Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    HomeMoviesFan is offline I have a nemesis!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Simpsons "Treehouse of Horror XIV" Talkback

Like This Thread!

Eh, I see no talkback, it's seven and half hours (here) until the premiere, what the heck. Discuss the new Simpsons Halloween special (FOX at 8) here!...

shoujoaifan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The commercial says it at 8:00, 7:00 central (I'm in the 8' range), and its about 8:10 and King of the Hill is on. What's going on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They delayed KotH for some stupid football game. It started around 7:50.

DianaGohan is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oooh, it's starting now! And that was a good opening! Review later.

wrenchien is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i'm watching duck dodgers instead. sorry...

The Landstander is offline Thanks ants. Thants.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ghjk

After the plot of the first segment, no one is allowed to call Family Guy a Simpsons ripoff ever again.

Ever.
    ~_~

Duke is offline Truer Words Were Never Spoken
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did Lisa eat a Butterfinger bar?

Did they cut the opening? N/M, clever title screen.

Hehe, nice commentary on Halloween and Christmas at the beginning by the aliens. That was hilarious!

Love the chase sequence, especially Maggie with the scythe.

How do you kill Death?

I'm with Homer, According to Jim sucks.

Love how they got Homer to be the Grim Reaper.

I wish I went to Springfield Elementary.

Just like Homer to abuse his powers, too.

Love how Homer tricked God, that was awesome. What movie were they parodying?

Yay! A Frink segment!

ACME Dynamite! Awesome!

I like Lisa's summarization of the 21st Century.

Yea, who cares about Flanders anyway?

I wanna go to Sweeden! :anime:

Yay for continuity between the segments!

Sears is evil, I knew it!

Segment #2 wasn't as good as Segment #1

I like the cracks at 70's comics and Hanna-Barbara.

Love Bart playing with Homer & Nelson.

CBG has a lightsaber! Awesome!

I love all the Red-Button changes, especially the Bobbleheads, the Fantastic Four, and the TV Guide.
    Spubman: Defender of the Way of the Spub's Thingy of the Time Being:
    Anime: Miso Soup for the Soul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Landstander
    After the plot of the first segment, no one is allowed to call Family Guy a Simpsons ripoff ever again.

Ever.
    Its a fricking Halloween episode, its not supposed to be realistic.

This episode was hilarious.

SirLemming is offline a playa in a world of NPCs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why are they so obsessed with the Benny Hill chase scene parodies lately?

Clearly, the highlight of tonight's episode was the scene where Bart & Milhouse made the donuts disappear, and then made Homer's clothes disappear, and made Nelson appear, and made Nelson's clothes disappear. It was good ol' stupid hilarity, executed with perfect timing. It's rare these days that a Simpsons gag has good comedic timing.

Other than that, it was an okay episode.

Did anyone else think some of the dialogue in the intro scene sounded Homestar Runner-ish? I guess it's hard to remember, but Grampa's dialogue reminded me of the King of Town, and something Marge said reminded me of Strong Bad.
    THE CASTLE OF SIR LEMMING
    THIS MONTH'S UPDATE: Christmas Countdown! 25 Christmas songs of interest.

Killtacular is offline the race wars had begun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The baton of incontinuitous stories has long since been passed to Futurama. Treehouse of Horror, the one episode where Simpsons SHOULD be goofy, is slow and trodding, much like Dexter's Laboratory and The Powerpuff Girls.

Ripping off of Family Guy ("Death is a *****") and Futurama ("Time Keeps Slipping Away"), although they tried some new jokes, but none of them were that funny.

What I'd like to know is why they're throwing in random, unintelligent pop-culture references. That's not what makes Futurama funny. And Family Guy never threw out a celebrity name for no reason. There was always a twist, a spin on the issue with Family Guy. Not so here.

The only interesting part of the special was the opening segment.

And one funny line:

"I'm going to play naked basketball!" "No, you're not."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What is with you people and complaining? Good god, listen the Simpsons has been on with 15 years! Of course its not going to be as funny. *Sighs in disgust at all of you*

Duke is offline Truer Words Were Never Spoken
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Uh, where's the poll for this episode?
    Spubman: Defender of the Way of the Spub's Thingy of the Time Being:
    Anime: Miso Soup for the Soul

shoujoaifan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From now on, instead of the saying "The Simpsons Did It First", we can "Family Guy Did It First"! Ah, it was still good for a laugh though.

