Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Classic guy is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When your favorite Cartoons jump the shark

Like This Thread!

I made a thread for when catoons jump the shark.

For me the Simpsons jump the shark around seasons 9 or 10,the show was running out of ideas during the that time period and Homer's simpsons character was change to him being a total mean jerkass.The Simpsons were the best tv show in the 90s, seasons 1 through 8 was the best year's of the Simpsons.
    Last edited by Classic guy; 05-04-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Napoleon Solo is offline Gatchaman G-6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I always thought the barometer for when toons jump the shark is when they turn the characters into kids.

DuckTwacy is offline French phone.
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo View Post
    I always thought the barometer for when toons jump the shark is when they turn the characters into kids.
    Either that or any time they're put IN SPACE.
    *insert another Great Piggy Bank Robbery reference here*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think one show that's gone beyond jumping the shark is sponge bob. Not only did it jump it tough, it flipped it off and mooned it in the process.

The show was notably getting worst after hillenburg left being producer, ideas got worst, many other shows hit destroyed just to advertise it, inappropriate and boring humor.

They need to be rid of the show now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    to
    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo View Post
    Jump the shark is a term used when a show goes bad and is no longer original like it used to be.Are when a show is past it's prime.

The Smurfs jump the shark in season 5 when they de-age the original adult Smurfs characters into Smurflings. It would have been more better if they have had Gargamel trying to clone Natural Smurf,Slouchy Smurf,Snappy Smurf, creating the Smurflings that way instead of having Nat ,Slouchy,and Snappy go back to childhood again ruining the shows original Smurfs incarnation and destroying one of the coolest 80s cartoons of all time. Also after the start of the 1986-1987 seasons with the coming of Grandpa Smurf,Wild Smurf and Scruple living with Gargamel as his apprentice ,you can tell that the show was running out of steam by this point which was a warning sign the end was near. With the 1988-1989 seasons coming out and Nanny Smurf just getting added to the show ,it became a more worser show then ever before, also were did Nanny Smurf come from anyways.. The season 9 time travel episodes i heard about didn't make the show anybetter.
    Last edited by Classic guy; 05-07-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Mr Flintstone is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One of my favorite toons, The Flintstones is said to had jumped the shark when The Great Gazoo appeared. I disagree, but I see where those people are coming from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Flintstone View Post
    One of my favorite toons, The Flintstones is said to had jumped the shark when The Great Gazoo appeared. I disagree, but I see where those people are coming from.
    I think the Flintstones jump the shark when Pebbles and BamBam were added to the show,because the show became more kid like then a sitcom tv series and Gazoo made the show worser.

Mr Flintstone is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic guy View Post
    I think the Flintstones jump the shark when Pebbles and BamBam were added to the show,because the show became more kid like then a sitcom tv series and Gazoo made the show worser.
    You're probably right, but the show was still good after Pebbles and Bamm Bamm came.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Flintstone View Post
    You're probably right, but the show was still good after Pebbles and Bamm Bamm came.
    The show did have some good episodes even if the show wasn't that great after Pebbles and BamBam were added to the show.

I know already talk about Cartoons shows jumping the shark in my posts up above.I did added the Simpsons and the Smurfs as being the shows that jump the shark,but there are more that i have yet to talk about in this thread.

magicdog is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think the Flintstones jump the shark when Pebbles and BamBam were added to the show,because the show became more kid like then a sitcom tv series and Gazoo made the show [worse].
    I thought the Flintstones & Rubbles having children was a natural progression. I do agree things became more "kiddie-fied" after their arrival over time but I think that was in part due to the series no longer being sponsored by Winston Cigarettes.

Gazoo I could take or leave.

I think Scooby Doo JTS with Scrappy Doo's arrival (I know, too easy), but then again I wasn't fond of the season before that (the episodes that were part of "The New Scooby Doo Show" circa 1977-78). By then, even a kid could tell the old mystery format was getting stale.

I definitely didn't like any other TV incarnation up until SDMI came along, but that could be defined as personal preference.

Martin Juneau is offline Cartoon/comic-artist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's already a discussion about this, so no needs to create a new thread: http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showt...mped-The-Shark
    I like any kinds of arts forms who exist, but the ones who catch my attention is the ones i mostly care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Juneau View Post
    There's already a discussion about this, so no needs to create a new thread: http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showt...mped-The-Shark
    That thread is old unless you forgotten about that and it is closed.That is the reason why this thread was made entirely new.

Martin Juneau is offline Cartoon/comic-artist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That thread is old unless you forgotten about that and it is closed.That is the reason why this thread was made entirely new.
    Well, tough the older thread was closed, i don't need to say what i didn't say years ago.

The Smurfs jump the shark in season 5 when they de-age the original adult Smurfs characters into Smurflings. It would have been more better if they have had Gargamel trying to clone Natural Smurf,Slouchy Smurf,Snappy Smurf, creating the Smurflings that way instead of having Nat ,Slouchy,and Snappy go back to childhood again ruining the shows original Smurfs incarnation and destroying one of the coolest 80s cartoons of all time. Also after the start of the 1986-1987 seasons with the coming of Grandpa Smurf,Wild Smurf and Scruple living with Gargamel as his apprentice ,you can tell that the show was running out of steam by this point which was a warning sign the end was near. With the 1988-1989 seasons coming out and Nanny Smurf just getting added to the show ,it became a more worser show then ever before, also were did Nanny Smurf come from anyways.. The season 9 time travel episodes i heard about didn't make the show anybetter.
    That's not the exact argument why Smurfs' have jumped the shark so quickly. For those who actually read the original graphics novels series, original stories like Soup a La Smurf nearly killed the Smurfs' characters also as the figurines import from the US. But we have to admit that made this blue characters in their own spin-off (It was originally secondary protagonists in the Johan and Pewitt serials) was a mistake but the Peyo's blue gnomes really increase the Johan & Pewitt's popularity by the Spirou's journal. While J&P faded in obscurity later, they have the merits to stay a cult and appealings comics series which the stories don't trying to be boring or preachiest as the equivalent of the spin-off are. With reasons, Johan and Pewitt stays Peyo's favorite conception at his own and should have one day their own animated series, mostly in the age when modern animation offers genuine action shows with much depths characters plots and personalities. They need that more than the Smurfs.
    I like any kinds of arts forms who exist, but the ones who catch my attention is the ones i mostly care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Juneau View Post
    Well, tough the older thread was closed, i don't need to say what i didn't say years ago.

That's not the exact argument why Smurfs' have jumped the shark so quickly. For those who actually read the original graphics novels series, original stories like Soup a La Smurf nearly killed the Smurfs' characters also as the figurines import from the US. But we have to admit that made this blue characters in their own spin-off (It was originally secondary protagonists in the Johan and Pewitt serials) was a mistake but the Peyo's blue gnomes really increase the Johan & Pewitt's popularity by the Spirou's journal. While J&P faded in obscurity later, they have the merits to stay a cult and appealings comics series which the stories don't trying to be boring or preachiest as the equivalent of the spin-off are. With reasons, Johan and Pewitt stays Peyo's favorite conception at his own and should have one day their own animated series, mostly in the age when modern animation offers genuine action shows with much depths characters plots and personalities. They need that more than the Smurfs.
    This is a tough argument because as i recall the Smurfs jump the shark in their 5th season
    due to the change they made in that season like de-aging the original adult Smurfs characters was a warning sign the end was near for the show. By the time the 1986-1987 seasons started you can tell the Smurfs were running out of steam real fast. Those time traveling seasons most fans speak of only made the show worser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Johnny Bravo to me jump the shark in season 2 because the original art style which was the best in season 1 was now gone, it didn't make things anybetter with Carl and Pops being added to the show aswell as so many other new characters. Atleast Johnny Bravo did jump back during season 4, because the original style was brought back.

hobbyfan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What defines "jumping the shark" in cartoons? Hmmmmm.

"Kiddifiying" classic characters doesn't count, IMPO. "Jumping the shark" means an existing series has reached a point where it's not quite as good as it used to be.

People can argue about Flintstones, for example, but as magicdog noted, it was a natural progression when Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm came along. Gazoo? Meh. He only appeared in a small handful of episodes, anyway.

The earliest cases of "jumping the shark", IMPO, came before the term was coined. In 1973, Goober & the Ghost Chasers, during its lone season, added three of the Partridge Family kids in mid-stream. All that did was ensure that while the series would no longer be H-B property. Sony owns the rights and has for nearly 40 years. That same year, the Brady Kids saw half the regulars leave, and producer Lou Scheimer had to summon his kids to fill the voids.

Later series like Flintstone Kids were attempts to copy the success of Jim Henson's Muppet Babies, with varying degrees of success, not always good.

Nickle98499 is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbyfan

"Kiddifiying" classic characters doesn't count, IMPO. "Jumping the shark" means an existing series has reached a point where it's not quite as good as it used to be.

People can argue about Flintstones, for example, but as magicdog noted, it was a natural progression when Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm came along. Gazoo? Meh. He only appeared in a small handful of episodes, anyway.

The earliest cases of "jumping the shark", IMPO, came before the term was coined. In 1973, Goober & the Ghost Chasers, during its lone season, added three of the Partridge Family kids in mid-stream. All that did was ensure that while the series would no longer be H-B property. Sony owns the rights and has for nearly 40 years. That same year, the Brady Kids saw half the regulars leave, and producer Lou Scheimer had to summon his kids to fill the voids.

Later series like Flintstone Kids were attempts to copy the success of Jim Henson's Muppet Babies, with varying degrees of success, not always good.
    The part about goober and the ghost chasers is interesting because not only was it on boomerang last year, but its also on DVD.

So I guess even though Sony has the rights to the show, they had no problem airing it on boomerang or putting it out on DVD.
    I have a fan fiction.net account too it's at:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/~scoobyfan1

I also have an account at fanfic.me, it's http://fanfic.me/author-profile/?user=3757. Or Mysteryfan1984, if you prefer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbyfan View Post

I'm pretty sure turning classic characters into kids does count as an tv show jumping the shark".

The Smurfs did jump the shark in season 5 when they turn Natural Smurf, Snappy Smurf, Slouchy Smurf into Smurflings. The season 9 time traveling episodes just made the show jump the shark in the worst way possible.

hobbyfan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Smurfs did jump the shark in season 5 when they turn Natural Smurf, Snappy Smurf, Slouchy Smurf into Smurflings. The season 9 time traveling episodes just made the show jump the shark in the worst way possible.
    Uh, no. That was an adaptation of a story Peyo had already written. You might want to check the Smurfs' Wikipedia page, even though it may not be 100% accurate. It then can be said that the addition of Baby Smurf might also be a natural progression, since many of the episodes were, in fact, adaptations.

Debbie is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think The Flintstones jumped when they just kept making more and more Saturday Morning spin-offs. The Flintstones original run (even with The Great Gazoo) is consistently worth re-watching, as was (IMHO) the first spin-off, The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show. The following year's Flintstone Comedy Hour really started the big drop in quality for future Flintstone shows.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast