Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Spring TX
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Looing outside animation for a moment I'm reminded of Boson Legal, the powers that be have gone on record as saying they listened to the fans, found out which characters were getting the most buzz and focused on them, they routinely brought in new characters, see who clicked and brought them on and let those that didn't just fade away. Even if the writers really liked certain characters if the fans didn't they cut them loose. The show managed 5 seasons that way.

    I'm not saying this will always work, and live action and animation are different beasts, but there is a precedent for shows listening to fan and it paying off. Of course there's a difference between listening to a fans and obeying them, lets be honest every fandom has it vocal faction and crazy faction and it seems like there's a lot of overlap between the two

  2. #12
    Dr. Daedalus's Avatar
    Dr. Daedalus is online now I'm WikiBear!
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    19,652
    Blog Entries
    14
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Fans don't always know what they want. An infamous example is Ren and Stimpy, when some fans requested an episode of nothing but gross-out humor. The result of caving to this request? The heinous "Onward and Upward".

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Town less Inhabited
    Posts
    887
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Speedy View Post
    Fans don't always know what they want. An infamous example is Ren and Stimpy, when some fans requested an episode of nothing but gross-out humor. The result of caving to this request? The heinous "Onward and Upward".
    I don't follow.

  4. #14
    Dantheman's Avatar
    Dantheman is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Michigan USA
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw this piece of advice in an Youtube video about a guy ranting about Star Trek fans who didn't like J.J. Abrams' revamp of said franchise, and I think it says it all: respect the characters, ignore the fans.

  5. #15
    Lemanic's Avatar
    Lemanic is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    341
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I saw this piece of advice in an Youtube video about a guy ranting about Star Trek fans who didn't like J.J. Abrams' revamp of said franchise, and I think it says it all: respect the characters, ignore the fans.
    But is that a right thing to do?

    There's a term that's very describing here;

    Status Quo

    The fans with new ideas are always going to push it and break it in every direction possible, and that's not a bad thing. It teaches us development, change and logic reasoning. If a fanfic goes totally fanon, we get it and move on, but the subconscious are always trying to tie those loose threads together and eventually you've got a new set of logic reasoning that prepares you for new challenges.

    Somehow not paying attention to the fans can leave your franchise stuck in the status quo and eventually die out.

    And for something completely different; Marketing and merch.
    Fans should be able to market the product by their own terms. And fans should be able to produce merch with just a good eye from the studios. It's marketing too.

    The studios aren't just nurturing their current creators pre-production. They're nurturing future creators post-production in form of fans who also wants to be in the pre-production process some day. What makes it hard these days are the studios simple act of maintaining the status quo with their franchises. And in these days of deviantArt/Kickstarter fusions, more and more franchises are getting "attacked" by fans who want nothing more than a little development and care for said franchises.

    Is that a bad thing?

  6. #16
    Dudley's Avatar
    Dudley is online now <- Watch the cartoon!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Coast of USA
    Posts
    11,700
    Blog Entries
    29
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't mean to flip flop on the issue, as I'm aware of the good and the bad that can come from all of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CinaMel View Post
    But is that a right thing to do?
    Yes, it is.

    Because fans don't all agree on the direction they want to go with the series. To appeal to a certain loud group of fans is to ignore the larger non vocal group. Animation studios always try to create content that can appeal to as many people as possible (staying within their intended demographic, of course), and as big as the fanbase is, they don't equate to the size of the regular viewers.


    Team Teen

    Cartoon heroes unite!


  7. #17
    Goldstar Neo's Avatar
    Goldstar Neo is offline I like the streaks
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cartoonsville
    Posts
    9,395
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CinaMel View Post
    But is that a right thing to do?

    There's a term that's very describing here;

    Status Quo

    The fans with new ideas are always going to push it and break it in every direction possible, and that's not a bad thing. It teaches us development, change and logic reasoning. If a fanfic goes totally fanon, we get it and move on, but the subconscious are always trying to tie those loose threads together and eventually you've got a new set of logic reasoning that prepares you for new challenges.

    Somehow not paying attention to the fans can leave your franchise stuck in the status quo and eventually die out.

    And for something completely different; Marketing and merch.
    Fans should be able to market the product by their own terms. And fans should be able to produce merch with just a good eye from the studios. It's marketing too.

    The studios aren't just nurturing their current creators pre-production. They're nurturing future creators post-production in form of fans who also wants to be in the pre-production process some day. What makes it hard these days are the studios simple act of maintaining the status quo with their franchises. And in these days of deviantArt/Kickstarter fusions, more and more franchises are getting "attacked" by fans who want nothing more than a little development and care for said franchises.

    Is that a bad thing?
    Yes, it is.

    By constantly giving in to fans' wants and desires at what point does it stop being the creator's project and said project becomes a thing that's solely generated by fan wanking? And what happens if 2 different fans want completely opposite things for the show? It's impossible to please everyone, and creators shouldn't attempt to do so. First and foremost, they have to satisfy themselves in order to achieve artistic fulfillment. It's not the responsibility of the creators nor the studios to make sure that their fans' ideas get heard. If fans wish to get into the business, they should try to do so with their own ideas and projects. No one or nothing is preventing them from doing so.

    It's all right for a creator to listen to fans' suggestions, but when it comes down to it, it's the creator's vision, not anyone else's, that must be respected. I tend to follow the philosophy of JG Quintel, the creator of Regular Show:

    Make the things that you want to see, not what you think other people want to see. It's way too much work to be making something that you're not even into
    Last edited by Goldstar Neo; 11-20-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.

  8. #18
    Hordesman's Avatar
    Hordesman is offline slashor
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bobobo World
    Posts
    3,579
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Some months back, variety had an article on why online fandom was unreliable. They represented a smaller portion of the audience and there was concern people discussing a reality show during working hours was representative of what advertisers wanted.

  9. #19
    Dudley's Avatar
    Dudley is online now <- Watch the cartoon!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Coast of USA
    Posts
    11,700
    Blog Entries
    29
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'll always remember how some guy at a Brony convention asked if Princess Celestia, the kind and caring ruler of Equestria, was a molester. This man, in his 30's, was asking voice actors this at a panel, and children were present in the audience.
    These kind of people are amongst the most obnoxious and therefore loudest members of a fandom. I rather the fans not be listened to at all, if it means keeping people like that away from tampering with a cartoon.


    Team Teen

    Cartoon heroes unite!


  10. #20
    trance2009's Avatar
    trance2009 is offline Fun to play with not to eat
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hammond, Indiana
    Posts
    3,529
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It can be creepy being an adult cartoon fan at times, others give us a bad name.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO