Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Restless is offline Kinda mostly a lurker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub C View Post
    I always felt the one thing that truly held Sonic X back from being the best Sonic cartoon and Chris and the overall focus on the human characters. It'd be nice to have a Sonic show that actually played it straight with the Sega universe. The bit about the 'Comedy' doesn't bother me since Sega Sonic has never really been that serious.
    ^
    This. I never saw the point of Chris and company. A fun part about Sonic is that recurring human characters have limited roles; there's really just Maria, who appears in flashbacks, and Eggman/Robotnik, a major character whose design is cartoony to begin with. I'd love a series that starts with the core group of characters and slowly expands to include others in supporting roles. Plus maybe some cameos of those beloved-but-mostly-abandoned characters (Ray, Mighty, Fang, etc.). If they choose to keep it comedy-based, then I could see it as an excellent opportunity for some world-building. I feel like there is so much about Sonic's world that just hasn't been explored. One of the many faults with Sonic X is that it ignored their world in favor of our own. And when they finally did go back, it was based in space. The games have provided solid groundwork for a well-done Sonic cartoon. If this is real, I hope they can do it right.

(Oh, and I also hope they stay away from those Archie-only characters, besides maybe a background cameo. Not because I dislike them so much as I would want this series to stick to the games.)

ShadowGUN is offline Hey listen!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like a modern version of AoSTH . Hope it truth. It been a while since Sonic had anything good on TV.
    "Toonami:Tougher than the Best,Stronger than the Rest."

TOONAMI LIVES (5/26/12)

The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaneMan View Post
    ..... I really hope they stay as far away from the Archie comics and Sonic SatAM as possible seriously, everything that went wrong with the franchise over the years can be traced back to that glorified fanfiction .....
    I have to agree - the only way I'd ever sit down to this is only if it stays as far away from SatAM's type of pretentious and over-serious writing, but also if it stays away from the kind of storytelling that made Sonic X dead on arrival, IMHO...

Instead, they should stick with the established continuity and characters from the following games:
    Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic CD, Tails Adventure, Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Advance, Advance 2, Advance 3, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic 4, Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, and possibly Sonic Lost World

These games combined make for a great source of material for writers to work with (a luxury the creators of Sonic SatAM didn't have)
    I must bow down to the brilliant amount of common sense here. That is something I'm sure the writers won't do, hence my massive doubts in this series, should it be made at all.

Ryusuke is offline SomethingWithTheR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting. If it's true, I hope there's still action in there, and keeping it in the game continuity would be nice.
    "Don't take life too seriously; you'll never make it out alive!"
    - Bugs Bunny, "Rabbit Feat" (1960)

Silverstar is offline Delightfully Dotty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Guy View Post
    "comedic?" Aw, man! Can't we get any straight action shows anymore?
    Right now there's more money to be made off kids' comedy than kids' action. And to be fair, Sonic has never been hardcore serious. It's based on a video game about a fast-moving blue hedgehog in gloves and sneakers (design-wise he's basically punk Mickey Mouse) squaring off against an egg-shaped mad scientist who pollutes because he thinks it's fun. It never really stood a chance of ever being a straight action show.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Nightwing26 is online now Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    instead, they should stick with the established continuity and characters from the games:

Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic CD, Tails Adventure, Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Advance, Advance 2, Advance3, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic 4, Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, and possibly Sonic Lost World
    You sir are a very sane man

How awesome would it be if the show had 1-3 episodes that adapted every single game on the franchise up to Unleashed, where it slows down and becomes a good 13-26 episodes (26 is too long I think). Next, go straight into Generations, another 13-26 episodes. Then, a 13-26 episode arc on Colours followed by Lost World. As this continues for the next few years the show will always be at least one game behind the actual series and can adapt the next one after a season. If the games are slowing down, then do a Sega AllStars arc, or a Mario and Sonic arc, or a Megaman and Sonic arc (okay it's from the comics but come on, Sonic+Megaman=Awesomeness). Maybe even a Super Smash Bros. Brawl/for Wii U/for 3DS arc.

Lord Dalek is online now Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Archieverse could work as a tv series but it would require extensive rewriting especially to the time period covered by the first 30-40 issues or so.

Sonic_Eclipse is offline Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm ecstatic that there's even talk of a new Sonic show, but I don't know about an all out comedy series. The last thing this franchise needs is another AoSTH. I think a series done in the tone of the OVA would be good. But I also think a series written like The Black Knight through Generations would be the perfect balance between action and comedy.

Still if this proves to be true I wonder what studio is behind this and what network will it be on. Vortexx is a possibility.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They have countless directions to send this show down with the games, comics, and past series. Personally, I've always wanted a Sonic series that was faithful to the original games starting from square one with the Genesis era. The closest we got to having anything from the Genesis games on television is appearances of some zones from Sonic 1 and 2 that looked nothing like their original counterparts and were simply used as backdrops and nothing more. We had the Chaos Emeralds in AoStH, and while I do like the unique spin they put on them, they were completely different from their game counterparts (they didn't even come in different colors!). I was kind of disappointed that there was no Super Sonic in either 90s show despite both of them premiering after the release of Sonic 2.

When I first read the title of this thread, naturally the first thing to pop in my head was Sonic CD, specifically its animated intro. Hopefully they use the song as the show's theme because that would be an instant callback to Sonic's glory days. I would even like to see that specific style of animation and character designs in the show but it won't happen for the simple fact that the characters have changed dramatically since then. However if comedy is going to be implemented, I hope they balance it with the proper amount of action that Sonic games are known for. Think of a hybrid of AoStH and Sonic X (minus the humans)... UNSTOPPABLE.

One more thing, people seem to forget that the Sonic series, while mainly innocent and playful has its darker moments (i.e. Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic Adventure) and those shouldn't be ignored either. So long as they aren't pushing the limits of seriousness and looking stupid in the process (i.e. Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06) then a serious tone here is embraced.

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The name makes it seem pretty questionable to me as it's a huge nostalgia play.
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast