Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Doguineta is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Yeah, we all knew it was temporary, but I thought that we'd go more than TWO episodes before bringing him back. Not that I expected anything better, but I am disappointed.
    Nothing to see here, just keep on with what you were doing...

CartoonFridays is offline Promoted to detective.
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doguineta View Post
    Yeah, we all knew it was temporary, but I thought that we'd go more than TWO episodes before bringing him back. Not that I expected anything better, but I am disappointed.
    Well, the payoff better be worth it.
    Young lady, I'm an expert on humans!

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    So, were you sad about Brian and the way he went out? Did you believe all that stuff about how they did it because they thought it would be a "fun way to shake things up" and change the "family dynamics" in Family Guy? Did you find that Stewie / Vinnie talk bittersweet yet heartwarming? Well, forget all of that since it's now pretty much 100% confirmed they're bringing Brian back shortly.

In other words, they did it for short term emotional manipulation and that's it. This show is all just one big joke now.

This might be the most hackish thing they've ever done. Screw them.
    I really hope the people with the Change.org garbage really don't believe it was internet petitions that got them to change their minds. Considering these episodes already got written and recorded probably like 2 years ago.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Daffyfan2003 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, that's good to know. I was thinking this would just be a temporary thing. I still look forward to seeing what exactly will happen.
    Kenny
    Ma Arbuckle: You weren't thinking of putting chili powder in my sausage gravy now, were you, grandma?
    Grandma: No. Heavens to betsy, child. Why would you think such a thing? Just because my chili gravy won a blue ribbon at the county fair and yours didn't even place. Who am I to tell you how to make sausage gravy? The Green County gravy champion, that's who.

trance2009 is offline Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think going a full remainder of the season would've been better, ending the finale on a shocking note with him back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah. I know what you mean. Like I said in the other thread, it is a little unusual that they'd do one full episode with Vinny in Brian's place and then bring him back the next week. While we all want Brian to return, I feel like they could have done so much more with this.
    Kenny
    Ma Arbuckle: You weren't thinking of putting chili powder in my sausage gravy now, were you, grandma?
    Grandma: No. Heavens to betsy, child. Why would you think such a thing? Just because my chili gravy won a blue ribbon at the county fair and yours didn't even place. Who am I to tell you how to make sausage gravy? The Green County gravy champion, that's who.

dth1971 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyfan2003 View Post
    Yeah. I know what you mean. Like I said in the other thread, it is a little unusual that they'd do one full episode with Vinny in Brian's place and then bring him back the next week. While we all want Brian to return, I feel like they could have done so much more with this.
    Bu I bet Brian will be a ghost spirit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah. I noticed you or someone mentioned that on the other thread as well. That might work. Then we'd get a few more episodes with Vinny in Brian's place, then it might take some time before Brian returns for good. I look forward to seeing what happens in next week's episode.
    Kenny

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think he should come back, but, like, all screwed up and Pet Semetary. He kills all the Griffins and everyone else on their street. Boom, end of show.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

WickedChild is offline Kissing the shadows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    So, were you sad about Brian and the way he went out? Did you believe all that stuff about how they did it because they thought it would be a "fun way to shake things up" and change the "family dynamics" in Family Guy? Did you find that Stewie / Vinnie talk bittersweet yet heartwarming? Well, forget all of that since it's now pretty much 100% confirmed they're bringing Brian back shortly.

In other words, they did it for short term emotional manipulation and that's it. This show is all just one big joke now.

This might be the most hackish thing they've ever done. Screw them.
    Or maybe this is all part of a bigger, long-form joke about how people take the deaths of fictional characters too seriously. I'm not gonna be all judgmental about them being manipulative at this point, any more than I'm going to give them credit for having the guts to actually go through with killing a major character. Remember when Kenny died "for real" on South Park at the end of season 5? And it was all emotional and played seriously? That led us into the next season with many hilarious moments where they try to resurrect Kenny, build the ladder to heaven, his soul gets trapped in Cartman's body and they have to exorcise it, and they start auditioning for new friends, etc. And in the end he just shows up again and they act like nothing happened. That's basically how I see this. Not that they'll necessarily act like nothing happened, but in the end it's just more fodder for story and jokes. We'll just have to wait and see if it's worth it or not. I have more faith in South Park (at least back then) to be clever about doing something like this, but I'll give Family Guy the benefit of the doubt for now. In the end, if you're honestly offended either way (that they'd kill him, or that they'd bring him back), you really, really shouldn't be watching Family Guy (or most modern adult cartoons).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay. I may sort of have to side with GWO on this one, because when I hear about killing Kenny, I strongly consider changing my name.
    Kenny

Peter Paltridge is online now Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedChild View Post
    Or maybe this is all part of a bigger, long-form joke about how people take the deaths of fictional characters too seriously.
    I wouldn't give them that much credit.

Matt and Trey planned to have Kenny dead for good, but the decision was made to bring him back because they just missed him too much. Whereas killing Brian and only leaving him dead for one episode.....I don't know if I can call it anything but a ploy for attention. I thought they were above such things (or at least smart enough to keep the ruse going longer than a week).
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedChild View Post
    In the end, if you're honestly offended either way (that they'd kill him, or that they'd bring him back), you really, really shouldn't be watching Family Guy (or most modern adult cartoons).
    At this point, I pretty much don't. Nothing about this surprised me at all, except how the press & public were basically fed a pack of outright lies about what this meant for the show. All I know is that there was a time when The Simpsons did this and it actually did stick and have impact, and that we've gone from Brian and Stewie to this point where we actually agree it's manipulative and the good interpretation of the situation is basically "well, what did you expect, and maybe it won't be that bad". But you know, if the message is "LOL, never take anything we do seriously", they have zero business doing anything like The Story of Brenda Q ever. Beyond the brand of humor it's been peddling for a long time now, this has also become a completely incoherent program. They just do whatever they want with minimal thought given to anything.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

WickedChild is offline Kissing the shadows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All I'm saying is let's see where they go with it before handing down judgement. And honestly I don't think any of the supposed "serious" moments in the show's history were really meant to be taken very seriously. They're always done with at least something of a wink, even if it isn't obvious on the surface. Sort of like the "Kenny Dies" episode of South Park. It seems serious up front but the whole thing is meant to be funny BECAUSE of how serious it seems. The famous "Brenda Q" episode for instance, the whole thing was done with the undercurrent of parody for Lifetime movies. Also, when you say "the press & public were basically fed a pack of outright lies", I don't think it's really fair to judge the show itself based on press releases about it. All it would mean is you probably shouldn't take their press releases seriously.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6