Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ever After High: Are You A Royal Or A Rebel? Talkback

Like This Thread!

Ever After High is the spin off of Mattel's popular Monster High franchise of dolls, books, webisodes, and accesories.

Ever After High is about a boarding school where the sons and daughters of famous fairy-tale characters learn the skills they need to fulfill their destinies.

The main characters are Apple White (daughter of Snow White) and Raven Queen (daughter of the Evil Queen from Snow White). One is a Royal who wants everything to follow the plot of the fairy tale and get her own "Happily Ever After". The other is a Rebel who wants to rewrite her story. They both need each other because if they don't fulfill their roles their stories cease to exist!!!

Other characters include:

Prince Daring Charming - Apple's beau
    Briar Rose- Sleeping Beauty's YOLO loving daughter
    Madeline Hatter- The Mad Hatter's daughter, ripping off Pinkie Pie so hard it's not even funny
    Dexter Charming- Daring's brother, who might as well Jackson Jekyll
    C.A. Cupid- transferring from Monster High
    And the rest I'll get to later.

The Flash based animation is leaps and bounds ahead of Monster High's. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mattel looked at what My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is able to accomplish and decided to put more money and effort into it.

What's most interesting about the whole thing is that Apple & Raven are set up to have a "Galinda & Elphaba Wicked" style relationship. Plus we don't know what Raven wants to do with her life. She doesn't want to poison Apple, but does that mean she wants to stay the Queen?

The first 2 episodes are online with each chapter having dueling narrators that each champion Apple or Raven. The entire thing invokes comparisons to Princess Tutu, Wicked, Shrek 2, and Once Upon A Time. The only downside so far is that the cast speaks in modern slang that doesn't really fit the setting. But it is cute and I want to see where the story is headed. You can have a lot of fun just trying to catch who all the other background fairy tale characters are.

This franchise is the Goliath Equestria Girls wants to slay.

Mattel is releasing a series of Ever After High books by Shannon Hale. Just like they did the Monster High series by Lisi Harrison.

Shannon Hale and Mattel Live Happily 'Ever After'

Ever After High Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/EverAfterHi...ocation=stream

Ever After High

The End Is Just The Beginning.......

Dudley is online now <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    In terms of visuals and animation, this looks better than Monster High, but that's because of all the After Effects lighting they got going on.
    I really hope that down the line, that the characters learn that they're able to make their own destiny, because right now it's teaching kids that if you don't choose the path that's been given to you. And that's pretty horrible.

With the exception of Madeline Hatter (this franchise's Pinkie Pie), all the characters are shallow and boring.

Toons These Days
    Now on That Guy With the Glasses.com
    New episodes return December 16!

Website | Deviantart | Facebook | Twitter | Patreon |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Apple & Daring Shallow?!?! *Gasp* How Dare You!

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    In terms of visuals and animation, this looks better than Monster High, but that's because of all the After Effects lighting they got going on.
    I really hope that down the line, that the characters learn that they're able to make their own destiny, because right now it's teaching kids that if you don't choose the path that's been given to you. And that's pretty horrible.

With the exception of Madeline Hatter (this franchise's Pinkie Pie), all the characters are shallow and boring.
    I think that's the way EAH is going to differentiate itself from MH. There's no series Alpha Witch/Mean Girl the way Cleo De Nile is. Apple & Daring are the Ken & Barbie of EAH who are beloved by all and don't have to work for all the adulation that they get. So yes, they are extremely shallow. But does being shallow and not wanting to change the status quo make them the bad guys? We'll just have to wait and see. The ongoing soap opera style plot is certainly a break from what Mattel normally does with their animation.

I would've liked it better if Mattel had gone with traditional animation, but I can't remember if they've ever done that since the awful Barbie & The Rockers/Sensations OVA.

Headmaster Grimm- is completely and totally Drosselmeyer from Princess Tutu and is already shaping up to be the series Big Bad.

As for the moral of the story; do they do what is safe and expected or rewrite their story? The status quo will probably prevail only because why would anybody care about these characters if their parents hadn't already gone through all these trials before?

May those who accept their fate be granted: Happiness!
    May those who defy it: Glory!

Kuromi_Star is offline Neko mimi mode
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a little annoyed that they needed to add a pretty princess companion to Monster High. Madeline Hatter looks fun, but that's her job isn't it? Beyond that, as these aren't monsters Mattel is probably going to get a little heat for the lack of diversity here, and you know for being shallow "SHOES, PRINCES, ME ME ME" stereotypes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good Luck Finding Minori-teens In European Based Fairy Tales

Quote Originally Posted by Kuromi_Star View Post
    I'm a little annoyed that they needed to add a pretty princess companion to Monster High. Madeline Hatter looks fun, but that's her job isn't it? Beyond that, as these aren't monsters Mattel is probably going to get a little heat for the lack of diversity here, and you know for being shallow "SHOES, PRINCES, ME ME ME" stereotypes.
    Cedar Woods is Pinochicco's daughter- she's clearly made of Mahogany

Briar Beauty comes off as ambiguously brown when compared to Apple & Raven who are both pale as ghosts.

I'm a little surprised they just didn't try to make Cherise Hood (daughter of Little Red or the Big Bad Wolf) a relative of Clawdeen's. That would've been an easy in for crossovers and to get a minority as one of the leads. I can't be too mad at Mattel at least in MH they had The Wolf Pack with Clawdeen, Clawd, and Howleen, and Middle Eastern sisters Cleo & Nefera De Nile.

Ashlynn Ella is the biggest offender for being shallow with the shoe obsession. Ha, Ha, Ha isn't that hysterical? Cinderella's daughter has a shoe fetish .

I don't know how Blondi-locks scammed her way into the royal side. Seeing as how her mom's a no good trespasser........ Oh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stark Raven Glad, To Have A New Webisode!

We got a new episode of Ever After High. Headmaster Grimm wants to have an "intervention" for Raven and get her back on the "wrong" track. As in back to being "evil", in attendance are Maddie Hatter (who's on Raven's side), Apple, Briar Beauty (why?), and Lizzie Hearts (appropriately evil). Kitty Chesire also makes her first speaking appearance in the Pied Piper's Music Class. She is also not a Rebel. Russian fairy tale witch Baba Yaga is apparently the "Evil" counselor who doesn't seem to want to go along with Grimm's plan but has no choice.

Ever After High

Raven already seems to be able to use her magic more than say anybody in Monster High. One of my complaints about MH was that the Monsters hardly ever did anything with their special abilities, maybe at the end of one of their CGI movies. Or maybe Frankie shorted something out. But nothing else.

This is another thing that bothers me about MH & EAH is that we don't EVER see any parents! I'd like to know how the original fairy tale characters felt about their kids having no choice but to carry on their legacy- did they like it? Or were they filled with resentment? Of course you can't have Dracula, Frankenstein, the Evil Queen, etc running around in the show, because it's like having the adult heroes in Young Justice- it'll become all about them. Who wants to see Frankie Stein (Teen Titans) when you can have Frankenstein (Batman)?

And I continue to be disappointed that a fairy tale cartoon can't get on TV in today's market. How come Superbook is on Saturdays at 7:30PM on CBS, but MH/EAH/Barbie Life In The Dream House is internet only? Seriously, CBS only shows reruns in the mornings. ABC and Fox have NO animated programs. You're telling me the CW/4Kids/Whatever it's called today couldn't run this?

kendall112 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually like this better than Monster High. I can't wait for the books to start being released.

Silverstar is offline Comfortably Dumb
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just a few questions:

Why is the Cheshire Cat's daughter a human? And why is Cherise Hood half-wolf? The human/animal hybrids on this show are somewhat eyebrow raising.

If Apple White is the daughter of Snow White and Raven Queen is the daughter of the Wicked Queen, then shouldn't they be related? The Wicked Queen is Snow White's stepmother, so shouldn't Raven and Apple be 2nd cousins or something?

Why do the girls have to basically relive their parents' respective stories? If their folks are already married with children, then their fairy tales have already happened, so why do the kids have to live out those stories too? Is it a destiny kind of thing, is there a mystical reason behind it, or is it just a ceremonial thing that they're expected to perform, like Civil War re-enactments?

I do like how Raven Queen isn't evil, nor does she aspire to be. That's a nice touch. It would've been too, too easy to just make Raven the main antagonist of the show.

Pity all of the boy characters have to be assembly line Prince Charmings. Offspring of characters like Merlin or Robin Hood or Peter Pan or even a Dwarf or 2 might've been cool to see. Heck, even daughters of those characters could be cool.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So Much (Family Friendly) Beastility

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstar View Post
    Just a few questions:

Why is the Cheshire Cat's daughter a human? And why is Cherise Hood half-wolf? The human/animal hybrids on this show are somewhat eyebrow raising.
    Any questions you have should be answered with "Because it's a fashion doll line". Are they all shape shifters or did little Red really get down with the tyranny wolf dressed like her grandmother?

Either way, I'd like to see Kitty Cheshire pull a full on Aisha Clan Clan

If Apple White is the daughter of Snow White and Raven Queen is the daughter of the Wicked Queen, then shouldn't they be related? The Wicked Queen is Snow White's stepmother, so shouldn't Raven and Apple be 2nd cousins or something?
    The evil queen didn't have a daughter in the original Snow White. So Raven is a new character. Yes, she should be Apple's step sister, but that will probably be hand waved away. After all, if they were already used to living together, why should it be a big deal for them to be roomies at EAH? Of course if you tried to make a family tree of the Queens and the Whites-Charmings- it probably would just go straight up without any branches.

Why do the girls have to basically relive their parents' respective stories? If their folks are already married with children, then their fairy tales have already happened, so why do the kids have to live out those stories too? Is it a destiny kind of thing, is there a mystical reason behind it, or is it just a ceremonial thing that they're expected to perform, like Civil War re-enactments?
    I would like it better if they had to update/reimagine their stories for new generations to keep it fresh. They follow the basic story structure but then are allowed their own personal touches. But I doubt Headmaster Grimm would allow such things.

I do like how Raven Queen isn't evil, nor does she aspire to be. That's a nice touch. It would've been too, too easy to just make Raven the main antagonist of the show.

Pity all of the boy characters have to be assembly line Prince Charmings. Offspring of characters like Merlin or Robin Hood or Peter Pan or even a Dwarf or 2 might've been cool to see. Heck, even daughters of those characters could be cool.
    Robin Hood could actually be a female without any name change necessary. But that would make Maid Marion a guy..............., it could work, John Wayne's really name was Marion. Of course Robin Hood is an "action" figure, not who you think of when you think of a fashion doll line. She could make a fun background character, but if Mattel ever made a doll of her she'd have a ball gown and no arrows.

But Peter Pan is not part of the public domain so don't expect to see him or Tinkerbell. Plus Peter Pan is not supposed to grow up so he wouldn't need to have kids to pass down his title. Return To Neverland already trode that ground very well.

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverstar View Post
    If Apple White is the daughter of Snow White and Raven Queen is the daughter of the Wicked Queen, then shouldn't they be related? The Wicked Queen is Snow White's stepmother, so shouldn't Raven and Apple be 2nd cousins or something?.
    Yes they would be related. Raven Queen would be Apple White's step-aunt (and Snow White's step-sister).
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors
    Want to read some movie reviews? Check out the blog
    http://animatedmoviegoddess.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast