Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    PapaGreg is offline Getting off from violence
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is it possible to make a action cartoon about the Wild West

Like This Thread!

Once you actually thing about it making a cartoon about the Wild Whamans, Demons, Steampunk, Chinese zombies, Outlaws or Clets. The cartoon has to PG or Y 7 but do you think a western cartoon can be on air especially if it contains guns and est wood be a very intersting cartoon with lores and depth, I mean think about it Mothmen, UFOs, Ghosts, or psychological horror and racism. Not only that but you also have elements of other cultures to so the show can S

Gatordragon is offline El Zombino - level 1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't know, but I would like to see one! I bet even my dad would watch. My old man's not into cartoons, but he loves westerns.

Considering the time period westerns take place in, I wonder how the racism would be handled.

El Zombino of the Huracan clan from Urban Rivals

For little brother, Jorgito, life is above all a tale of opportunities. So what better time to put this to the test than during the Festival of the Dead in Los Santos? Jorgito and his sister have concluded that, OK, you may not be able to negotiate with death, but you can make some damn good money out of it!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatordragon View Post
    I don't know, but I would like to see one! I bet even my dad would watch. My old man's not into cartoons, but he loves westerns.

Considering the time period westerns take place in, I wonder how the racism would be handled.
    This I'd like to see without the shoe getting slapped with a more mature rating and shown during late hours of the day.

I can see the show either ignoring racism altogether or simply make all the characters white to avoid any possibility of it although if aliens are involved then the theme can be used better still aince then it'll literally be racism.

PapaGreg is offline Getting off from violence
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRailroad8794 View Post
    This I'd like to see without the shoe getting slapped with a more mature rating and shown during late hours of the day.

I can see the show either ignoring racism altogether or simply make all the characters white to avoid any possibility of it although if aliens are involved then the theme can be used better still aince then it'll literally be racism.

Honestly I hope they would take the fantastic world approch similer to Avatar or One Piece

Classic Speedy is offline It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well, there was The Legend of Calamity Jane, but it was short-lived.

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    An action cartoon can be set anywhere its' creator wants.

The challenge is securing it an audience, ad sponsorship and network support.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bravestarr, Saber Rider, & Galaxy Rangers

There's been 3 great cartoons about the wild, wild (space) west all from the '80s.

Bravestarr- Filmation's Indians as cowboys on an alien world. It handled all manner of serious issues including drug addiction, death, murder, and racism.

Saber Rider & The Star Sheriffs- World Events Productions dub became more westernized when they changed the music and added episodes. The Star Sheriffs spent their time fighting the alien Outriders from the Vapor Zone in their giant transforming robot Ramrod (voiced by Peter Cullen doing his best John Wayne impression and clearly having a ball).

Adventures Of The Galaxy Rangers- the one show I didn't watch when it was on. But am catching up with on DVD. Beautifully animated this series follows the Galaxy Rangers never ending struggle against the Queen Of The Crown. Jerry Orbach stars as Zachary Foxx.

ILDC is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieB21:-) View Post
    Bravestarr- Filmation's Indians as cowboys on an alien world. It handled all manner of serious issues including drug addiction, death, murder, and racism.

ShadowBeast is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatordragon View Post

The racism would be ignored, it's the use of firearms that would be more of a concern in today's PC world.

Goldstar Neo is offline Dat's cold, bro!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If said Wild West series were to have a separate fantasy setting a la One Piece or Avatar, then it wouldn't need to be historically accurate, in which case racism would be a non-issue. As for the use of firearms, a solution to that would be to use fantasy weapons which don't exist in the real world, a la Trigun.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.

King_of_doom is offline kiva fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm surprise nobody mention Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa :P
    You'll never get credit for my discovery,Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow*Herbert West*

Deadpool: They replace Megas XLR for this!? Man where’s the world coming to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar Neo View Post
    If said Wild West series were to have a separate fantasy setting a la One Piece or Avatar, then it wouldn't need to be historically accurate, in which case racism would be a non-issue. As for the use of firearms, a solution to that would be to use fantasy weapons which don't exist in the real world, a la Trigun.
    in other words laser weapons, they might as well add cars and spaceships too.

Goldstar Neo is offline Dat's cold, bro!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBeast View Post
    in other words laser weapons, they might as well add cars and spaceships too.

Spaceships maybe, but not cars. I think that robot horses would be better.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.

Shirubie is offline samurai wannabe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How about Lucky Luke? There's been three different series based on this european comic character (okay technically two, the third is a spinoff featuring the Dalton brothers), several animated movies and even two live-action adaptations. It's pretty unknown in the US unfortunately.
    "If it has wings, I can crash it!" Launchpad McQuack, Ducktales.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar Neo View Post
    Spaceships maybe, but not cars. I think that robot horses would be better.
    I'd like to see a classic western cartoon without the sci-fi and modern stuff like cars and computers.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBeast View Post

I'd like to see a classic western cartoon without the sci-fi and modern stuff like cars and computers.
    I agree. Set it in a historical western setting with a twist of fantasy, aome hand to hand combat, gunplay, and we're good to go!

TheVileOne is online now Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King_of_doom View Post
    I'm surprise nobody mention Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa :P
    I was about to mention that and Bravestarr, but then I saw others already did:

I think traditional westerns just don't play as well with the young kids right now. And the adolescents for that matter.

After Disney took a $200 million wash on The Lone Ranger, and then also John Carter which had some western elements, I wouldn't expect any animated westerns for quite some time.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

ILDC is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    I think traditional westerns just don't play as well with the young kids right now. And the adolescents for that matter.

After Disney took a $200 million wash on The Lone Ranger, and then also John Carter which had some western elements, I wouldn't expect any animated westerns for quite some time.
    Well, aside from Disney Junior's Sheriff Callie’s Wild West.

Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Given a large number of real-life cowboys during the Old West were African-American, including Black characters in the series wouldn't be out of place. As for racism, I assume either it'd be ignored, downplayed, or handled appropriately (as in some modern/recent-ish westerns... Fox's "Brisco County Jr." in the early 90s for one).

Still, doesn't seem likely to see a Western (comedic or dramatic) anytime soon. Despite literally every other form of fiction before the 70s being cowboy-related (or so it feels), Westerns have fallen off in popularity since then. More likely to see "a special Western episode" of some typical modern TV cartoon instead (such as that SpongeBob episode set in the old west).
    Visit my other online spots:
    My blog, covering technology, comics, and animation, plus my weekly
    minorities in cartoons feature!
    Twitter
    Facebook