Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Zorak Masaki is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

The Greatest Story ever D'ohed. Worst episode EVER, even some of the other episodes mentioned in this thread have a few good jokes, this had none.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Politically Inept with Homer Simpson
    Elementary School Musical

Both these had absolutely nothing funny or redeeming in them what so ever.
    Just plain terrible.

CartoonFridays is offline Promoted to detective.
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Daedalus View Post
    Boys of Bummer is just OK. It's not one of the all-time greats, but it's an amusing satire on how fans get carried away by sports, even if it's unfortunate what happened to Bart because of it. But I get a few laughs from the episode, and it was nice to have a Reverend Lovejoy subplot. Haven't had one of those in a while.
    Why amusing? The satire was exaggerated to the point where it made us cringe rather than laugh.

These are my few laughs:
    - The Homer/Lovejoy subplot (too bad Bart stole the show)
    - Nelson pitching the ball by punching it
    - "Google my stats"
    - Moe streaking on the field
    Young lady, I'm an expert on humans!

Neo Ultra Mike is offline 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hmmm this is a good idea because there's a difference between simply listing your least favorite episodes, and actually talking some about them. So allow me to do that here as I list off my least favorite of every season.

1. "The Call Of The Simpsons" - Though a lot of the first season wasn't really exactly mature or sophisticated and had a lot of "kid show" plots but with a few more cruder jokes and swear words mixed in, but there were usually some fairly decent clever twists on the material. Like "Bart The General" mocking war films, or "The Crepes Of Wrath" dealing with tensions between countries and the like. Plus at least those episodes had solid, enjoyable endings even if there was a lot of meanspiritness towards the characters. This one didn't though. At least "Some Enchanted Evening" had a good deal of focus of Marge and Homer enjoying their little date while this just had a bunch of stupid scenes in the woods. And in typical stupid cliche fashion the women were fine while the guys were having all the problems, including Homer being mistaken for the missing link. Which is something a later episode tried doing too and sadly the joke was better there then it was here as too much time was spent on that. As well as the family even getting to the woods or that overly boring and cute Maggie and the bears subplot. Even the commentary for this episode admits it's failing as it seems not even Albert Brooks was really having fun in his first Simpsons episode. Thankfully he'd return for a lot better shows but yeah this one wasn't really that good.

2. "The War Of The Simpsons" - What could be worse then the Simpsons family in the woods? Dealing with a full episode of Marge and Homer's martial troubles. Thinking about it though I disliked the episodes now that deal with it, a lot of the ones that even dealt with it in the classic years weren't that good truthfully. Whether it's Homer activley acting like a drunken jerk or trying to sneak away and go out and fish or Marge having to spend hours listing his complaints we only got a couple of small inklings of them really being a couple which IMHO doesn't really work. Espiecally when a lot of the material isn't very funny. I admit when I finally read The Old Man and the sea I appreciated the third act more but still seems like a pretty big diversion from the rest of the story. Also never cared for the "Bart takes advantage of Grandpa but Grandpa plays him at the end" subplot. Seems like it would be funny in realizing Grandpa was just making Bart feel bad but with how much of a nag Lisa was being and again not really too many funny jokes, didn't really work for me.

3. "Homer Alone" - Sometimes bad memories of your feelings towards the episode when you first saw it kind of trickle into your opinion of it even years after the fact. And though there are some good moments here and there (tension between Wiggum and Quimby I wish we actually saw more in the later episodes and wasn't dropped from the show, Marge getting to relax and the family all sleeping together in the bed at the end) I have a bad taste for the rest of the episode. Yeah I get the build up to Marge's insanity but it wasn't amusing, and I really hated the Bart and Lisa having to stay and Pattie And Selma since it just made the two characters look like old annoying witches and since I always enjoyed the kids more then the adult (well at least when I was a kid) hated seeing them suffer like that. As well as Homer having lost Maggie and her search for Marge around the city. Nothing really good came from that. I have a feeling I might appreciate this one more if I first saw it when I was in high school or beyond but still would be far from a favorite of mine. And still probably be the weakest of season 3.

4. Okay this is a hard one to choose from since this has a lot of great, good or at the very least enjoyable episodes in it. I will admit that CartoonFridays and Dantheman, parts of "Homer The Heretic" and "Itchy and Scratchy: The Movie" annoy me but at least those two were building towards something (though the whole "you should go to church or some place of worship every week" message of "Homer The Heretic" rings really false espically nowadays). Part of me wants to say "Kamp Krusty" for how Mr. Black and the three bullies making Lisa and Bart and the other kid's life miserable I never found funny but only sad but like I said I'm good with epsiodes where the cruelness has a point and the kids getting back at them and actually forcing Krusty to apologize was good (though in the commentary it says they wanted an ending where Krusty made it up to the kids but not really which I never really thought was good but glad that's not how it came across in the actual epsiode). And there was a lot to enjoy about that episode. Still I probably would go with "Kamp Krusty" since it left me with the most sour impression and also this episode was suppose to be the ORIGINAL Simpsons movie and yeah, so glad they went with what they did for the actual Simpsons movie instead.

5. Though I do enjoy some elements of this one, I have to say "The Last Temptation Of Homer". Homer and Mindy's chemistry makes sense and I like how it wasn't that she was just attractive but was also in a lot of ways like Homer. And that Homer would only consider cheating on Marge if say something as ridicolous as a fortune cookie told him too. I still find it annoying though how the writers had to state "Marge had every reason to think about an affair becuase Homer's a terrible husband in "Life On The Fast Lane" but Homer has to feel horrible for thinkign about being with another women since Marge is so much better then him." At the very least the later episodes did show more of Marge's flaws and showed she also didn't do everything perfectly in the relationship. But I could forgive that... if this didn't have that teeth grating subplot of Bart looking like a nerd, being beat up, looking normal again and still being beaten up. I hated it then, and I hate it now since yeah even if Bart pranked the school I was always more in favor of him then the other characters so didn't care to see him get tortured in such a way.

6. Probably a tie between "Bart's Girlfriend" and "Homer Vs Patty And Selma" due to the cruelness of those episodes. For "Bart's Girlfriend" it was Jessica leading Bart around the entire time, getting him in trouble and even still duping him at the very end of the show. Also never liked the scene with the parents forcing the kids into church as well as Bart having to force himself to be nice to be in Sunday School. Plus I always found it ridicolous whenever we had an actual character related to a springfieldian be voiced by a celebrity since you know they can never really be used too often or maybe even again. And it's espiecally ridicolous with someone like Reverend Lovejoy's daughter. Yeah she's in the background but that's all she'll ever be in which I don't know kind of honks me off. Also since I was never the biggest fans of Patty and Selma then having one up on Homer most of the episode and forcing him to do demaning things yet Homer still having to prove he's better then them by saving them at the end for Marge's sake always annoyed me as well as Bart being punished for being good at ballet by having to dive off a cliff. Again not a fan of those type of cruel moments and they add up for me even if the jokes of the epsiodes work.

7. "King Size Homer" - Again maybe an episode I would of liked more if I saw it later. Though probably not since most of this episode is just "homer instead of being fairly fat is now ridiciously fat" since he ways 300 even though he looks more like 550-600. So it's really a lot of just fat jokes. A couple of them work like eating the Play-dough, the classic bit about the any key and Burns paying for his liposuction surgery at the end, But a lot didn't, espiecally the very disturbing one about Bart imagining himself fat scrubbing himself with a rag. Ugh, that's more creepy then funny. So is Homer in that ridicolous Mumu. Again I know it's the joke it's suppose to look stupid but it's not one I care for.

8. I'm going to give a special mention for "Grade School Confidental" because though I enjoy most of that episode I LOATHE the scene of Bart having to be watched by Agnes and having to help her lick the pages of cakes she enjoys. I get that it is something an old lady might do but I just found it cruel and irritating, which is weird since Groening supposedly loves the scene. Then again maybe the writers enjoy stuff like that but I really don't. Still though at least the rest of that ep is pretty solid. Can't say the same for "The Homer They Fall". Really disliked the scene of the bullies beating up Bart to get his belt but for the most part the episode fell flat. I get that they were trying to build up a bit of Moe's backstory as well as his relationship with Homer and the actual threat of Dedirck Tatum fighting homer but I found a good deal of it fairly uninteresting or padding. Espiecally the pre fight build up for the big match at the end. I think more a "meh" episode then a really bad one but one I do have a serious meh for.

9. Probably a tie between "The Joy Of Sect" and "Lisa The Simpson". For "Joy Of Sect" it was the moveentarians which yeah I know are a religious parody but I really disliked how they were able to brainwash the entire town and turn them into slaves and how Marge's argument into winning back her family were with hover bikes and a taste of beer. It also dosen't feel like even the leader got his just dues in the end and I really dislike those kind of episodes. Also not really a lot of funny scenes besides Homer not being suckered in at first and Burns trying to become a god. However equally as irritating is "Lisa The Simpson" for how it tries rewritting Homer and Bart's "stupidity" by saying it's a family gene all the male simpsons suffer from while all the female simpsons have actual potential. Which I think is a bunch of bunk since not only do we see homer and Bart have moments of introspective but also other decently smart male simpsons. Heck I even liked it more in "HOMR" that said Homer's lack of intellgence was due to him having a crayon in his mind more then what this one passed off. Plus nothing really that enjoyable besides the whole Jasper Subplot. And yeah I know "The Princiapl And The Pauper" probably had the more in a way disgusting rewrite of the continuity but they at least acknowleged in that episode and others the point of that was was to be shocking and yet cruel at the same time and it had more backing on it then that whole Simpsons gene nonsense.

10. "Homer Simpson In: "Kidney Trouble"" - There were a lot of stupid episodes in Season 10, which seemed to be the season where Homer got into the most wacky shennigans and jobs and left a lot of the rest of the family high and dry. But this one edges out for a few reasons. Not just for Homer's terrible cowardness in how he caused Abe's kidneys to blow out and wouldn't give him one of his. Or even the creepy ending of Homer eyeing one of Bart's kidney. What puts this over the top is how unentertaining everything is. Nothing really memorable from the robot western or from Homer trying to run onto the ship of misery or even the ltitle conversations. Which makes this one more bland then everything. I mean even the crueleness might of worked if it weren't for the fact this one was just so uninteresting and dry.

11. "Bart Of The Future" - Believe it or not despite stupid premises like the family moving into a farm and growing tomamto tobacco, getting another horse and having to deal with elf jockeys, going on the run after trying to extend a Flordia spring break, I'm going with the second look into the future episode. As I mentioned in "Holidays Of Future Past" there didn't seem to be much of a point of the second and third future episodes besides a lot of Future gags which weren't really that funny. And more pointless Bart and Lisa bickering. In this case her being embarassed of Bart and him "saving the day" by giving them more time to get out of debt. That and the whole Homer wanting to find Abraham Lincoln's gold plot didn't really work either. Honestly I like the future epiosdes that actually show the kids going through different challenges and different struggles then just repeating the same failings or relationships they had before. Something this one certainly dosen't do. And also like a lot of adult animated shows, the indian gambling aspect (since that was in the beginning of the ep) didn't work either.

12. "Pokey Mom" - One of my least favorite epsiodes ever to be honest because I don't really remember really anything making me laugh in this one. I remember a lot of attempts at jokes failing (the juicebox, Homer's various back pains, Jack slipping between dimensia and normalcy way too quickly, Marge in the prison etc) and just being incredibly bored by the entire episode. I think the only things I liked were Moe saying Chrirotown in the chriocrparctors plot and maybe Wiggum and Jack's discussion about shows at the end. And the blue shirt joke since that's a good nod to the Simpsons comics. Otherwise though nothing really entertaining about this one whatsoever. Ironically the next episode "Worst Episode Ever" is far better then this bland, boring dull turd that didn't even have any good set pieces or memorable moments unlike even the more absurd and goofy eps of this season.

13. 'The Latest Gun In The West" - Wasn't one of the original rules of the Simpsons that all the animal characters would act more like animals and not really exhibit more human traits you'd find in other cartoons? Yeah this epsiode so went against that premise in the entire first act with Bart being chased by the dog which is the more kind of annoying cruel humor I thought the show was finished with years ago. Even past that the rest of the episode is really uninvolving as I don't care for the Buck McCoy Cowboy or Homer wanting to be Bart's hero or even the kids getting into the old west. Just feels like a story that's been done before but the twist is this time it's with a cowboy that part really likes that really acts. Even the ending had to admit it was being lazy and half ass and yeah some episodes do have those kind of endings but not really ever this bad with Snake and some cronies acting like old west bandits and (groans) Bart AGAIN being chased by the dog. Nothing really worked here and really I think the funniest joke of the episode (Homer pulling out his "little homer") was actually something only in the promo and not in the show itself. So when the actual episode itself cuts it's best joke you know you have problems.

14. "Brake My Wife, Please" - Okay I'll admitt the second and third acts of "Dude, Where's My Ranch" are terrible between the stupid plot about Homer vs Beavers and apparently Lisa's first crush even though it's more like her twelfth and a lot of stupid jokes in that regard. However I really love the first act with the Stupid Flanders song enough to sort of give the episode pass. I can't do the same though for "Brake My Wife, Please". Which has a good song in it's first act but that's the only highlight of the episode. The rest is just Homer actually starting to enjoy walking for once but then Marge hits him in her car but since she was overworked and pressured it's all Homer's fault and he has to spend the rest of the episode making it up to her which I really hate. Since again it's going with the whole "Homer must make it up to Marge 10 fold even if he's not really in the wrong" kind of stupid writing and instead of dealing with more interesting issues goes with a more stupid cliche one we've seen hundreds of times before. Also put off with the whole "Apu gets beat around by Manjula for having cheated on her" since I thought we were over that plot but no I guess not for whatever stupid reason. Oh well it was only Homer walking around and Marge's frustration of being the main driver. Not like Homer/Marge matrital grief got in the way of any actual developed plotlines right?

15. "My Big Fat Geek Wedding" - Oh right, THIS episode did that. Yeah I know "The Way We Weren't" is incredibly continuity insulting (Not only in saying Marge and Homer met as kids and that somehow making Homer the bad guy when he wasn't but also saying Milhouse's first kiss was with homer when he's been kissed before) "Bart Mangled Banner" was bad satire and stuff like "The Regina Monologues" and "The Fat And The Furriest" were just stupid beyond belief, but this one hurt a lot more. Not only did we get unneeded annoying and really pointless Marge/Homer martial grief in an episode that didn't need it, but this episode undid the YEARS of build up of the Skinner/Edna relationship. Remember how "Grade School Confidental" was the start of their relationship and we've been seeing jokes and little scenes and the occasional plotline of it building up? Yeah well that was all thrown out the window due to skinner suddenly getting cold feet, Edna thinking he didn't want her anymore and then her randomly hooking up with Comic Book Guy and then deciding "yeah I'm going to be a loose woman again" until years later where she's with Flanders which at the very least the writers can't break up because the FANS said they need to stay together. I wish they decided on a fan vote for Edna and Skinner though instead of throwing all that continuity down the drain and returning things to staus quo from over 7 years ago. Which is the biggest crime really: I can understand some things changing and going back to what they were before (like Kirk and Luanne remarrying) but don't break up people you spent years developing. Espiecally since it felt like Al Jean's team was slapping Oakdale and Weinstein's team in the face saying "ha we're crapping over what you tried setting up before! Hahahahaha!" Screw whoever thought this one up. Screw them hard.

16. "On A Clear Day I Can't See My Sister" - This is probably the first time there were more bad or medicore episodes in a seaso nthen good or at least fairly enjoyable ones. Or at the very least where there were a huge amount of bland choices. Like "Midnight RX" or "She Used To Be My Girl" and "A Star Is Torn". And then there are just the really annoying episodes like "Future Drama" with more pointless looks into the future where besides a Bender cameo all we have to look forward to is more of the same crude we already don't care about. And "Moblie Homer" yet another irritating Homer and Marge have troubles episode. However as CartoonFridays put it, Lisa pushed a boundry here with her crueless towards Bart with this one where it still feels like he was punished at the end and got a thousand times worse then what Bart gave Lisa in the beginning. This is one just thinking about makes me shudder in annoyance and wonder why it was written out so that's defintley a sign right there not to watch that one.

17. "Milhouse Of Sand And Fog" - There were a LOT of bad Marge and Homer with problems episodes in this season. Like "Bonfire Of The Manatees" and "Regarding Margie". And one of the more interesting or at least enjoyable endings to an episode "Marge And Homer Turn A Couple Play" was a good inversion of that which decided to focus more on the couple with the problem instead of them having more issues. Too bad this episode didn't do that. Due to Kirk and Luanne falling back together, Milhouse wants to drive them apart again and Bart's plan makes Homer and Marge have troubles which is just... grating beyond extreme. Maybe you could pull this in "A Milhouse Divided" as ultimatley there was still some focus on Kirk and Luanne throughout the ep and the ending of the two not getting together again was refreshing, but having them completley forgotten about here for more Marge and Homer problems is just insulting. Like really felt like the writers had no idea what to do with them and decided "Let's have Homer and Marge have problems since we know how to write that story over and over again several hundred times". Not to mention the fact the only funny joke I even remember from this one is Ralph's extended duck duck goose and an O.C parody which probably wouldn't even hold up today since who really remembers the O.C now?

18. "Crook And Ladder" - Though I had seen how terrible the pacing problems with the show had been for years and how long it took them to the crux of the main plot this was the worst example. As it took two set pieces to actually get to the story and by then it was already veering off in a different direction then just Homer and co being fireman. And not to mention the fact this one was just dull beyond belief. Even some of the potentially more grating episodes had something worthwhile about them in this season. Like "Ice Cream Or Margie (With The Light Blue Hair)" had least had a good start before Marge and Homer have problems crud again, and "Rome-old and Juli-Eh" had some level of believability to it despite the fact a Grandpa and Selma romance is the kind of shark jumping they made fun of in previous epsiodes. This though was just banal and totally unmemorable whatsoever. And sometimes that's even worse then just being bad since I can remember more on why it's bad and it left and impact on me. This though.... no impact whatsoever and really only recommended to fans of the show who would want to see every episode and no one else whatsoever.

19. "Husband And Knives" - Yeah "The 90's Show" was not only a bad episode but a bad retelling of Marge and Homer's dating years that shouldn't of been just because the show's gone on so long they'd be in their 50/60's if the were dating in their 70's. However at the very least you knew going into it that was the focus of the episode and that is where the crux of the story would come from. But a truley bad Homer and Marge marital problems epsiode is where they take over or abandon the plot of another much more interesting story in favor of focusing on them. Before it was Skinner and Edna's relationship, then Kirk and Luanne's, and now Comic Book Guy getting some new compettion from a nice comic book owner's shop. That's what the episode should of been about: Homer and the others helping CBG and exposing Jack Black's comic book owner as being a more shady guy and having CBG back as the main comic book store owner and learning to be a bit nicer. Instead we had 5 minutes of good nerdy comic book jokes and tension and then.... Marge opens up a workout center and Homer decides to get his stomach cut in order to look more appeasing to his wife. Without any resolution to CBG's plot whatsover. I really hate that first off: yeah we know things go back to normal every episode because you guys don't want to keep track of old continuity let alone new continuity but at least show us how that happens. Also it felt unneeded and uncomfteratble seeing Homer get skinny that way and wasn't funny whatsoever. Just disturbing and really makes this one of the worst of all times IMHO.

20. "Dangerous Curves" - A lot of episodes of season 20 instead of just being bad were more just bland and forgettable. In truth I kind of had a falling out with the show a bit halfway through season 20 and only caught a lot of those episodes on marathon a couple of years later and even though they're still fairly fresh in my mind it's hard remembering specific scenes or moments from them. Like "Take My Life, Please", or "In The Name Of The Grandfather" or even "Father Knows Worst" where yeah some of the basic plots ring familiar but none of the specifics of what actually happened. I remember though really disliking "Dangerous Curves" for being another Homer and Marge rewrite episode. And I espiecally remember it since quite frankly the plot with the other couples involved in the cabin were A LOT more interesting and felt a lot fresher then the tripe they said trying to rewrite their history for... what the 20th time? Also one of those episodes with a really weak, random ending and something you have to struggle to remember if there were ANY jokes or things you liked about it and finding nothing. At least stuff like "Homer And Lisa Exchange Cross Words" started out decently enough before becoming stupid and grating, but not this one.

21. "American History X-Cellent" - More memorable then season 20, season 21 did have some decent episodes. As well as ones that had moments that I didn't like (such as the Bart plot from "The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed", the main plot of "Million Dollar Maybe" but the stuff with Lisa and the old folks home and the Nintendo Wii parody was good, and "The Color Yellow" had least had a decent enough structure unlike some other episodes I hate that rewrite the family's history with exact copies of them in past lifes) but the overall episode still had some merits. This one though was just terrible all around. The idea of Smithers being put in charge of the plant and being a nicer boss until realizing he was being underminded sounds actually pretty interesting. Too bad they made the writing so obvious and the exposition so forced with his part it was literally painful to get through. Same goes for the very VERY unneeded Bart and Lisa and ants subplot as well as Marge being just a grating nag in this. However what really sunk this episode so low was the scene where the Kevin Michael Richardson voiced inmate literally SUCKED pretty much all the evil from Mr. Burns. Okay yeah I know Simpsons is a cartoon but honestly there are limits to what the show should and shouldn't have able to exisit in it's world and that was defintley something I never hoped to see, yet did anyway. So yeah, that's the definte low point here.

22. "The Fight Before Christmas" - I'll give credit that the puppet stuff with Katy Perry was believe it or not actually pretty decent. The rest of the episode though.... well a lot of Christmas episodes tend to suffer and really I don't think they should have anymore holiday tale segments that AREN'T Treehouse of Horror, but this may still be the worst Yutetide Simpsons ever. Maybe if I saw Inglorious Bastards I'd care about the parody they did but I didn't and it was more dull then anything else. Same with Bart and Santa, and really they had to make Martha Stewart seem super powerful for her guest appearence? Why exactly, since last I checked no one really cared much about her at the time of that epsiode at all really. I think the worst crime though is that there isn't even an ATTEMPT at a moment of hearth or warmth of this christmas episode. Even sort of half thought out christmas shows like "Skinner's Sense of Snow" or "Lisa The Budhist" tried in some vein for that, but not this one.

23. "Moe Goes From Rag To Riches" - Yeah I already told everyone how much I hated this episode in it's talkback thread so I won't repeat myself. But I will say this: Nothing about it worked from the Bart-Milhouse conflict, the tale of Moe's rag, the history and various looks at Springfieldians in different time periods, the bits of emotion they tried squeezing out, Moe having to find out people liked him at the end or well any of the jokes they tried squeezing together. In fact even looking at the rest of my choices on this list this may in fact be my least favorite episode of all time. Maybe other moments in other episodes ticked me off but I could at least see some reasoning behind them or at least they had some charm. This though... yeah none of that whatsover which is why this may be my personal least favorite Simpsons episode, period.

Sorry about the length of this post but like usual I like to rant so decided it's best to get all my thoughts out here on bad Simpsons epiosdes.
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

.... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

ReijiAzuma is offline Gah, cuteness! My weakness!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One I always greatly hated was My Sister, My Sitter in season 8. Seems a lot of people on here dislike ones with excessive cruelty, and that's especially present here when Bart goes double jerkass mode to make Lisa's life a living hell. The ending with Lisa just desperate and over the edge with an unconscious Bart in a wheelbarrow and Maggie locked up in a cage getting caught by the adults and blamed by everyone was just too disturbing to watch. One of the very few "classic" era episodes (it counts, right?) I have never able to watch more than once.
    Timmy Turner (Tara Strong): In the future, there will be 500 TV channels.... but nothing to watch!

Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ^ "Sitter" is actually one of my favorite season 8 episodes. The essence of every good story is conflict, and boy does this episode have it in spades. But it's made all the better by the fact that it's a conflict based on circumstances, that is, Bart being "babysat" by his younger sister. Talk about a humiliating situation, and that spurs Bart to behave worse than he usually does to Lisa. (He's also jealous of the money and adoration she's gotten from being a babysitter, a common thing between siblings, so that certainly fueled his behavior as well, but of course doesn't excuse it)

Now I will give you that it's unfortunate what happens to Lisa in the episode, but on the other hand, the misunderstanding in front of most of the town only helped her babysitting business, and Bart apologized for acting like a jerk, so all ended well.

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReijiAzuma View Post
    One I always greatly hated was My Sister, My Sitter in season 8. Seems a lot of people on here dislike ones with excessive cruelty, and that's especially present here when Bart goes double jerkass mode to make Lisa's life a living hell. The ending with Lisa just desperate and over the edge with an unconscious Bart in a wheelbarrow and Maggie locked up in a cage getting caught by the adults and blamed by everyone was just too disturbing to watch. One of the very few "classic" era episodes (it counts, right?) I have never able to watch more than once.
    My main gripe with "My Sister, My Sitter" is that it doesn't have enough jokes. Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein occasionally backed themselves into this trap in Season 8, where they were so focused and intent on making the Simpsons feel like real living people with genuine emotions and problems that they forgot to make them funny. The third act of the show is almost entirely devoid of laughs, and those that are there are just throwaway jokes unrelated to the main plot ("Oh, loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix", "It's a Yard King! Man, that's a quality barrow!", etc.) Lisa babysitting Bart has the potential to be a great plot, but Oakley and Weinstein played it way too seriously.
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Miracle on Evergreen Terrace: Worst. Meanspirited. Ending. EVER.

I always thought Miracle on Evergreen Terrace was a bad episode. Bart lying on Christmas?

Chaos Yoshi Mage is offline The Lonely Raven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like a lot of these episodes actually, well, I've never seen a lot of the more recent ones. I guess I never took The Simpsons seriously enough to think an episode was too dark or depressing or if it was inconsistent with previously established "canon" (I actually like That 90's Show for example). I mean, they might not be my favorites, but they're entertaining enough.
    Hey everypony! Check out new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starting September 17th on The Hub! You'll be 20% more awesome!

Trying to get back into Pokemon, PM if you want to battle in Black/White!

Jave is offline So Smashing... In Space! Magma Champion Robots and Aliens: Reactor Twist 3D Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You know, I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Four Great Women and a Manicure" yet. I just checked the talkback and all the comments range from "meh" to "worst ever".

Not that I believe it belongs here since I actually thought it was OK. I'm just surprised given the huge amount of hate that one got.
    Jave's Support Gallery - My Tumblr Blog detailing my current run of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

What a Cartoon Review Blog - My own project where the goal is to write a detailed review to the original 48 WAC shorts.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Warner
    My main gripe with "My Sister, My Sitter" is that it doesn't have enough jokes. Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein occasionally backed themselves into this trap in Season 8, where they were so focused and intent on making the Simpsons feel like real living people with genuine emotions and problems that they forgot to make them funny. The third act of the show is almost entirely devoid of laughs, and those that are there are just throwaway jokes unrelated to the main plot ("Oh, loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix", "It's a Yard King! Man, that's a quality barrow!", etc.) Lisa babysitting Bart has the potential to be a great plot, but Oakley and Weinstein played it way too seriously.
    I suppose I can see your point that O&W could sometimes get pretty serious, but I think the last act of "Sitter" has more jokes than you're giving it credit for:
    -Homer stuck in the fountain, whimpering
    -The woman on the other end of the line saying she won't come to the Simpsons house because they've already been there for sisterectomy, a severe case of butt rot and a leprechaun bite.
    -Smithers refusing to allow Lisa to go ahead of him because of... well... heh...
    -Wiggum forgetting which is the correct way to be a pedestrian: Walking with traffic, or against traffic
    -"I officially declare this... WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!"
    -"AND SHE'S ON DRUGS!!!"
    -"My diagnosis: A rather nasty fall... CAUSED BY BAD BABYSITTING!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jave View Post
    You know, I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Four Great Women and a Manicure" yet. I just checked the talkback and all the comments range from "meh" to "worst ever".

Not that I believe it belongs here since I actually thought it was OK. I'm just surprised given the huge amount of hate that one got.
    I don't think I've ever seen that episode, so I can't comment.

LordTerminal is offline The old-school DK is back!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CartoonFridays View Post

Marge vs. SSCCTG-Again took satire too far and too cruel for mainstream Simpsons humor.
    That's one of my personal three most hated. The attitude Lindsay Nagle and her so-called "group" showed in that episode makes me think that violence might actually be the only way to solve some problems.

The other two would be the following:

Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass: All I really need to say about my problems with the recent seasons can pretty much be summed up by pointing at Homer's victory dance in that episode and saying "pretty much that". Seriously, people actually wrote that thinking it was funny AND were paid to do so. This was an episode that made me give up The Simpsons for a while. Well outside of Treehouse of Horror episodes, and even those lost their appeal over time. Speaking of which....

Treehouse of Horror XXII: I'm sorry, I thought this was a Halloween special, I should expect to see as much. If I wanted to see badly done parodies of movies or skits w/ nothing but fart jokes, I'd watch a Seltzer and Friedberg movie. You'd think the Simpsons, even in it's terrible days would do better but this was a new low IMO.
    If anyone comes up and asks "Are you a spy?" just say "Yes! Can't you read? But I'm undercover!" - Don Patch

He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life. - Homer Simpson

copper20 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't seen many of them, but the only I didn't like was:

Itchy and Scratchy: The Movie- I didn't like the scene where Marge sent Bart upstairs without dinner. I thought that was a little cruel. Plus Bart trying to pounce Santa's Little Helper was too upsetting for me. Seriously, The Simpsons is supposed to be funny. Why make episodes that make people sad?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by copper20 View Post
    I haven't seen many of them, but the only I didn't like was:

Itchy and Scratchy: The Movie- I didn't like the scene where Marge sent Bart upstairs without dinner. I thought that was a little cruel.
    It was a punishment. It was designed to make Bart straighten up and fly right. There are far worse things Marge could've done to him. Heck, that was nothing compared to repeatedly being strangled by Homer. Now THAT'S cruel.

Jave is offline So Smashing... In Space! Magma Champion Robots and Aliens: Reactor Twist 3D Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Daedalus View Post
    It was a punishment. It was designed to make Bart straighten up and fly right. There are far worse things Marge could've done to him. Heck, that was nothing compared to repeatedly being strangled by Homer. Now THAT'S cruel.
    Not to mention, he was punished for destroying Grandpa's dentures. Considering how much those things cost, I say Bart got off easy, even without Homer bringing him pizza afterwards.
    Jave's Support Gallery - My Tumblr Blog detailing my current run of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

What a Cartoon Review Blog - My own project where the goal is to write a detailed review to the original 48 WAC shorts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2