View Poll Results: Danny Phantom, American Dragon: Jake Long or The Life and Times of Juniper Lee?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Danny Phantom

4 22.22%
  • American Dragon: Jake Long

7 38.89%
  • The Life and Times of Juniper Lee

5 27.78%
  • All of them

1 5.56%
  • None of the above

1 5.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Srebak is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Danny Phantom, American Dragon: Jake Long or The Life and Times of Juniper Lee?

Like This Thread!
    Yes, I know, we've been over this before, but i still feel the need to go over it one last time.

Which of these shows was better and why? Danny Phantom, American Dragon: Jake Long or The Life and Times of Juniper Lee?

And when i ask why, i mean what did one show do that the others didn't? For example: people think Young Justice is better that Teen Titans because its more serious tones and characters.

So, like i said, what did one show do that the others didn't or didn't do as well?

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    These series still feel too different to really compare and contrast, but I'll just go ahead and describe what I liked about each series.

Out of these three, I'd probably go with American Dragon as my favorite. I liked the idea of dragons being able to have a human form. Not really a new idea by any means, but it was kind of cool all the same. Though, I think that I liked this show the most out of the three mainly for the second season. The first season was okay, although Jake was speaking in slang talk way too much and most of the episodes that weren't connected to the Huntsclan/Rose plot were kind of dull from what I remember. The second season brought better character designs for most of the main cast, the episodes were much more interesting, the development for the Jake/Rose romance was pretty nice and I think that the Homecoming episode was the only time I cried while watching a Disney Channel Original Series.

I still wish that the show got a third season, or at the very least a longer finale since the ending for the series, while still pretty good, was seriously rushed. I also remember liking Jake's friends. They were kind of fun and I liked that they were actually helpful, instead of going through the usual keeping the magical world secret from non-magical beings. I think that I would have had Jake's Dad learn about the Magical World either after he stood up to those vampires or after Jake went back in time and his father helped him out. I think it would have meant more in either case than in the finale since that was where his Dad was at his best for me.

Danny Phantom would be second for me. I thought it was a fun show with fairly likable characters and a nice premise. I never thought it was too funny and inconsistencies in the characterization in later seasons was kind of annoying. The special episodes were usually pretty good and I thought that the finale was pretty satisfying, except for Tucker being the mayor for some odd reason.

The Life and Times of Juniper Lee would be my least favorite out of the three. I could never really get into the series. It had a nice premise, but I couldn't get attached to the character. Juniper's little brother was kind of annoying and I didn't really like that she couldn't tell her friends about her role protecting the magical world or even leave her city. That just seemed a bit too much. Plus, I didn't like that the characters looked and acted older than elementary school students. For some reason, that tends to annoy me with some shows.

Avengers is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Watched Danny Phantom a lot as a kid and never really got into any of the others so I guess that's my vote (In reality though I remember very little from all three).

Soui is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know we're not required to comment on all three shows mentioned, but since I've at least watched an episode or two of each, I'll give it a shot.

Anyway, as for my first choice?

Danny Phantom, hands down, bar none. I love everything about the show — despite it's flaws that I've been vocal about in the past. I mean, I can start watching an episode out of nostalgia or because I remembered something in it and wanted to double-check. And then suddenly I've rewatched the whole first season. It's that good. It draws you in with awesomely-acted dialogue and setups, and — again, despite some Depending on the Writer flaws — most of the characters, the main cast, anyhow, are incredibly well-rounded and likable. It's actually fairly mature in some instances, especially compared to its more-comedic-rooted fellow Hartman shows. Not to say that it doesn't have Crowning Moments of Funny. Again, made all the better by the voice actors; Rob Paulsen as Jack comes to mind. I could break the character limit praising this show, so I'll just end by saying: overall, great show. Worth a watch, even if you don't particularly like [insert element/character/episode premise here].

I guess I'd have to pick American Dragon second, only because I've watched it more than Juniper Lee. Not to leech too much off of Light Lucario, but I also like the whole dragon-transformation aspect. Specifically, "
    dragons being able to have a human form" puts me in mind of the anime Inuyasha — as does the whole magical-creatures-among-humans thing. That's a bit moot in regards to this discussion, but still, it was a pro for me. This one was also well-acted; Dante Basco puts as much heart into Jake as he does Prince Zuko from Avatar: Last Airbender. The other characters are well-done and likable, too.

Life and Times ranks third, if disqualified since I definitely didn't watch nearly as much of it as American Dragon, let alone Danny Phantom. It has a similarly interesting premise as American Dragon, buuut...I don't know, just didn't reel me in as much. No particular reason, just...didn't. I don't not like it, don't get me wrong, but...all-in-all, I'd say it's kind of "meh".

Lonestarr is offline Stop eating my sesame cake!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Stepping on some toes here, but...

- Given that it was written and directed by "Fillmore!" veterans, I should've loved "American Dragon: Jake Long". Alas, I just couldn't. I couldn't abide Jake's slang/unlikability. I couldn't abide the dull plots. I...I just couldn't. (Things picked up a bit in season two, but still not my cup of tea.)

- It is my strong belief that "Danny Phantom" could've been every bit the masterpiece its die-hard fans paint it to be if someone else were in charge of it. Interesting premise, interesting characters, strong design work and voice acting all had the legs cut out from under them by constant cheesy jokes. Imagine what a Paul Dini or Dwayne McDuffie could've done with this. Speaking of McDuffie, this is a good way to think of the show: "Static Shock" re-configured by the makers of "The Fairly OddParents".

- I was an on-and-off viewer of "The Life and Times of Juniper Lee", but I do remember liking the show, more than the other two, in any event. Good designs, strong sense of humor, fine voice work (special kudos to Lara Jill Miller and Carlos Alazraqui).
    I feel that a big problem with today's society is that we don't listen to our fellow man -- especially when I'm talking.
    "Never be afraid to borrow from those wiser than yourself." - Mr. Jimmy (voice of David Arquette) on "Pelswick"
    "What do I care what some yahoo like Lonestarr posts on the internet?" - President Skroob (voice of Mel Brooks) on "Spaceballs: the Series"
    Links in a chain: DeviantArt | Fanfiction.net | Mr. Cellophane

King_of_doom is offline kiva fan
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestarr View Post
    . Imagine what a Paul Dini or Dwayne McDuffie could've done with this. Speaking of McDuffie, this is a good way to think of the show: "Static Shock" re-configured by the makers of "The Fairly OddParents".
    After watching what Dwayne McDuffie did on the Ben 10 sequels i don't think i would liked him being involved on DP, i'm sorry but he had done better to come up with something so poorly like Alien Force and Ultimate Alien.
    You'll never get credit for my discovery,Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow*Herbert West*

Deadpool: They replace Megas XLR for this!? Man where’s the world coming to

Lonestarr is offline Stop eating my sesame cake!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King_of_doom View Post
    After watching what Dwayne McDuffie did on the Ben 10 sequels i don't think i would liked him being involved on DP, i'm sorry but he had done better to come up with something so poorly like Alien Force and Ultimate Alien.
    Whatever you think of "Alien Force" and "Ultimate Alien", you have to admit that the character-based humor kicks the crap out of the sacrificing character believability for the sake of a joke nonsense that the "Danny Phantom" writers frequently trafficked in.
    I feel that a big problem with today's society is that we don't listen to our fellow man -- especially when I'm talking.
    "Never be afraid to borrow from those wiser than yourself." - Mr. Jimmy (voice of David Arquette) on "Pelswick"
    "What do I care what some yahoo like Lonestarr posts on the internet?" - President Skroob (voice of Mel Brooks) on "Spaceballs: the Series"
    Links in a chain: DeviantArt | Fanfiction.net | Mr. Cellophane

Bubblegum Girl is offline Magic User Wannabe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here I ranked these three shows.

1) The Life & Times of Juniper Lee - I really like this show because it has an unique charm and I like the design of the show. I don't understand why most people dislike this show because it was similar to Jake Long.

2) Danny Phantom - Danny Phantom was a good show up until season 3 where I thought the show went downhill.

3) American Dragon: Jake Long - Jake Long was an ok show but I just didn't like how Jake Long was talking like a wannabe rapper.

FFmax is offline Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is my stance on these three shows:

American Dragon Jake Long: This is my definite favorite out of the trio, and the only problem I had with this show was the redesign of Jake's dragon form, everyone else looks okay, but I thought his form in the first season looked cooler, but the better writing and fight scenes in the second season helped me get over the sudden art shift.

Danny Phantom:
    This comes a close second and is still one of my favorite shows, but it has a lot of problems and the 3rd season is the biggest offender. There was barely any character development, lots of one shot villains, and some characters we badly wanted to see return only got a little screen-time.

The Life and Times of Juniper Lee:
    I barely remember this show, but from what I do remember it was essentially American Dragon, but without the dragons and not nearly as cool, plus Juniper's little brother annoyed the hell out of me.
    Fan of jrpgs, anime, and cartoons.

magicdog is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Danny Phantom would be my favorite of the three. This show could be rebooted in all sorts of ways. It could be a more serious show (my personal preference) in either an animated form, a comic book, or even live action.

One of the things that impressed me was character progression. I loved that Danny's sister Jazz didn't remain the "mean older sister" stereotype - she actually was shown to have had Danny's best interests in mind and even waited before letting Danny know she knew his secret.

I definitely agree that the third season was the weakest (largely due to the departure of Steve Marmel) and the finale IMO was inconsistent and unsatisfying for me. It didn't help that storylines were dropped (we never knew what that deal between Vlad & Fright Knight was) and Danny made a bit of a character regression after having grown up a bit in Season 2.

American Dragon: Not a bad show, but it could have been better. Jake & Trixie's jive talk grated on me and the writers apparently forgot about Rose's twin sister (during an ep we get a flashback to her birth when the Huntsclan kidnapped her, but you still see her sister in her mother's arms). I also wasn't pleased with Jake's dragon form in season 2.

Juniper Lee: I always got an "Asian Buffy" vibe from her. Again, not a bad show, but there were still some missed opportunities. I didn't get into it as much as other shows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast