Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    SF4Ever is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Share your memories of CBS Saturday mornings

Like This Thread!

CBS Saturday mornings for animated programs is no more- Litton Entertainment is taking over, starting next weekend. In a sense, corporate sibling Nick has taken over as the location for new animated programs for Saturday mornings. Then there's also Vortexx on the CW, which still carries animated programs, but from a standpoint among those who grew up on Saturday morning animation on the broadcast networks(CBS, ABC & NBC), it's just not the same, but like in all things in life, we move on. I'm going to start with shows like Fat Albert & the Cosby Kids, Tarzan Lord of the Jungle, The All-New Popeye Hour, The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show, Jim Henson's Muppet Babies and Garfield & Friends- long-running Saturday morning shows that I grew up watching on CBS. In the mid-to-late 1980's, I was primarily watching CBS Saturday mornings- I still remember those In the News segments in-between programs, narrated by the late Christopher Glenn as well as those PSAs to sway teens to avoid alcohol. I also remember those colorful bumpers, too. Well, we knew this day was coming- that's why we've been having discussions about how Cartoon Network, Disney Channel and Nick can make TV animation on Saturday mornings more viewer attractive, which would include a several add-ons, such as more PSAs, TV celebrities hosting Saturday morning animation blocks, short music videos in-between programs, heavier promotions for the programs, increasing episode counts for each programs(to keep animators working all year round), increasing variety in the program blocks, making the programs more viewer accessible, etc., because now, that needs to be done- kids are not going to stop watching cartoons on Saturday mornings, animation fans aren't going to stop watching on Saturday mornings, but demographics need to be balanced and gender stereotyping needs to end, altogether. Getting back to the memories of CBS Saturday mornings, since I watched, all the time, I was miffed when my local CBS affiliate pulled the plug on the block at the beginning of 1992- I had to switch to another nearby CBS affiliate to watch those programs. By the mid-1980's, I had fallen in love with watching Jim Henson's Muppet Babies- that show made me laugh, especially with Fozzie's crazy jokes, Gonzo's bizarre mannerisms, Animal's perpetual wackiness, combined with Kermit's level-headed demeanor, among other things, how can anyone not love that. I also learned Tarzan's yodel from watching episodes of Tarzan Lord of the Jungle- in fact, every Saturday afternoon, during the spring and summer months, when the sun was out under clear skies, I could imagine playing at the local playground, underneath the foliage and a kid yodels like Tarzan. There was also Fat Albert and his friends- I could picture playing at a school playground, during the warm months with other kids, too. Personally, watching cartoons on CBS Saturday morning had a profound effect on me. Now, I'm hoping Saturday morning animated programs on Cartoon Network, Disney Channel and Nick will have a positive and profound effect on the youngsters of this current generation. I'll miss watching Saturday morning cartoons on CBS- now, you can share your memories.
    Like it or not, I never apologize for being a fan of whomever they may be.

gmster is offline Delicious.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SF4Ever View Post
    corporate sibling Nick
    CBS and Viacom split from each other back in 2005.

FidgitStyles is offline Gun can't help it if it moves.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    CBS kid's is probably, on average, my second most watched Saturday morning line-up from 1982-2001 between Kid's WB and Fox Kid's. I do not remember the PSA's all to much, I am wondering if the Looney Tune Constitution ones were on CBS, nor do I remember the bumpers, but I do remember the programming up until it died in 1997. My first memories of CBS Kid's was Saturday Morning Supercade, my second cartoon based off of video games. I barely remember Dungeons and Dragons, and the Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show, really anything before 1988 I can remember watching, but, unless I've seen them within the last 20 years, I can not tell you what they are about, and by that time ABC had a strong line-up and Fox Kid's was about to start. The stand outs for me before CBS Kid's died were, Muppet Babies, Pee-Wee's Playhouse, Garfield and Friends, Rude Dog and the Dweebs, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Mother Goose and Grim, Back to the Future, Little Mermaid, Raw Toonage (and it's spin off), Aladdin, Timon and Pumbaa, The Mask, and Secrets of the Crypt Keepers Haunted House (Awesome Game Show). CBS was smart with their programming too. Unlike Disney and Warner Bros. they didn't limit themselves to a certain number of episodes for a show, Muppet babies, Ninja Turtles, and Garfield lasted for years and remained popular up until 1997. Bringing in some Disney shows helped some. Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and Timon and Pumbaa were hits, Raw Toonage and Marsupilami not so much. The only bumpers I remember were the ones with the kid's in the control room pushing buttons. I wonder if, in the end, CBS knew what was coming down the road with Kid's WB, Fox Kid's, and with Disney's 1 Saturday Morning starting up the following year. Course those are just my thoughts.
    Drive-ins will vanish if they don’t go digital by Dec 31. RT and help #savethedrivein – http://projectdrivein.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There are certain animated programs that CBS owns the rights to that one day I'd like to see released on DVD someday- they include Filmation's 1979 program The Adventures of Mighty Mouse and Heckle & Jeckle and Hanna-Barbera's 1970 program The Harlem Globetrotters, as well as various CBS Storybreak programs. As for the bumpers, I liked the 1982-83 season's Starcade bumpers with Rick Dees' voice-overs- those bumpers played until the end of the 1984-85 season. Those days are now gone, but never forgotten. Now, is this the end of Saturday morning cartoons, altogether? Absolutely not, but that atmosphere has pretty much shifted to Cartoon Network, Disney Channel and Nick, who now must bare the responsibility to program animation on Saturday mornings and that also means developing more Saturday morning exclusive programming, for all audiences and to both balance demographics and eliminate gender stereotyping, once and for all. Everything else, I don't need to go into detail about.

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Two words: Fido Dido.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Tobias is offline Who you gonna call?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember the excitement over hearing that CBS would be airing new and exclusive TMNT episodes in the fall of 1990. Between that and the live action movie hitting earlier that year, it was a great time to be a Turtle fan.

CBS also gave us great shows like Hey, Vern, It's Ernest!, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures, The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse, Ruby Spear's Superman, and the Mask among others.

MadMan400096 is offline Social Outcast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll admit, I was born a little too late to really remember CBS's SatAM offerings. All I really saw was a few Nick and Nick Jr. shows from when Viacom still owned it. After the split, I might glance once or twice at later blocks, but that was it. None of them were ever really as important to me as One Saturday Morning/ABC Kids, Fox Kids/Fox Box/4Kids TV, or Kids' WB were. That said, a few of the shows that had originally aired on the network managed to get my attention, mostly the Disney shows, but Garfield and Friends remains one of my all time favorite TV cartoons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    Two words: Fido Dido.
    I remember those bumpers. They were quite entertaining. I always wondered why a 7up mascot was on the bumpers for CBS Kids.
    Drive-ins will vanish if they don’t go digital by Dec 31. RT and help #savethedrivein – http://projectdrivein.com

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I vaguely remember watching some of the Red Sky episodes of TMNT when they first aired. It was either season 9 or season 10, since I do remember Carter being there by that point and thinking he was Keno from the second film.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it? You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure. (Updates Bi-Weekly! Newest: 4/11 - Megazone 23 Part 3/Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    At least you got the Red Sky episodes. CBS pre-empted them here for Season 8 & 9 for some unknown reason, then started airing them again for S10. I hated it when networks black out shows for local programming. ABC was the worst offender for doing that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Those were the episodes where they redid the theme song and the production values got cheaper right? And they replaced Shredder with a new main villain. I guess I stopped watching by then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, Seasons 8-10 were the 'Red Sky' seasons, when the show was also cut down from an hour to a single half hour. In S8, the show became part of the CBS Action Zone block (the bumpers are on the DVD sets) along with W.I.L.D. Cats and Skeleton Warriors. But when those two shows bombed, I think the Action Zone consisted only of TMNT until it's cancellation after season 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    During the 1980's, I watched CBS Saturday mornings, regularly. BTW, has anyone ever had the music scores from the Saturday mornings running through your head, during the week? With me, I have, and it came from shows, such as Jim Henson's Muppet Babies,Hanna-Barbera's Wildfire, Teen Wolf, Filmation's Blackstar and Dungeons & Dragons. Sometimes, when I'm riding with my parents, I think about those very same music scores, while passing beside the roadside foliage on a warm, clear and sunny day. To me, at the time, watching CBS Saturday mornings was a way of life, during the mid to late 1980's.

zoombie is offline Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember as kid watching shows like Muppet Babies, Pee Wee's Playhouse, Garfield and Friends, etc., and later Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, in the pre Kids WB era, it was the place to be for satruday morning cartoons in my opinion. Though ABC had some good shows too.

I feel like a part of my childhood ended with the news of its cancelation, but really it hasn't been the same for a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoombie View Post
    I remember as kid watching shows like Muppet Babies, Pee Wee's Playhouse, Garfield and Friends, etc., and later Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, in the pre Kids WB era, it was the place to be for satruday morning cartoons in my opinion. Though ABC had some good shows too.

I feel like a part of my childhood ended with the news of its cancelation, but really it hasn't been the same for a long time.
    It's ironic that Disney now owns Jim Henson's Muppet Babies, the most recent incarnation of Garfield, following Garfield & Friends was The Garfield Show on Cartoon Network(Frank Welker, who also served as Lorenzo Music's alternate as Garfield, succeeded him in that role for the latter series) and the current incarnation of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles now runs every Saturday morning on Nick. Things have changed, since Jim Henson's Muppet Babies, Garfield & Friends and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ran on CBS. Nowadays, we can rely on both Cartoon Network and Nick to carry animation on Saturday mornings, but Disney, we may have to send letters, pushing for make its TV animation properties more accessible for viewers- there should be nothing holding it back, nowadays.

hobbyfan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ya gotta understand, I may be one of the oldest guys here, so bear with me:

The 60's: Superman and the DC heroes, Space Ghost, Bugs Bunny/Road Runner, Lone Ranger, Archie, Herculoids. Need I go on?
    The 70's: Filmation's live-action experimental phase (1974-9), including Shazam and the original Ghost Busters. The Kroffts sold their first to CBS, Far Out Space Nuts. Archie & Scooby-Doo were sent packing after the 1975-6 season. Of course, there's also Fat Albert, who got 12 seasons at CBS, not once moving out of the lunch hour block.

The 80's: TMNT, the return of Superman to CBS, Hulk Hogan bombing on Saturdays, to be replaced by Pee-Wee Herman. Muppet Babies for the wee ones, unless you were looking for old movie footage.......

The 90's: Things begin to fall apart after the ill-fated Action Zone block bombed, and the Turtles eventually left. Haven't really bothered with it much since.

In the 70's, I should point out, the local affiliates were blacking out shows in the middle of the block in favor of Popeye or Looney Tunes reruns to complement what was airing weekdays in the days before they swapped networks with the other local channels. So, I missed a few that ended up cancelled after 1 year (i.e. Bailey's Comets, Jeannie).

dumbfoolkid5 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I remember my earliest experience with CBS Saturday morning, those eyecatch commercial break segments were uniqe and mostly scary when I was a 5 year old.

dth1971 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When Charlie Brown/Snoopy and Garfield and Archie had their own Saturday morning shows on CBS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I used to love to watch "Garfield and Friends", "CBS Storybreak", "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", and most of the shows on the CBS Kidsshow.