Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Looing outside animation for a moment I'm reminded of Boson Legal, the powers that be have gone on record as saying they listened to the fans, found out which characters were getting the most buzz and focused on them, they routinely brought in new characters, see who clicked and brought them on and let those that didn't just fade away. Even if the writers really liked certain characters if the fans didn't they cut them loose. The show managed 5 seasons that way.

I'm not saying this will always work, and live action and animation are different beasts, but there is a precedent for shows listening to fan and it paying off. Of course there's a difference between listening to a fans and obeying them, lets be honest every fandom has it vocal faction and crazy faction and it seems like there's a lot of overlap between the two

Dr. Daedalus is online now I'm WikiBear!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Fans don't always know what they want. An infamous example is Ren and Stimpy, when some fans requested an episode of nothing but gross-out humor. The result of caving to this request? The heinous "Onward and Upward".

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Speedy View Post
    Fans don't always know what they want. An infamous example is Ren and Stimpy, when some fans requested an episode of nothing but gross-out humor. The result of caving to this request? The heinous "Onward and Upward".
    I don't follow.

Dantheman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw this piece of advice in an Youtube video about a guy ranting about Star Trek fans who didn't like J.J. Abrams' revamp of said franchise, and I think it says it all: respect the characters, ignore the fans.

Lemanic is offline Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I saw this piece of advice in an Youtube video about a guy ranting about Star Trek fans who didn't like J.J. Abrams' revamp of said franchise, and I think it says it all: respect the characters, ignore the fans.
    But is that a right thing to do?

There's a term that's very describing here;

Status Quo

The fans with new ideas are always going to push it and break it in every direction possible, and that's not a bad thing. It teaches us development, change and logic reasoning. If a fanfic goes totally fanon, we get it and move on, but the subconscious are always trying to tie those loose threads together and eventually you've got a new set of logic reasoning that prepares you for new challenges.

Somehow not paying attention to the fans can leave your franchise stuck in the status quo and eventually die out.

And for something completely different; Marketing and merch.
    Fans should be able to market the product by their own terms. And fans should be able to produce merch with just a good eye from the studios. It's marketing too.

The studios aren't just nurturing their current creators pre-production. They're nurturing future creators post-production in form of fans who also wants to be in the pre-production process some day. What makes it hard these days are the studios simple act of maintaining the status quo with their franchises. And in these days of deviantArt/Kickstarter fusions, more and more franchises are getting "attacked" by fans who want nothing more than a little development and care for said franchises.

Is that a bad thing?

Dudley is online now <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't mean to flip flop on the issue, as I'm aware of the good and the bad that can come from all of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CinaMel View Post
    Yes, it is.

Because fans don't all agree on the direction they want to go with the series. To appeal to a certain loud group of fans is to ignore the larger non vocal group. Animation studios always try to create content that can appeal to as many people as possible (staying within their intended demographic, of course), and as big as the fanbase is, they don't equate to the size of the regular viewers.

Team Teen

Cartoon heroes unite!

Goldstar Neo is offline I like the streaks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CinaMel View Post

There's a term that's very describing here;

Status Quo

The fans with new ideas are always going to push it and break it in every direction possible, and that's not a bad thing. It teaches us development, change and logic reasoning. If a fanfic goes totally fanon, we get it and move on, but the subconscious are always trying to tie those loose threads together and eventually you've got a new set of logic reasoning that prepares you for new challenges.

Somehow not paying attention to the fans can leave your franchise stuck in the status quo and eventually die out.

And for something completely different; Marketing and merch.
    Fans should be able to market the product by their own terms. And fans should be able to produce merch with just a good eye from the studios. It's marketing too.

The studios aren't just nurturing their current creators pre-production. They're nurturing future creators post-production in form of fans who also wants to be in the pre-production process some day. What makes it hard these days are the studios simple act of maintaining the status quo with their franchises. And in these days of deviantArt/Kickstarter fusions, more and more franchises are getting "attacked" by fans who want nothing more than a little development and care for said franchises.

Is that a bad thing?
    Yes, it is.

By constantly giving in to fans' wants and desires at what point does it stop being the creator's project and said project becomes a thing that's solely generated by fan wanking? And what happens if 2 different fans want completely opposite things for the show? It's impossible to please everyone, and creators shouldn't attempt to do so. First and foremost, they have to satisfy themselves in order to achieve artistic fulfillment. It's not the responsibility of the creators nor the studios to make sure that their fans' ideas get heard. If fans wish to get into the business, they should try to do so with their own ideas and projects. No one or nothing is preventing them from doing so.

It's all right for a creator to listen to fans' suggestions, but when it comes down to it, it's the creator's vision, not anyone else's, that must be respected. I tend to follow the philosophy of JG Quintel, the creator of Regular Show:

Make the things that you want to see, not what you think other people want to see. It's way too much work to be making something that you're not even into
    Last edited by Goldstar Neo; 11-20-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.

Hordesman is offline slashor
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Some months back, variety had an article on why online fandom was unreliable. They represented a smaller portion of the audience and there was concern people discussing a reality show during working hours was representative of what advertisers wanted.

Dudley is online now <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'll always remember how some guy at a Brony convention asked if Princess Celestia, the kind and caring ruler of Equestria, was a molester. This man, in his 30's, was asking voice actors this at a panel, and children were present in the audience.
    These kind of people are amongst the most obnoxious and therefore loudest members of a fandom. I rather the fans not be listened to at all, if it means keeping people like that away from tampering with a cartoon.

Team Teen

Cartoon heroes unite!

trance2009 is offline Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It can be creepy being an adult cartoon fan at times, others give us a bad name.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast