Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ninja Turtles II: The Battle Nexus [TALKBACK]

Like This Thread!
    I just picked it up. Here are my thoughts after the initial levels.

The graphics are much nicer than the first game (something the reviewers didnt' seem to notice) and there are even some nice lighting effects. It alreadly feels like a fuller game but it looks to be just about as stagering as the first. Not because of a lot of enemies though. Far from it... There's a bunch of little puzzles and platform elements that feel incredibly out of place.

The turtles have a changed a bit. It takes considerable more effort to pull off combos in this game unless you are Mikey and it's dang near impossible to do with Donatello. The hard strike is pretty useless unfortunately and thats the casef or all the turtles. The jumping timing is dreadful and the added platform elements make these very troublesome. There is wall jumping but the physics aren't very good and the delayed reaction could be the death of you.

The camera is possibly a little better but still down right awful.

This game will probably be frustraiting with four people given you share a life bar as well as lives. Weaker players will without a doubt be the death of the whole team... and the camera angles don't help in that right much either.

I hear once you unlock some better combos you can manuver better and I hope that's the case because this game plays really clunky at the moment. Not enough to make it a bad game but certainly enough to make it less desirable to play for long periods of time.

I know how to get the arcade game so that's my first goal and it'll take me a little while but probably less time than it took to beat the first GCN game. The two draw backs to the arcade game is the music and sound bytes are replaced (as mentioned before) and unless you can change the controls they have B and Y and Jump and A as attack. Dang it... why do all these companies have to screw up the control scheme on the GCN. A is always jump (or I make it that way if I can - and I had to for the regular story mode in Battle Nexus as well as the original GCN game).

I'm guessing once you get into the game more the controls loosen up (or you'll at least get used to them) and things will get more interesting. I got the players guide because I had a discount for buying the game and it looks like there's not only plenty to unlock in this game but plenty of levels to play as well.

It's rated "T" for some reason... but its still as innocent as any other TMNT game.

But here's something I really didn't expect...

It's 2 discs long.

Looks like I'm in for a long ride...

My ratings is pending for now. I'll wait until things get more interesting (or don't change) before I label this one. At least there isn't an endless slew of redudant bad guys though... I hated that in the first game.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

maximumzero is offline A Custom What Now?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Holy cow, 2 discs?

That's absolutely nuts for such a...what's the word here...such a kinda underrated title.

Must have alot of cinematics, no?

Tobias is offline Who you gonna call?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The graphics are good, but it's hard as hell to hit anything, escpecially those dinosaur things in the first cavern.

And it looks like the first lab level is going to be mega difficult considering there are guys shooting from up high on all sides while a small army attacks on the ground.

Once I unlock the arcade game, and come on, let's face, that's the REAL reason anyone's buying it to begin with, I'm forgetting about the main game.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm gonna play through it as much as possible.

It is hard as shell to hit anything in this game. Donatello is freak'n useless. Raphael is very difficult to use, and Mikey and Leo are average. The camera angles are part of the problem for sure but the jerking controls and the new combo system (that isn't easy to pull off well) are killing the beat 'em up style of this game.

It's neat to switch turtles in single player but you have to be touching the ground and not moving to do so and that can cost you a lot.

I'm guessing the one perk to everyone having the same life bar is that any health items you pick up is shared by everyone so now you don't have to debate on who gets the next health item like in most TMNT games.

But hey because I'm so super nice I'll tell you exactly how to get the arcade game!

You have to make it to level 9-1 (have fun doing that). It takes place in New York (City at War I believe). The level is shaped like a cross. You start basically in the middle. There should be one side with an extra area closed off. You should see some crates and a bus. Jump on those to get to the top of the closed off area and you'll find in crates a pizza and an antique. Beat the level and then go have it examined April's shop. The arcade game will no be under the option menu on the main screen.

There a perks to buying the stradegy guide to games every now and then.

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Frank Castle is offline Sic vis pacem, para bellum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How is the game overall so far? I didn't like the first one due to limited move sets and repetitive enemies. If it's a good improvement I'll buy it.
    "If the thought of it seems crazy, you were never crazy enough to begin with." -The Punisher

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There have been some good improvements.

4 player alone makes this better than the first game despite the fact that it'd probably be harder to play through the game with four people. If nothing else it's a good party game and if you can get the arcade game ASAP... so much the better.

The environments are less repeditve thus far and there isn't such an endless slew of bad guys every where you go. The levels actually don't take long to beat when there's not puzzles that require some serious turtle jumping action.

The sound bytes a a LOT more tollerable. I thankfully haven't heard "eat feet!" yet. The turtles are the most chatty when they are being switched out, doing their specific abilities (cutting throw something, turning a switch, moving an object, and hovering to a another platform), and picking up items. Mikey as usual is the one with the worst one liners... I wish he wasn't so canned in this series he was PERFECT in the first movie and they haven't gotten it right since.

The music is more interesting as well. So decent tunes I'd say but nothing to write home about.

If you are a big turtle fan and follow the new show it's probably a good buy (if for no other reason than the arcade game and to have a decent 4 player experience for parties and such) otherwise you might be best off renting it. Seriously I bought this game for 3 reasons... It seemed better than the last one, it has the arcade game and I wanted to continue holding the title of "owner of every TMNT console game". But I hope it turns out to be worth the money otherwise. At least it was 10 bucks cheaper than a lot of first runs. 39.99 ain't so bad and the game looks to have a fair amount of replay value if you enjoy the game itself.

Frank Castle is offline Sic vis pacem, para bellum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll probably pick it up within the next month then.
    "If the thought of it seems crazy, you were never crazy enough to begin with." -The Punisher

Solitude1 is offline Crispy noodle in duck sauce?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just rented this game and man am I disappointed. It was either this or Yu Yu Hakusho..and I feel like I should be smacked by Toguro.

Anyway, your right about the controls HS. I couldn't believe how hard it is to actually hit something with the combos you have. Donatello sucks now and that makes me angry. He's my fav turtle and I loved using him in the first game.

The cut scenes are once again new yet spliced animation from the tv show. Kinda sloppy and the lines given by the actors are something to groan about indeed.

Like everyone else in this thread, I only got it for the original arcade port. Go, go determination for nostalgia. You would think Konami would take a hint from the original but nope. A sucky sequel thats even more frustrating from the last. Man, I'm glad I didn't buy this game...
    LJ
    Myspace
    DVDS

Currently Reading:Batman: The Long Halloween
    Currently Playing: Crackdown, Bleach: The Blade of Fate
    Currently Watching DVD: Nadesico: The Complete Series
    Currently Watching TV: The Shield: The Final Season, True Blood, TMNT: Back To The Sewers, Prison Break, Moral Oral
    Currently Listening To: Prodigy-The Fat of the Land, T.I.-Paper Trail, 3 Doors Down, Ultimate Santana

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I know Donatello OWNED in the last game. Now he's useless... This will make picking characters between friends very difficult. Now you can't just pick your favorite character... you have to decide who gets the harder to use ones and the sucky ones.

But overall the game is pretty good thus far.

Conekiller is offline On the Cruise!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Any opinions on the new voices/Music for the Arcade?

Remembering Ben Feld,
    AKA Shogunthethird.
    A great friend, taken before his time.
    Memorial Thread

http://conekiller.deviantart.com/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast