0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    CyclonatorZ is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Man, I knew I was going to enjoy this movie, but I certainly didn't expect to be close to tears by the end. I almost never cry at movies - not even Toy Story 3 affected me quite like this. And even more incredibly, it was Will Ferrell who was making my eyes water. Hm, maybe if he did stuff like this more often I would actually be a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Liu View Post
    I'm also wondering how Warner Bros. is going to figure out how to screw up this golden goose by trying to push a sequel to it. I have no idea where you'd go with one, unless you try one on another Lego franchise that's pretty much unrelated.
    As a die-hard Lego fan since the age of 5, I have two words for you: Dark Ages. Almost every AFOL (adult fan of Lego) has had a period where their favorite toy went into the attic, usually during their teenage and/or college years. A movie set well over a decade in the future, focusing on Emmet's attempts to rekindle the imagination in the now grown kid from the first movie, could have real potential, and would explore different thematic ground than, say, Toy Story 3. And, if the same people are in charge, I wouldn't count out a sequel being just as good.

BTW Ed, is there any reason why hasn't Toonzone officially reviewed this movie yet? I'd really like to see a more detailed analysis from you or one of the other staff members.

"We are both men out of time" - Dr. Arnim Zola, to Captain America.

Ed Liu is offline Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclonatorZ View Post
    BTW Ed, is there any reason why hasn't Toonzone officially reviewed this movie yet? I'd really like to see a more detailed analysis from you or one of the other staff members.
    Funny you should ask... .

We just didn't get to an advance screening, so Grant got into the UK sneak preview and wrote pretty much all of what I'd say about it.

I'm sure there will be many more things I'll say about the movie later, but for now, I'll throw out the thought that someone on staff was a frustrated classics major: "Cloud Cuckoo Land" is actually a reference to Aristophanes' The Birds, and Vitrivius was a real guy (for whom Leonardo Da Vinci's famous "Vitruvian Man" was named, since the whole thing was based on something Vitruvius wrote).

Also, the Lego Movie Facebook page just wished Charlie Day (the voice actor for Benny, the 1980-something space guy) a happy birthday, and almost every comment for the post says, "SPACESHIP!" But I really hope they re-issue Benny, cracked-helmet-and-all, in the next wave of LEGO Movie merchandise. Speaking of which, I think it's amusing that Benny in the movie has a more visible mold line down the center of his hair than the real merchandise does.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

RegularCapital is online now Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Here's the Lego Movie commercial break that aired on ITV last night.
    Luckily Warner Bros. has uploaded it.

Check out the Cartoon Network International News Thread: Future Schedules, News, Ratings, Promos and Bumpers from all over the world:
    http://www.toonzone.net/forums/carto...ws-thread.html
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/RegularTweetsUK

CyclonatorZ is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Liu View Post
    Funny you should ask... .

We just didn't get to an advance screening, so Grant got into the UK sneak preview and wrote pretty much all of what I'd say about it.
    Great. That review was awesome.

" But I really hope they re-issue Benny, cracked-helmet-and-all, in the next wave of LEGO Movie merchandise.
    Ohoho, has your wish been granted, Ed:

Coming this summer, and including a Benny with a helmet that simulates the crack the classic mold was prone to having.

"We are both men out of time" - Dr. Arnim Zola, to Captain America.

Ryusuke is offline SomethingWithTheR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This movie was everything I've wanted and more.
    "Don't take life too seriously; you'll never make it out alive!"
    - Bugs Bunny, "Rabbit Feat" (1960)

Ed Liu is offline Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclonatorZ View Post
    Coming this summer, and including a Benny with a helmet that simulates the crack the classic mold was prone to having.
    SPACESHIP!!!!!!!

(Come on, you knew that was coming.)

And it even comes with Space Unikitty. Give me NOW!!
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I wish this movie had been released earlier so it could catch the Oscar Nom...this film blows Frozen out of the water, proving that you can make a film emotional without killing the characters...(well...in Bad Cop's case, those people were temporarily killed...in a way..). This is where I think Warner Bros. stands out in terms of animated material; it can make things emotional while ALSO balancing comedy (Teen Titans comes to mind). I've never had so many occasions where I came close to crying, only to start laughing my butt off the next minute. I was a little afraid when the live action people came into the scene, but then everything about "The Man Upstairs" started to make such brilliant sense that I started howling in the theatre (I was the only one in the theatre, which definitely contributed to my enjoyment). What also really made this movie so great was that it wasn't a 2-hour commercial like I had feared it would be. Whereas Frozen gave us a story, it also gave us yet another princess to slap into toy aisles and on to pink backpacks. With this movie, it never really felt like a simple ploy to sell toys (on top of the fact that so MANY sets were featured in the film), but instead encouraged people to play with the toys in unique ways. What could kids do with a Princess Anna doll?? Do her hair?? Make her clothes sparkly with warm water?? This movie felt like the epitome of what Legos are REALLY for, and that's tossing the manual aside and building whatever you want. I've never even PLAYED with Legos as a kid that much and I wanted to buy a box of the bricks and just make stuff. Do kids wanna buy Frozen-merchandise after watching the movie? They certainly would, but they certainly won't be able to do much with it once Anna's clothes have been changed and you've heard the Elsa doll sing "Let it Go" for the billionth time. My only problem with the film, honestly, would be the rumors of a sequel film. With the way this film was, it doesn't really need a second film. It ended on a hilariously good note that I honestly wouldn't mind the audience figuring out for themselves. What else could they honestly deal with, K'Nex?
    I'm a Writer, first. THEN I'm an artist.

HG Revolution is offline Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darissa Townes
    I wish this movie had been released earlier so it could catch the Oscar Nom...this film blows Frozen out of the water, proving that you can make a film emotional without killing the characters...(well...in Bad Cop's case, those people were temporarily killed...in a way..). This is where I think Warner Bros. stands out in terms of animated material; it can make things emotional while ALSO balancing comedy (Teen Titans comes to mind). I've never had so many occasions where I came close to crying, only to start laughing my butt off the next minute. I was a little afraid when the live action people came into the scene, but then everything about "The Man Upstairs" started to make such brilliant sense that I started howling in the theatre (I was the only one in the theatre, which definitely contributed to my enjoyment). What also really made this movie so great was that it wasn't a 2-hour commercial like I had feared it would be. Whereas Frozen gave us a story, it also gave us yet another princess to slap into toy aisles and on to pink backpacks. With this movie, it never really felt like a simple ploy to sell toys (on top of the fact that so MANY sets were featured in the film), but instead encouraged people to play with the toys in unique ways. What could kids do with a Princess Anna doll?? Do her hair?? Make her clothes sparkly with warm water?? This movie felt like the epitome of what Legos are REALLY for, and that's tossing the manual aside and building whatever you want. I've never even PLAYED with Legos as a kid that much and I wanted to buy a box of the bricks and just make stuff. Do kids wanna buy Frozen-merchandise after watching the movie? They certainly would, but they certainly won't be able to do much with it once Anna's clothes have been changed and you've heard the Elsa doll sing "Let it Go" for the billionth time. My only problem with the film, honestly, would be the rumors of a sequel film. With the way this film was, it doesn't really need a second film. It ended on a hilariously good note that I honestly wouldn't mind the audience figuring out for themselves. What else could they honestly deal with, K'Nex?
    I loved this movie, much more than Frozen, but this is an odd critique. Surely kids can play imaginatively with Frozen toys, just as they do with any doll/action figure.
    I'm a writer at a new Boston blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/
    I also directed this short film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu2ruy_z9io

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HG Revolution View Post
    I loved this movie, much more than Frozen, but this is an odd critique. Surely kids can play imaginatively with Frozen toys, just as they do with any doll/action figure.
    I'm sure they can, I just feel that Disney will ONLY give kids Anna/Elsa dolls, Olaf/Sven plushies and the Infinity figures. These things may be fun and imaginative for children, but just like with Toy Story, when those kids get older, those toys won't be as fun. Legos seem to grow up with children. You can build whatever you want, take it apart, then build something new. As you get older you experiment with more extravagant structures. This movie even SHOWS that adults use Legos (even IF it was originally portrayed negatively). Look at the advertising, most of Disney's toy ads are for little kids, whereas Lego has a variety of age groups to appeal to, such as Duplo for small kids, and the sophisticated Star Wars sets for older ones. Going back to the film, the themes of creative play in the Lego Movie will most likely age well.
    I'm a Writer, first. THEN I'm an artist.

Kevin is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Speaking as someone who used to play with Legos all the time as a kid, this has to be one of the best animated films I've seen in a long time. I admit, I was skeptical after seeing the trailer, but I'm glad I was proven wrong and that the glowing reviews about this movie turned out to be right. It wasn't cynical, it wasn't dumbed down, and I loved the characters' various personalities. It's really hard to talk about this movie without giving so much away, but trust me when I recommend that this is a movie that should be seen.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast