Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    ILuvToons is offline Radioactive rubber pants!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Peabody and Sherman" Pre-Release Discussion

Like This Thread!
    Hello everyone,
    I know this is pretty early to talk about already, but considering HTTYD 2 is already receiving some buzz (which comes after this one) and nobody has mentioned much about this, I thought I'd go ahead and make a thread exclusively for "Peabody and Sherman."

I remember watching the original series on "Rocky and Bullwinkle" via DVD. IMO it was my favorite of the shorts. So when I heard there was going to be a movie made of it, I had some doubts about it initially.

First off, as we all know from theatrical history, movies based on cartoons tend to underperform, especially if the producers are not the same from the show itself. In the case of Jay Ward cartoons, however, Hollywood has made several stinkers out of them, such as "George of the Jungle," "Dudley Do-Right," and "Rocky and Bullwinkle." Two reasons come to mind as to why these films didn't fare too well: the story and characters weren't strong, which is what made these shows famous, and they were done in live-action. Things done in animated form don't always translate well into real life. Sure, the animation is subpar by today's standards, but as the saying goes, "good writing trumps bad art," and these cartoon shows are good examples of this.

A few things have popped up in the last year that have given me some hope about this movie. Thankfully this time around, Hollywood has decided to make this recent adaption animated, which should have been the case with the previous films to begin with. Would have liked to see it traditionally done, but the fact that it's at least animated is great to hear. Also, the director of "Peabody and Sherman" is none other than Rob Minkoff, director of "The Lion King," one of the highest-grossing animated cartoons of all time. As stated in an interview with Minkoff, which can be seen below,

http://youtu.be/nWVTm1uRhPI

he has seen the series as a kid, which is an added bonus. He also stated that he will try to make it as true to the original as possible.

Hopefully, we should be seeing some promos for this soon. This could finally end the cycle of bad adaptions of Jay Ward shows and receive the treatment it deserves. It will also be a good opportunity to rekindle the Rocky and Bullwinkle franchise and to introduce these characters to a new audience. If not, it will be a sad disappointment and will further the ruin of our childhood.

So, what are your thoughts on "Peabody and Sherman"? Any new info on the film is greatly appreciated.
    Cartoons then, cartoons now, cartoons forever!

"Sometimes seeing is believing. And sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see."
    —Conductor, "The Polar Express"

Dudley is offline <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I hear that Ty Burrell from Modern Family is voicing Mr. Peabody. Not really thrilled about it since, his voice doesn't fit the character.
    Wish they gotten RDJr instead.

Still looking forward to it though. 2014 is going to be a great year for animated movies.

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I remember hearing about this originally and thought it sounded like a bad idea. Now I think it sounds alright.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors
    Want to read some movie reviews? Check out the blog
    http://animatedmoviegoddess.blogspot.com/

Aquadementia is offline Mutant Snow Goons!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm kind of looking forward to it.
    I like Ty Burrell from Modern Family, I haven't heard him yet, but they say he is pulling off the voice.
    Stephen Colbert should be a fun addition to the cast.
    Sounds like it will have more depth then a standard Mr. Peabody cartoon, I hope it doesn't mean he won't get to do his puns.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Time for the first trailer

Looks better than I expected. After that whole Turbo fiasco I was prepared for the worst.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think that the characters look surprisingly good but the plot look kind of "meh whatever". I am probably going to see it anyway.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors
    Want to read some movie reviews? Check out the blog
    http://animatedmoviegoddess.blogspot.com/

Ballboi is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The first trailer was pretty decent. All of the different adventurous endevors made me think of Wreck-It Ralph in a way.

Also, unlike something as say...Smurfs, Alvin & the Chipmunks, or Yogi Bear; Dreamworks isn't trying to make this as "hip and modern" as they possibly can. The animation style fits the tone and the spirit of the old shorts from the 50's and 60's.

Looney Tunes Fan is offline Classic Cartoon Fan!!!!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Welp, this looks like one good movie. Can't wait!
    I love classic cartoons!!
    If you're a fan of classic cartoons, please visit The IAD Forums! It's the place to talk and chat about your favorite cartoons! Run by eutychus, this site has brought back a bunch of GAC members, and some toonzone members are over there too! Check it out today!: http://www.intanibase.com/forum/index.php

kid rabbit is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm hooked dreamworks know what their doing

zoombie is online now Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was worried about after the Underdog fiasco, they were going to turn Mr. Peabody into a regular dog that somehows gains intelligence, and his Sherman's pet dog.

Here they tweaked Peabody and Sherman's realationship a bit, here Sherman is Peabody's adapted son, while in the carton Sherman was Peabody's pet boy, which I thought was a funny twist, but I don't think you can get away with that, the word "boy" has too much of a overtone with slavery.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast