Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    DianaGohan is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Simpsons "Old Yeller Belly" Episode Review (Spoliers)

Like This Thread!
    There's a new Simpsons episode on tonight on FOX on 8:00 p.m/7:00 p.m eastern/standard time. For the first time since Season 8, it's a Santa's Little Helper Episode, about said dog becoming Duff's new Spokesdog, and then being hunt down by his original owner (The owner of the dog race track from "Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire") due to his new fame. It should at least be a more back to basics episode then last week's dud "Dude, Where's My Ranch".

Killtacular is offline the race wars had begun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Definitely back to basics. The first act started off "we're SOOOO WACKY!!" which annoyed the hell out of me, but the second and third acts were surprisingly great. The emotions are pretty much superficial at this point, but at least the pace was contained and the silliness restrained. It reminded me of seasons 6-8 where there would be a serious story with wacky jokes FROM TIME TO TIME. In this case, the wacky jokes were funny (the homeless person thinking he was Jesus, and Homer trying to scare Lisa (until the third time he did it)).

And a normal ending? Crazy.

I think it would have been better if:

- Santa's Little Helper were replaced by a certain slug from Futurama at the end.

- The Duff spokesperson were voiced by the VA who plays Duke Phillips (trust me, it wasn't him in this episode. I would know).

Master Moron is offline Forum Elder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ugh...

I finally thought we'd get a Snowball II episode and we get another Santa's Little Helper episode. I know we haven't gotten a Santa's Little Helper episode in a while but have we EVER gotten a Snowball II episode?

And since when is Snowball II a guy? Talk about inconsistensies...

NeueZielZeon is offline Self-proclaimed arch-enemy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not perfect, but definetally better than last weeks. The episode started out wacky fast with the whole treehouse bit, but as Matt said, some of it was funny (such as the one Amish guy fighting the devil with a pitchfork, Snowball's rise to fame). And it was good to see Snowball II to get some screen time in an episode.
    Grade: 7/10.
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel." ~ Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The bit where at the ending was hilarious.

Failure is offline Entertainment Mod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What a rebound. I thought this was a great ep. The best I've seen in a very long time. Except for the treehouse part, it felt like a classic ep to me. It was focused on the characters. The characters didn't act all weird. They didn't say stupid things. There was even random/normal humor like when Homer came out to pick Maggie from the trash can or when Snowball II sat in Moe's dinner. I'll agree with Matt, in that the emotions are kinda superficial now, like I didn't really buy into Bart's crying, but it's good that the ep was at least addressing them. I think the best part about this ep is that I want to watch it again. It's been a while since I've felt this way.

The Landstander is offline Thanks ants. Thants.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe its because I haven't been keeping up with the new episodes and my expectations are too high, but I didn't like this one. The first act was just way too wacky and random, as mentioned. The only good part was the Amish part, which was probably the funniest part of the episode. Act II got slightly better, with a few good jokes here and there, but still nothing great I can remember. Act III was alright, mostly because of Duffman and an actually funny ending.

Despite some good parts, I still didn't like it (I have a feeling other episodes this season, such as the one last week {which I didn't see, but read the talkback thread}, were a lot worse).
    ~_~

livingfruitvirus is offline No! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    favorite screenshots
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Simpsons "Old Yeller Belly"  Episode Review (Spoliers)-s1.jpg   The Simpsons "Old Yeller Belly"  Episode Review (Spoliers)-s2.jpg   The Simpsons "Old Yeller Belly"  Episode Review (Spoliers)-s3.jpg  

JTurner954 is offline Paradigm City, USA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This felt like a classic episode. So many characters had screen time and it didn't have that "starts out good and goes downhill" vibe that I got from episodes like last weeks. I definitely didn't expect to see so much Duff Man in one episode, but it was a cool surprise. Very good episode with Santa's Little Hipper, "Frank Lloyd Bright",and the rest of the cast. And the best part: TWO Batman jokes (and not in the same scene).

Overall grade: A- What a great show.

DianaGohan is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like this Dog has learned some new tricks, and I'm not talking about the writers. Or am I? The Simpsons "Old Yeller Belly" Episode Review.

If they was any episode this season that described the Simpsons going back to their roots, it was this one. Not only was this a Santa's Little Helper Episode, there were other parts that felt like the older eps. I don't know why, but the Bart's group spying on Lisa's felt more like something from earlier years, and yeah sure the tug of war was a bit wacky, but not totally unbelievable. I also liked the part where Milhouse got scabs on his hands and said "Yes Pity!" and cried to his mom. The rest of the act had some good laughs (The train flipping around in the air, Homer and Bart's tool fight, how the treehouse got lit on fire, and Homer falling without a net). Yeah there were some stupid jokes (The amish, Marge identifying the family by hair shape) but they weren't too much. The second act had probably the most Snowball II on this show...ever!! And to see the cat actually get some respct (sleeping on dinners, being cated around by Homer, and having a park named after it) was a refreshing change of pace. Also nice to see Santa Little Helper feeling unwanted and hated, which actually shows a bit of emotion (yeah, some of it feels fake, but there seems to be a bit of real on the top). The Beer tie-in was handled fairly well (I liked the photographer having a one and a million shot with SLH balancing the beer on hindlegs and then the can falling over and him putting back on saying a million and one shot again) and the commerical was also funny ("How come he has human girlfriends?"). Then comes the real kicker: The dog being reclaimed by his owner, someone we haven't really seen since "Two Dozen and One Greyhounds" establishing a plot point not seen in over 300 episodes and 10 years. Too bad that jerk owner got the rights to the dog. The third act had some good parts (Drunk shark, Duffman sober ((This is his third name. First he was Larry in "Pygmoeilan" and then Howard in "Hungray Hungray Homer" and now Barry. Well since Duffman never dies (((only the actors who play him ((((as refrenced to in "Jaws Wired Shut". Boy, this is a lot of parantesis isn't it?)))) and Duffman one couldn't breath due to a sticker on his mouth and Duffman 2 was probably fired for throwing the manager out, this is the new one) and the ending with everyone against Homer) which makes me give this episode an A-.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast