Quantcast
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Dr. Daedalus is online now Souter made us do it!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Warner
    My main gripe with "My Sister, My Sitter" is that it doesn't have enough jokes. Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein occasionally backed themselves into this trap in Season 8, where they were so focused and intent on making the Simpsons feel like real living people with genuine emotions and problems that they forgot to make them funny. The third act of the show is almost entirely devoid of laughs, and those that are there are just throwaway jokes unrelated to the main plot ("Oh, loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix", "It's a Yard King! Man, that's a quality barrow!", etc.) Lisa babysitting Bart has the potential to be a great plot, but Oakley and Weinstein played it way too seriously.
    I suppose I can see your point that O&W could sometimes get pretty serious, but I think the last act of "Sitter" has more jokes than you're giving it credit for:
    -Homer stuck in the fountain, whimpering
    -The woman on the other end of the line saying she won't come to the Simpsons house because they've already been there for sisterectomy, a severe case of butt rot and a leprechaun bite.
    -Smithers refusing to allow Lisa to go ahead of him because of... well... heh...
    -Wiggum forgetting which is the correct way to be a pedestrian: Walking with traffic, or against traffic
    -"I officially declare this... WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!"
    -"AND SHE'S ON DRUGS!!!"
    -"My diagnosis: A rather nasty fall... CAUSED BY BAD BABYSITTING!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jave View Post
    You know, I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Four Great Women and a Manicure" yet. I just checked the talkback and all the comments range from "meh" to "worst ever".

Not that I believe it belongs here since I actually thought it was OK. I'm just surprised given the huge amount of hate that one got.
    I don't think I've ever seen that episode, so I can't comment.

LordTerminal is offline The old-school DK is back!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CartoonFridays View Post

Marge vs. SSCCTG-Again took satire too far and too cruel for mainstream Simpsons humor.
    That's one of my personal three most hated. The attitude Lindsay Nagle and her so-called "group" showed in that episode makes me think that violence might actually be the only way to solve some problems.

The other two would be the following:

Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass: All I really need to say about my problems with the recent seasons can pretty much be summed up by pointing at Homer's victory dance in that episode and saying "pretty much that". Seriously, people actually wrote that thinking it was funny AND were paid to do so. This was an episode that made me give up The Simpsons for a while. Well outside of Treehouse of Horror episodes, and even those lost their appeal over time. Speaking of which....

Treehouse of Horror XXII: I'm sorry, I thought this was a Halloween special, I should expect to see as much. If I wanted to see badly done parodies of movies or skits w/ nothing but fart jokes, I'd watch a Seltzer and Friedberg movie. You'd think the Simpsons, even in it's terrible days would do better but this was a new low IMO.
    If anyone comes up and asks "Are you a spy?" just say "Yes! Can't you read? But I'm undercover!" - Don Patch

He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life. - Homer Simpson

copper20 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't seen many of them, but the only I didn't like was:

Itchy and Scratchy: The Movie- I didn't like the scene where Marge sent Bart upstairs without dinner. I thought that was a little cruel. Plus Bart trying to pounce Santa's Little Helper was too upsetting for me. Seriously, The Simpsons is supposed to be funny. Why make episodes that make people sad?

Dr. Daedalus is online now Souter made us do it!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by copper20 View Post
    I haven't seen many of them, but the only I didn't like was:

Itchy and Scratchy: The Movie- I didn't like the scene where Marge sent Bart upstairs without dinner. I thought that was a little cruel.
    It was a punishment. It was designed to make Bart straighten up and fly right. There are far worse things Marge could've done to him. Heck, that was nothing compared to repeatedly being strangled by Homer. Now THAT'S cruel.

Jave is offline Beware of the SPLAT
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Daedalus View Post
    It was a punishment. It was designed to make Bart straighten up and fly right. There are far worse things Marge could've done to him. Heck, that was nothing compared to repeatedly being strangled by Homer. Now THAT'S cruel.
    Not to mention, he was punished for destroying Grandpa's dentures. Considering how much those things cost, I say Bart got off easy, even without Homer bringing him pizza afterwards.
    Jave's Support Gallery - My Tumblr Blog detailing my current run of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

What a Cartoon Review Blog - My own project where the goal is to write a detailed review to the original 48 WAC shorts.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234