Quantcast
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Juu-kuchi is offline Everypony's Starry-Eyed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    I've rewatched bits and pieces of the finale and more than ever the set-up was better than the payoff. I just noticed how during the changeling fight scene, Rarity was the only one who wasn't even given a small segment where she is shown fighting her clones. No trepidation of getting her hooves dirty and not even a callback of her saying "OH IT. IS. ON!" Just one PPG-esque cutaway of her slugging a changeling. Maybe a director's cut of the Royal Wedding for this then? Who knows.

Maybe this should've been a 90 minute finale instead of a 60 minute one. Heck it feels like since one of the very prominent complaints throughout the series was how episodes are rushed, we might as well make FiM into hour-long episodes. But an hour-long "Dragon Quest"? ...*shudders*

Bakertoons is offline Don't break a Pinkie Promise.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I see alot of talk from people saying that FIM should be longer because the pacing feels rushed.

Maybe they need to do a better job at pacing and knowing when to "trim fat", perhaps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SigmasonicX is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Extended version of "Love is in Bloom" out!

STILL NOT LONG ENOUGH

Also, it seems that the piano section before the vocal section is part of the actual song. That just makes the song even better.
    Reality is only for those who can't handle Star Trek.

r0derix is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A little late to the party, but I thought "This Day (aria)" was the best song since "Winter Wrap-Up." Loved that song. Thought the episode as a whole was great too.

Vegard Aune is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Huh, guess I'm one of the very few who didn't like that song all that much. Mainly because it was just so painfully unsubtle. To quote someone from a different forum...
    The tune to this day is really good, but the lyrics really bug me.

I could care less about the dress
    I won't partake in any cake
    Vows, well I will be lying when I say
    That through any kind of weather
    I'll want us to be together
    The truth is I don't care for him at all

Those aren't lyrics, they're narration. And obtuse narration at that.
    Oh sure, it's still good aside from that, but yeah, that particular verse is just...
    I don't think it's necessarily the worst song, but it's far from my favourite either. Even in the second season alone, I think that Smile, May the Best Pet Win, Love is in Bloom and the Flim Flam brothers' song (in that order) are far superior.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I listened to "BBBFF" I also felt a small twinge of uncertainty about the song quality that kinda felt the same way as yours I believe. The tune was great but the lyrics were... eh. It actually felt kindof insulting and lame in a way, since here is apparently a perfect sibling relationship in a world that wasn't afraid to show siblings get in conflict with each other. (I'm looking at you AJ/AB, Rarity/SB).

No matter how good this was, some part of me believes that the Royal Canterlot Wedding is an anomaly that should never be mentioned again because of things like above.

SigmasonicX is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Toon Zone review of the DVD set containing this episode is up.

I must comment that the review is really awkwardly written. It's very self-deprecating, and describes the episodes in negative ways, but then suddenly shifts gears at various points and recommends the show to everyone only to shift back. I could understand if this was due to the reviewer not having seen the show before and grudgingly admitting he liked it, but he specifically states that he was already a brony at the beginning of the review. The goal appears to have been to get people to watch the show who aren't already, and I don't think it did that at all, in particular due to very little description of the show itself, not even to describe the basic premise.
    Reality is only for those who can't handle Star Trek.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The season 2 finale is great but there's a small problem, The plot is been done before
    see the PPG episode "Mommy Fearest" for proof

Nel_Annette is offline Go green!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    But... pretty much every plot in this show has been done by another show. Doesn't make it any less entertaining. It's fun to see their own little takes on things.