Quantcast
Page 74 of 101 FirstFirst ... 24646566676869707172737475767778798081828384 ... LastLast
    NewcomerDC is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by veemonjosh
    The thing that has me most excited about a CW Kids block?

The inevitable licensing of Digimon Xros Wars.
    I've been against the dub for as long as that show been on Japan's televisions' airwaves. Digimon, while popular to some people who remember fondly of the series, is deceased. Remember Bandai giving up everything to the point where it exist as one half of the Namco/Bandai Games brand? How about those toys we were supposed to get by the, when it was announced, unknown, small toy company who picked up the rights to create new action figures and figurines that we never saw in stores? How about the disappointment of 'The Boys Who Leapt Through Time' (The Time Traveling Hunters: the personal name for that portion of 'Xros Wars') with the crossover aspect advertised to get fans, and newbies, hooked to 'Digimon Xros Wars'? It was only for it to be used as the finale rather than for it to be expanded upon as the show moved away from the 'Taiki and friends battle Evil Digimon of the Day capture it' order of events?

There's an appreciation to people with nostalgia glasses who enjoyed the original dub along with those who found fault with each series including Frontier and Savers (never calling it 'Data Squad' ever). It's the failure of the latter series that lead to not having much hope for 'Xros Wars' from the series' title change to pointless edits to the possibility of being unable to get all of the original voice actors of the leaders of past Digimon teams (Everyone knows about Joshua Seth's retirement).

'Beyblade' was lucky to see 2011-2012 even if the dub received is not as great as the first three anime series to the toy franchise's name. Even Duel Masters trying to make a combat which also can lead to it being like 'Beyblade' or falling by the way side.

If the show returned sub only, that's fine. As for the franchise to be as big as it once was from 1999-2002 (the years after these weren't too good with 1999-2000 being the best time to get interested with the show), it's a possibility but not likely to happen.
    I don't need a signature. I'm too cool for one. LOL

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I still think it's amazing they went after something like Beast Masters instead of Scan2Go, or Mix Master: Final Force - shows that probably aren't expensive to pick up, but at least are presentable to a large audience.

Quote Originally Posted by NewcomerDC View Post
    'Beyblade' was lucky to see 2011-2012 even if the dub received is not as great as the first three anime series to the toy franchise's name. Even Duel Masters trying to make a combat which also can lead to it being like 'Beyblade' or falling by the way side.
    Err, the Beyblade Metal ____ dubs are actually a tonne better than Bakuten's. The script is a lot more accurate, the music hasn't been replaced, edits are minimal and often non-existent and it has yet to create dub-only characters. Voice acting quality is a matter of opinion, while I did think it was genius to cast young boys in Bakuten for the leads, outside of permanent cold Ginga, and mad scientist Ryuuga the Metal ___ voice actors aren't doing a bad job.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix12345 View Post
    Look like Saban just aquired themselves another 200 or so episodes for their library on Netflix. Plus, that increases the chances of really nice Shout! Factory DVD sets of every already dubbed Yu-Gi-Oh! series and BBT. Not to mention that Saban now has a Saturday morning block all to themselves. I am satisfied and hyped at the same time.
    I realize that mediocre DVDs are better than no DVDs, but Shout! Factory isn't really all that great. They don't do subtitle tracks for the hearing impaired, they release sets with glitches, and can go months on end without discussing the next release of a series.

Quote Originally Posted by veemonjosh View Post
    The thing that has me most excited about a CW Kids block?

The inevitable licensing of Digimon Xros Wars.
    Can you imagine the visual edits it would need to make broadcast?
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

PC!
    PC! is offline lolwut?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Plus, that increases the chances of really nice Shout! Factory DVD sets of every already dubbed Yu-Gi-Oh! series and BBT.
    I can feel 4Kids4EverFandom's excitement growing.

Quote Originally Posted by NewcomerDC View Post
    I've been against the dub for as long as that show been on Japan's televisions' airwaves. Digimon, while popular to some people who remember fondly of the series, is deceased.

There's an appreciation to people with nostalgia glasses who enjoyed the original dub along with those who found fault with each series including Frontier and Savers (never calling it 'Data Squad' ever). It's the failure of the latter series that lead to not having much hope for 'Xros Wars' from the series' title change to pointless edits to the possibility of being unable to get all of the original voice actors of the leaders of past Digimon teams (Everyone knows about Joshua Seth's retirement).

If the show returned sub only, that's fine. As for the franchise to be as big as it once was from 1999-2002 (the years after these weren't too good with 1999-2000 being the best time to get interested with the show), it's a possibility but not likely to happen.
    I don't think anyone is ever expecting Digimon to be as big as it was when it first premiered, but if Beyblade can come back to American airwaves after so many years absent, I don't doubt Digimon can, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Takao View Post
    Can you imagine the visual edits it would need to make broadcast?
    Citramon.

My webcomic: Zack and Zeke

A heartwarming nonsensical tale comedy of friendship errors between a boy moron and his sarcastic alien

Lanmanna is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone know when the 4Kids/CW contract is set to expire?

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Look like Saban just aquired themselves another 200 or so episodes for their library on Netflix. Plus, that increases the chances of really nice Shout! Factory DVD sets of every already dubbed Yu-Gi-Oh! series and BBT. Not to mention that Saban now has a Saturday morning block all to themselves. I am satisfied and hyped at the same time.
    I still don't see anything besides the anniversary movie and what they dubbed of Zexal getting a DVD release. The poor sales from the last few 4Kids DVDs probably wouldn't encourage another distributor to release them on DVD. Plus, I can't really see GX and 5D's being released on DVD given their low ratings and incomplete dubs. Besides that, I thought that Shout! Factory wasn't interested in releasing anime titles after the poor sales for Dinosaur King and Medabots. Though I can see them easily uploading the 4Kids dubs on Netflix since they've done that with their other properties, so the 4Kids dubs most likely aren't going to disappear even if they don't get a DVD release.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanmanna
    Does anyone know when the 4Kids/CW contract is set to expire?
    I think it was going to expire next year, but since 4Kids is selling off the block, I'm pretty sure that the contract that the CW will establish with the new company will be extended.

Spideyzilla is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I think it was going to expire next year, but since 4Kids is selling off the block, I'm pretty sure that the contract that the CW will establish with the new company will be extended.
    I was wondering that myself. I thought Saban was inheriting 4Kid's contract and CW would re-sign them if the ratings were good.

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    From Toonzaki's Facebook page:

Quote Originally Posted by Toonzaki
    Saban has not purchased Yu-Gi-Oh!. The news agencies that reported on the sale did not read the documents carefully enough. Saban simply made a bid.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it?
    You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure.
    Updates Bi-Weekly! (Newest: 11/21 - BanzaiCon 2014 Report)

Also on Toon Radio every Thursday at 10pm EST!

Chaotix12345 is offline Shine Like Rainbows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I still don't see anything besides the anniversary movie and what they dubbed of Zexal getting a DVD release. The poor sales from the last few 4Kids DVDs probably wouldn't encourage another distributor to release them on DVD. Plus, I can't really see GX and 5D's being released on DVD given their low ratings and incomplete dubs. Besides that, I thought that Shout! Factory wasn't interested in releasing anime titles after the poor sales for Dinosaur King and Medabots. Though I can see them easily uploading the 4Kids dubs on Netflix since they've done that with their other properties, so the 4Kids dubs most likely aren't going to disappear even if they don't get a DVD release.
    Considering that this is Saban that we're dealing with, I still think that they're going to try to get as much money as they can out of the license, regardless of previous DVD sales or low ratings. (Considering that they're also bothering to releasing more obscure shows that probably won't sell that well like VR Troopers and Big Bad Beetleborgs, I think that they're willing to take a risk or two. Not to mention the fact that they're releasing Power Rangers RPM and Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation, two shows that got pretty abysmal ratings. Besides, it isn't like Disney's previous Power Rangers DVDs sold that well to begin with and they're still bothering to release that show.) I also don't really see how an incomplete dub would prevent a dub release. I highly doubt that Saban cares, like how Viz didn't care about the banned episodes when they released the Pokemon Indigo League sets. Their primary concern is probably just getting an English release on the mass market in the first place and, as far as the general public is concerned, it's the complete US run. I really don't see Saban ignoring an opportunity to make som extra dough just because some episodes are missing. The Shout! Factory thing was just a bit of wishful thinking on my behalf because so many of Saban's properties are being released by them in the first place. They're probably not in any hurry to release another anime series after the mediocre sales of previous ones, but hey, you never know.
    Official Reporter for Herotaku, home of the latest tokusatsu news!

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Considering that this is Saban that we're dealing with, I still think that they're going to try to get as much money as they can out of the license, regardless of previous DVD sales or low ratings. (Considering that they're also bothering to releasing more obscure shows that probably won't sell that well like VR Troopers and Big Bad Beetleborgs, I think that they're willing to take a risk or two. Not to mention the fact that they're releasing Power Rangers RPM and Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation, two shows that got pretty abysmal ratings. Besides, it isn't like Disney's previous Power Rangers DVDs sold that well to begin with and they're still bothering to release that show.) I also don't really see how an incomplete dub would prevent a dub release. I highly doubt that Saban cares, like how Viz didn't care about the banned episodes when they released the Pokemon Indigo League sets. Their primary concern is probably just getting an English release on the mass market in the first place and, as far as the general public is concerned, it's the complete US run. I really don't see Saban ignoring an opportunity to make som extra dough just because some episodes are missing. The Shout! Factory thing was just a bit of wishful thinking on my behalf because so many of Saban's properties are being released by them in the first place. They're probably not in any hurry to release another anime series after the mediocre sales of previous ones, but hey, you never know.
    Personally, I do think that they'll take previous DVD sales in mind when considering releasing or re-releasing in some cases, the 4Kids dubs. If they sold poorly before, which I believe at least the latter releases were, then what would make Saban think that they would get enough money back to warrant the costs in finding a distributor and releasing the DVDs? The fact that it took roughly three years for the first season of GX to be available on DVD says a lot regarding how well it sold. The only one that has a chance of getting a release in my opinion would be DM because it's the most popular out of the three 4Kids dubs and even then I'm not too sure about it.

Both GX and 5D's really did have poor ratings, which contributed to their dubs being left incomplete, and I do think that being left incomplete is a factor as well. Neither dub offers much conclusion, although I give 4Kids some credit for at least trying to offer that in their finale for the 5D's dub, and it's extremely obvious in both dubs that there's more after their supposed endings. Though, if 4Kids has just completed the third season of GX, it might have felt more like an actual ending. I don't think that the comparison to Viz not including the banned episodes for the Kanto box sets work for a couple of reasons. They couldn't have included the banned episodes even if they wanted to due to the various reasons why they were banned in the first place, especially that Porygon episode. The only one they could have was that Beauty and the Beach episode, although I don't know why they didn't include that one. Most importantly, skipping banned episodes that were mostly filler, with the only one having any impact to the storyline was the Dranti episode where Ash caught a bunch of Taruos, isn't really the same thing as skipping the last arc of an entire series. And in 5D's case, they skipped a good ten episodes in the middle of the WRGP arc, which were important to the storyline and included what I consider to be the best match in the whole tournament, along with the ending to the series.

I agree that Saban will want to get some money off of this license, but I do think that they're going to consider what method of releasing these dubs would be for the best. I don't think that they'll go through the trouble of setting up a deal with a distributor, especially when Shout! most likely won't be interested in releasing another anime title anytime soon, only to end up with poor sales. They'll want to make sure that they can get a reasonable/satisfying profit out of it not only for their own company, but so that the distributor would continue releasing DVDs for them. The poor sales from the Yu-Gi-Oh! DVDs is most likely why Funimation stopped being the distributor for 4Kids in the first place and that's definitely why Shout! isn't interested in anime titles after Medabots and Dinosaur King turned out. It isn't like I don't want them to be released on DVD. I just don't see the going that route due to the history of poor sales and the incomplete dubs for GX and 5D's. Personally, I just think it's more likely that they put them up online or on Netflix. From what I've heard, Saban has put most of their properties on there, so if they do end up with the license, chances are excellent that those dubs will be up on Netflix. Besides that, whoever ends up with the license is going to want to focus on releasing Zexal before releasing DVDs for the 4Kids dubs or possible redubs, although I usually imagine the redubs happening somewhere down the road and not anytime in the near future.

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Again though, as that Toonzaki post said, Saban might not be who gets Yu-Gi-Oh. It could still go to some other company if they get outbid.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it?
    You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure.
    Updates Bi-Weekly! (Newest: 11/21 - BanzaiCon 2014 Report)

Also on Toon Radio every Thursday at 10pm EST!