Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2D Animation opinion

Like This Thread!

With a lot of movies now a days changing from 2D hand drawn animation to CGI and 3-D effects what's you opinion on 2-D animation and do you think it will be obsolete in the future with movie and animation productions?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    THIS topic again...if you're looking for 2D animation from Disney or the other BIG US animation studios, 2D is pretty much dead in theaters. Every twelve seconds I hear another guy talking about Paperman and how Disney will bring back 2D animation to the big screen. I seriously doubt we'll be seeing that style anytime soon. Also, to me, Paperman and Get a Horse seem to be more insulting to 2D than anything. 2D animation shouldn't be a nostalgic treat, it should be another form of animation that is frequently used. I think Warner Bros might be the only BIG animation studio still doing 2D feature films with the DCAU and Scooby-Doo, but those are all DTVs. Of course, 2D is still dominant in television. And I believe 2D animation is still popular across the pond. Really, 2D is by no means dead. It's just not seen as profitable in American cinema. Companies like to follow the money, so I think a 2D film made in America NEEDS to be a huge box office success and prove that it still 'has it'. WBA honestly doesn't want to leave their Scooby- DC Comic Nest anytime soon. Disney will only give us 2D in small, nostalgic doses, as if it's an old Skool thing, when it's NOT. Right now, my money is riding on Dreamworks 'Me and my Shadow' which is supposed to be a blend of 2D and CGI. Really though, 2D animation should NOT be a treat. It should be a part of our everyday diets.
    I'm a Writer, first. THEN I'm an artist.

defunctzombie is offline Stalemate Resolution Associate
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Cafe's not the place for this topic. Moving to General Animation.

Edit: I didn't see that you already made the same topic here. Don't start the same thread on multiple boards, it's against the rules.
    LATEST ARTICLE: Samurai Jack: Beyond Nostalgia
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    "Fooooooooooolish samurai!"
    My experiences in Japan as told by comics: my tumblr <3

ILDC is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darissa Townes View Post
    THIS topic again...if you're looking for 2D animation from Disney or the other BIG US animation studios, 2D is pretty much dead in theaters. Every twelve seconds I hear another guy talking about Paperman and how Disney will bring back 2D animation to the big screen. I seriously doubt we'll be seeing that style anytime soon. Also, to me, Paperman and Get a Horse seem to be more insulting to 2D than anything. 2D animation shouldn't be a nostalgic treat, it should be another form of animation that is frequently used. I think Warner Bros might be the only BIG animation studio still doing 2D feature films with the DCAU and Scooby-Doo, but those are all DTVs. Of course, 2D is still dominant in television. And I believe 2D animation is still popular across the pond. Really, 2D is by no means dead. It's just not seen as profitable in American cinema. Companies like to follow the money, so I think a 2D film made in America NEEDS to be a huge box office success and prove that it still 'has it'. WBA honestly doesn't want to leave their Scooby- DC Comic Nest anytime soon. Disney will only give us 2D in small, nostalgic doses, as if it's an old Skool thing, when it's NOT. Right now, my money is riding on Dreamworks 'Me and my Shadow' which is supposed to be a blend of 2D and CGI. Really though, 2D animation should NOT be a treat. It should be a part of our everyday diets.
    Me and My Shadow has been put on hold.

Dudley is offline <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andywarhol12 View Post
    With a lot of movies now a days changing from 2D hand drawn animation to CGI and 3-D effects what's you opinion on 2-D animation and do you think it will be obsolete in the future with movie and animation productions?
    I agree with almost everything Darrisa said. 2D animated movies for theaters are dead in the States and I doubt will ever come back anytime soon. No studio in Hollywood will want to back one. If they ever do, they'll have to make something so visually enticing, it'll remind people why great 2D animation is so fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ILDC View Post
    I heard it's canceled entirely.

Conroy reviews Family Guy
    (Last episode)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting opinion with a few facts to back it up. I never really thought about that before. I agree with you and personally i prefer 2D animation in film and on television

Quote Originally Posted by Darissa Townes View Post
    Thank you defunctzombie. I'm new to the forum/blog so I'm still learning.

I just read the Samurai Jack article linked on your page. I miss the show and I wish it ended on a good note :/ Maybe in the future someone can create a spin off of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by defunctzombie View Post
    The Cafe's not the place for this topic. Moving to General Animation.

Edit: I didn't see that you already made the same topic here. Don't start the same thread on multiple boards, it's against the rules.
    I don't think it's cancelled all I've heard about the film is that it was switched with the release date of Mr. Peabody and Sherman.

Have hope

Thank you for your opinion Dudley. I don't think no studio will want to back up a 2D animated film but you're right if there going to do so there will have to be visually enticing with a great plot and character development. It's just sad to see an art form disappear on film. Personally, it makes me appreciate 2D animation so much more from the work, time and detail that went into hand drawn films and television shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    I agree with almost everything Darrisa said. 2D animated movies for theaters are dead in the States and I doubt will ever come back anytime soon. No studio in Hollywood will want to back one. If they ever do, they'll have to make something so visually enticing, it'll remind people why great 2D animation is so fantastic.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andywarhol12 View Post
    Thank you defunctzombie. I'm new to the forum/blog so I'm still learning.

I just read the Samurai Jack article linked on your page. I miss the show and I wish it ended on a good note :/ Maybe in the future someone can create a spin off of it.
    That's fine. As a general heads up, it's best if you try to keep double/triple posting to a minimum. PM a moderator if you're having trouble quoting more than one person in a post, they can merge them like I just did.

Samurai Jack is one of those shows that really needs a revival, but I would hesitate if they decided to do it in 3d animation. Things made in 2D need to stay in 2D (like Looney Toons.....)

CoolEric158 is offline Sibling Rivalry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    This article actually states that MaMS returned to development after Peabody and Sherman's release date change to Shadow's former one.

Anyway, this song and dance routine has been said before and I say the same thing...does it really matter? To be honest, CGI can be just as impressive as 2D animation whether it has strong details (Pixar), beautiful bright colors (Blue Sky), lovely backgrounds (Disney), creative designs (Dreamworks), among others.

And even if it's away from the theaters, it's still alive and well elsewhere. Just look at the shows on Cartoon Network, Hub, and Nickelodeon. Or the independent and foreign market with Chico and Rita, Waltz with Bashir, and The Illusionist. Or online with Animation Domination High-Def, Harry Partridge, or Egoraptor. So while 2D in films will be gone for a while, it won't die forever.

I believe Doug Walker said it best about parody, and what he said should be applied to 2D animation: "While [2D animation] is down and out in theaters, I don't think it will ever truly die; it just takes on different shapes and sizes."
    Thinking of something to write down.

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I truly never understood all of the Chicken Little-style panic over the supposed "death of 2D animation", because it simply isn't true and really isn't that a big of an issue. CGI is the more prevalent animation style in American animated features right now, and will stay that way until there's a paradigm shift in the opposite direction (i.e., when a traditionally hand drawn features makes beaux coup bucks at the box office), but 2D animation is very much alive and well on TV, on the web and in overseas animated features.

And even if CGI is pretty much all we get in US theaters right now, so what? Does is really matter as long as the film is good? Quality is what's important, not what style the animation is in.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

ILDC is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's fine. As a general heads up, it's best if you try to keep double/triple posting to a minimum. PM a moderator if you're having trouble quoting more than one person in a post, they can merge them like I just did.

Samurai Jack is one of those shows that really needs a revival, but I would hesitate if they decided to do it in 3d animation. Things made in 2D need to stay in 2D (like Looney Toons.....)
    Even if Genndy's Popeye movie makes a billion dollars at the box office, I really doubt any kind of Samurai Jack movie would get a wide theatrical release.

PapaGreg is offline Getting off from violence
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Honestly just read the comics if you want to see more of it
    Getting off from violence circa 1997

SaneMan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I my self prefer 2D over 3D any day
    As far as I'm concerned, 2D simply has allot more personality to it, with 3D it just kinda feels fake to me (alto great writing can compensate for it)

That said, sadly, I think 2D is dead and gone
    Every single factor seems to be playing against it

Aquadementia is offline Mutant Snow Goons!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I think there is still a love for 2D animation among animators. That's why you get those bonus cartoons in the end credits and shorts like "Goodnight Mr. Foot."

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Gatordragon is offline El Zombino - level 1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have no preference between 2D and 3D. I've seen enough good animation and bad animation from both types to not favor either. As long as the animation and story are good, I'm a happy camper.

El Zombino of the Huracan clan from Urban Rivals

For little brother, Jorgito, life is above all a tale of opportunities. So what better time to put this to the test than during the Festival of the Dead in Los Santos? Jorgito and his sister have concluded that, OK, you may not be able to negotiate with death, but you can make some damn good money out of it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you! Also, really like the Labyrinth avatar.. I really like that movie with Jennifer Conolly and David Bowie. When first watching hte film i had no idea George Lucas helped out with hte film with Jim Henson.

Oh my... if they were to do Samurai Jack in 3d I would be a little hesitant... Some animations who started out as 2D just need to be kept at 2D.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Even if Genndy's Popeye movie makes a billion dollars at the box office, I really doubt any kind of Samurai Jack movie would get a wide theatrical release.
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaGreg View Post
    Honestly just read the comics if you want to see more of it
    TBH I'm not looking for a theatrical revival. A DTV or even a special on Cartoon Network would be fine.