Wii has mediocre graphics is the same reason why the 360 had mediocre graphics at launch. Lazy developers.

Of course not every game is going to look their best at launch. EGM, who's known for almost-hating Sonic games, said Sonic and the Secret Rings has graphics that rival that of Resident Evil 4, so if a third-party game has already matched the best of GameCube, four months in, it can only get better.

Dr. Anime is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Right now the Wii doesn't really impress in the graphics department. However compare games like Metriod Prime, Soul Caliber, and Resident Evil 4 all of those games were beautiful on the Cube and none of them came out durring the launch.

I just think it's lazy developers or developers that forwhatever reason decided to rush out games for the Wii's launch.

Either way I think that by the end of this year the Wii will begin to impress more of us in the graphics department.

darklink Guest
    i have a wii and the graphex are so good.

peacebyanymeans is offline HORRIBLE FOR EVERYONE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darklink View Post
    i have a wii and the graphex are so good.
    I have a Wii...

and no, they are not "so good."

Don't kid yourself, the majority of Wii launch games look like the shiz (and in the bad way).
    (AND THAT INCLUDES YOU)

Kurokawa41 is offline The Indecisive Font Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wii definitely isn't as good as the other systems in terms of graphical capability, but it's certainly "good" at least in that department. The others are right, the developers are being lazy as they often do at launch. Just wait for it...
    Kurokawa on Eitrigg (PVE), Exodar (PVE), Blood Furnace (PVP).
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan-san
    This world is going to hell in a car with the Lience plate reading LAWLZ.

Shawn Hopkins is online now TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You know, I'll believe it when I see it on the screen. But I think defending the Wii on graphics really isn't the best focus or use of energy. Even if it reaches its full potential there's still no way it can compete with the other two consoles. And Nintendo isn't trying to, so there's no need for Nintendo fans to get defensive on this front.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast