Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Dr. Daedalus is offline I'm WikiBear!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by PC! View Post
    It's pretty easy to discern the different AoStH animation styles. They're all quite unique from one another.

Determining which company did which, however, is a bit more difficult.
    Well then the question is, do any of the styles in AOSTH look and move similarly to other shows animated by Hong Ying, Saerom, and Rainbow? I have to admit I'm not familiar with most of the shows these studios have worked on (and thus couldn't easily pick out their styles in AOSTH), but maybe others are more well-versed in their work.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMan400096 View Post
    Well, they did have a lot of work on Animaniacs at the time (since both aired weekdays in the Fall 1993 season), so they probably couldn't do anymore than that five.
    Ahhhh... So that's why the characters' aesthetics looked similar to one another! Wow.

Philmister978 is offline Alvight, you vin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Speedy View Post
    Well then the question is, do any of the styles in AOSTH look and move similarly to other shows animated by Hong Ying, Saerom, and Rainbow? I have to admit I'm not familiar with most of the shows these studios have worked on (and thus couldn't easily pick out their styles in AOSTH), but maybe others are more well-versed in their work.
    Well, Saerom was working on SatAM at the same time, and Hong Ying would do Sonic Underground several years later. Rainbow I'm not all that familiar with either.

Needless to say, either Chinese and Korean animation don't stand out as much as Japanese animation. Or I'm not that good enough to discern different art styles.
    Aw come on, you expect me to put something witty here?

Leviathan is offline "It's against nature!"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This could be completely inaccurate, but TVTropes assigns credit to the TMS Sonic's thusly.

• Opening: Toshihiko Masuda; In house.
    • Quest For The Chaos Emeralds Part 1/Blackbot The Pirate: Kazuhide Tomonaga; Nakamura Productions.
    • Quest For The Chaos Emeralds Part 2/Hedgehog of the Hound Table: Kenji Hachizaki; Anime Spot.
    • Quest For The Chaos Emeralds Part 3/Robotnik's Pyramid Scheme: Atsuko Tanaka; Actas.
    • Quest For The Chaos Emeralds Part 4/Prehistoric Sonic: Toshihiko Masuda; Studio Jungle Gym.
    • Super Robotnik: Kenji Hachizaki (first half, left during production to work on Farewell To Nostradamus), Yuichiro Yano (second half), Hiroyuki Aoyama (The Sonic Sez segment of the episode); In house.
    TvTropes doesn't cite a source, which makes verifying anything difficult, but IMHO these credits don't sound obviously made up. If it's true, it would explain why the intro, Super Robotnik and the Chaos Emerald quadrilogy all have radically different art styles.
    Zim: "I thought the Tallest killed you."
    Skoodge "Yeah, but I'm all right now."
    Mad Jack the Pirate: "You were DEAD! How do you get better from being DEAD, you Scottish twit?!??"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think most of the info about TMS on TVTropes was submitted by PCFamicom. So....... yeah.

Leviathan is offline "It's against nature!"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Doesn't mean it can't be right, too. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.
    Zim: "I thought the Tallest killed you."
    Skoodge "Yeah, but I'm all right now."
    Mad Jack the Pirate: "You were DEAD! How do you get better from being DEAD, you Scottish twit?!??"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    Doesn't mean it can't be right, too. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.
    Yeah I know. For all I know he could be right. It's just that I've never seen him cite any sources, so I have to take whatever he writes about TMS with a grain of salt.

RandomMe is online now Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Speedy View Post
    Yeah I know. For all I know he could be right. It's just that I've never seen him cite any sources, so I have to take whatever he writes about TMS with a grain of salt.
    There should be more about TMS's involvement in the series... somewhere...

Robochao is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great topic. I have an okay idea of telling when Hong Ying is animating based on Pierre DeCelles' involvement and the TMS ones also. There's a quote from him on one Toonzone article where his translator helped him animate a scene with one of the chinese animators who happened to be deaf, but I can't find it. It was at the beginning of "Big Daddy".

Pierre DeCelles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "- 1995 Layout and Animation Director, ( Hong Ying,China )'The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog' ( TV series ), 'Big Daddy','Snow Problem', 'So long Sucker', 'Sonic Breakout',' Sonic gets trashed','The mystery of the missing Hi-Tops', 'Robotnik JR', 'Mc Hopper','Mad Mike, da bear warrior', 'Attack on the Pinball Fortress', 'The Little Merhog', 'The Robot's Robot', 'Hero of the year', 'Life of the sick and twisted', 'Sonic is running'."

This only covers episodes Pierre oversaw but it doesn't the mean the list is excluded to them. If an episode has the same movement/ink and paint it's Hong Ying. I have a list filled with who I think animates each episode but it's based on kneejerk observations that don't mean much because again the credits are very unhelpful. Some of the studios knew what to do and others didn't. If anyone's interested in the rest of my assumptions about Saerom and Rainbow Korea, feel free to PM me. It's rather long and intricate.
    Last edited by Robochao; 02-20-2014 at 07:25 PM.
    happy sig is happy

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Side question: Which division of Rainbow Animation Group was used for Sonic? From what I understand, they had branches in South Korea, China, and the Philippines.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast