Trombone77 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is the Fun Gone on Children's Channels?

Like This Thread!
    Hey, this is my first thread so forgive me if I seem inexperienced. I can't speak for all 90s and early 2000s kids when I say that we had a good childhood when it came to television. It was fun, interactive, and tried to cater to what we want. However, reflecting on my childhood and looking at children's television now, it seems as though children's networks don't have as much fun as they do now. Maybe it is because I'm older and there are immature things that lack amusement, but networks like Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, and Nickelodeon seem to have lost their spirit of fun.

I have seem this in several ways, but two seem to stick out: the lack of blocks and the lack of engaging bumpers. To the blocks aspect, when I was a kid, the networks had several blocks. Not groups of programs with a tagline to them like today's "blocks", but actual blocks. Blocks that had bumpers. Blocks that had hosts. Blocks that went out of their way to present special programming, such as Toonami's Month of Miyasaki (if I spelled it wrong, please forgive me) and TeenNick's concert series and special guests. Nowadays, "blocks" seem to be nothing more than a group of programs that share a bumper together.

Then, there are the bumpers. We used to have bumpers that were pretty engaging as well, from Cartoon Network's City Era bumpers with the characters interacting to even Nick Jr.'s Face bumpers. Now, bumpers seem to focus more on transition rather than entertaining the audience they are serving.

Honestly, I know I can come off as preachy, and I know that things have to evolve. I accept that. However, is it just me or does it seem like children's television doesn't have as much fun today as they did before? Also, does anyone think that the networks should try to bring some fun back? For example, maybe Nick or Cartoon Network have an afternoon block.

CoolEric158 is online now Remember who you are...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    While a lot of people care about bumpers and blocks and other stuff on television, I never understood why it was so important. I didn't care whatsoever about CN having the Check it Era and replacing the City or Powerhouse bumpers. What made me watch a channel was the programming it has. With that, there's a lot of kids shows out there that have a sense of "fun", and it doesn't rely on having Cartoon Cartoon Fridays or Snick to make it so.
    I'm that guy who looked at you funny yesterday! In case you were curious.
    My Twitter
    My Tumblr
    My Youtube Channel

Dr.Pepper is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think a lot of it has too do with growing up and tastes changing. Stuff that kids like are a lot of times not amusing for adults. Also I think every generation kind of has its own thing.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors

Goldstar Neo is offline I like the streaks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It's hard for adults to judge the merit(s) of kids' shows and channels, because often what kids see as classic entertainment will drive any and all adults from the room within minutes. It's possible that this alleged decline in quality that many 90s-00s adults complain about could simply be the fact that they've gotten older and are no longer part of the age demographic for said channels.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.

Silverstar is offline Delightfully Dotty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolEric158 View Post
    While a lot of people care about bumpers and blocks and other stuff on television, I never understood why it was so important. I didn't care whatsoever about CN having the Check it Era and replacing the City or Powerhouse bumpers. What made me watch a channel was the programming it has. With that, there's a lot of kids shows out there that have a sense of "fun", and it doesn't rely on having Cartoon Cartoon Fridays or Snick to make it so.
    This.

I admit that I did get a kick out of cool blocks, bumpers and wraparounds from that period, but I can also accept that they were simply a product of my era and at the end of the day, they're just window dressing. What makes a good kids' channel is the quality of its' shows; the shows aren't instantly made better by the presence of perky people dressed up like the Wiggles and dancing in front of a studio audience or a robot with a cool sounding voice talking about the shows. I just chalk it up to "times change and tastes change" and try not to dwell upon it too much.
    Last edited by Silverstar; 06-08-2014 at 10:27 AM.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.