The Landstander is offline Thanks ants. Thants.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well

Quote Originally Posted by Batman's Biggest Fan
    Its a fricking Halloween episode, its not supposed to be realistic.
    You missed my point.

The plot was essentially directly stolen from "Death Is A Beeotch". (lousy censor)

That's what I meant.

Also saw some Zim ripoff in the second segment. =\
    ~_~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Landstander
    You missed my point.

The plot was essentially directly stolen from "Death Is A Beeotch". (lousy censor)

That's what I meant.
    Oh, never watch Family Guy, but I can't see how the show was hilarious if it did stuff like that in real episodes, not Halloween ones. (Oh, boy here come the criticisms.

Killtacular is offline the race wars had begun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What is with you people and complaining? Good god, listen the Simpsons has been on with 15 years! Of course its not going to be as funny. *Sighs in disgust at all of you*
    Woops, I better instantly forgive people getting rich off of not even trying, or else Batman's biggest fan will be disgusted in me for having realistic expectations.

Oh, never watch Family Guy, but I can't see how the show was hilarious if it did stuff like that in real episodes, not Halloween ones. (Oh, boy here come the criticisms.
    Oh, heh, never mind. I guess losing his respect isn't that big a deal after all.

At least he admits he doesn't watch Family Guy. He gets bonus points.

DianaGohan is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Halloween Celebrated in November? It's Only Possible In The Simpsons Episode Review of "Treehouse of Horror XIV".

"Reaper Madness"- In this Family Guy episode, Death makes an apperance and tries to take a Griffin's life, but certain circumstances lead to Peter taking over as the Grim Reaper temporaily when the laws of death are lost. Oh wait sorry, that should be: "In this Treehouse of Horror Segment episode, Death makes an apperance and tries to take a Simpson'slife, but certain circumstances lead to Homer taking over as the Grim Reaper temporaily when the laws of death are lost. Yeah, that's so diffrent. Anyway, this was a pretty fun segment. Highlights include the chase with death (although it's kind of a recycled joke from "A Star Is Reborn Again"), Fat Tony and his goons shooting Frankie The Squealer over and over, Homer putting on Death's robe and becoming him, using his power to cut in front in a baseball game, getting out of killing Marge by killing Patty and God not chasing him anymore because "I'm too old and rich for this" and Homer not killing Marge every week to get an extra porkchop. Despite the idea stealing, it gets an A-.

"Frinkinstein"- Woho Glaven! How can this be, with the character development in the Halloween show by fraknar! This wasn't as good a short, but with the Jerry Lewis and the Jennifer Garner voiceovers and the making fun of the Nobel prizes and the story of how Frink's dad died and the comment by the Homer about being death and the soul box and the "NICE LISA I'M REANIMATING MY DAD AND HE'S TAKEN PEOPLE'S BODY PARTS AND BRAINS LIKE THE EPISODE OF INVADER ZIM WHERE THEY DID THE SIMILAR THING BY GLAVEN!!!!!" I give this a B.

"Stop The World, I Want To Goof Off"- I was looking forward to this short the most, but it wasn't as good as "Reaper Madness" but better then "Frinkinstien". Highlights include Bart and Milhouse getting the watch, using it to take town Skinner's pants and Homer's Donuts, getting stuck in time and aging 15 years, framing Martin and Lisa messing with Time. I give this a B+

Overall: B++ (The Opener gets it an extra +).

jrh31584 is offline Also an excellent speller.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't see how this was a ripoff of "Death is a (female dog)."
    Why we could even terraform Mars, and do it right this time!
    -Dr. Quentin Q. Quinn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^Sorry, I'm just a little sick of you people doing nothing but complaining because the show is not as good. Its been on for 15 years, I found this episode good, so just stop please and try to keep in mind, that although its not as good as it used to, is still able to make you laugh.

Failure is offline Entertainment Mod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought this had its moments. The opening section was interesting, I wasn't sure where they were going with it at first, with Bart choking Lisa, but by the time it ended I liked.

The first act was pretty funny, even if it wasnt too unoriginal.

2nd act was alright. I liked the Frink flashback, but they've already done a Frankenstein send-up in a Halloween episode (Burns taking Homer's brain and putting it in a robot.)

I really loved the 3rd act. I was cracking up pretty much throughout. The scene with Homer's disappearing donuts then ending up naked with Nelson was gold.

All in all, not bad.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast