Page 63 of 101 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273 ... LastLast
    PC!
    PC! is offline lolwut?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectSeven View Post
    Sonic X continues to bring in the higher ratings for the Toonzai block. I wonder why 4kids hasn't shown any interest in selling the license for this show because I believe they could get a good price from selling Sonic X off. I know there has been some talk of other assets being sold along with YGO but there hasn't been any specifics of what those other assets include.
    Why would they sell one of the few shows that actually brings them success?

My webcomic: Zack and Zeke

A heartwarming nonsensical tale comedy of friendship errors between a boy moron and his sarcastic alien

Kazamatsuri is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here's what I think is going on.

If you go over to this site, it would seem that Classic Media is indeed the potential purchaser. However, they will not be purchasing the entire Yugioh franchise (more on that later).

As I mentioned in my earlier post, 4Kids only owns the patent on Yugioh, not the franchise itself. Based on the amortization process, combined with how in revenues it has generated over the past few years, among other factors. I'd say that Yugioh's patent is worth well over $20 million as we speak. I doubt any company (especially Classic Media) would pay that much up front, unless they knew of a surefire way to generate greater revenue s with the limited time they would own the patent.

That said, Classic Media is called what it is for a reason. It's interested in, well, 'classic media.' My guess is that they are indeed interested in Yugioh. What I believe they're after,are the distribution rights to Duel Monsters. That's the only portion of the Yugioh franchise that could actually be considered "classic media. I think what may eventually come out the talks between 4Kids and CM is a revenue sharing agreement (most likely 50/50). On top of that, CM may be obligated to pay an initial fee somewhere around 3 to 4 million.

Beyond that, it would seem that virtually everything on Toonzai is 'classic media.' I wouldn't be surprised if CM is interested in other 4Kids license, such as Sonic X for example, or Cubix,or even 4Kids own produced WMAC Masters, which believe it or not, predates even the days of Pokemon.

Having said all that, 4Kids will continue to retain full control over Zexal. When you combine their mentality that everything they hold the license to has to be created 'their way,' and the fact that they've already dubbed the first two dozen episodes, that pretty much spells it out right there.

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    Well, the ratings for the last episode of Zexal was much better than I expected, especially when the last few episodes haven't even gotten past the 0.8 mark. The block seemed to doing pretty strong until the second DBZ Kai repeat. Those ratings for Tai Chi Chasers and especially Capsule Monsters were painfully bad. I don't think I've seen the 11:30AM slot get a rating that low since around the time the 5D's dub was finishing up.
    I have to imagine there was some kind of pre-emption on a lot of affiliates. Even the second Kai episode was low.
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

bigddan11 is offline Justice must be served!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectSeven View Post
    Sonic X continues to bring in the higher ratings for the Toonzai block. I wonder why 4kids hasn't shown any interest in selling the license for this show because I believe they could get a good price from selling Sonic X off. I know there has been some talk of other assets being sold along with YGO but there hasn't been any specifics of what those other assets include.
    I don't know that 4Kids can sell Sonic X to anyone because they might not have the full license. 4Kids got the rights to Sonic X from ShoPro Entertainment before ShoPro merged with Viz to become Viz Media. Since no one seems to have posted a contract showing what rights ShoPro kept or if 4Kids inheirited all rights from ShoPro, then they might not be able to sale it. It could be if the license expires, it goes back to Viz Media or something.
    College football, basketball, the NFL, the NBA, and MLB. I may not be an expert, but these sports always keep me fascinated if the game is good!

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/f...7f18425738.jpg
    Beware The Almighty Hammer Gun!

ChibiGoku is offline Something Not Quite Right
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigddan11 View Post
    I don't know that 4Kids can sell Sonic X to anyone because they might not have the full license. 4Kids got the rights to Sonic X from ShoPro Entertainment before ShoPro merged with Viz to become Viz Media. Since no one seems to have posted a contract showing what rights ShoPro kept or if 4Kids inheirited all rights from ShoPro, then they might not be able to sale it. It could be if the license expires, it goes back to Viz Media or something.
    Actually, my understanding is what happened is 4Kids acquired it from TMS and Sega, while Shopro at the time acquired the merchandising rights to the series (unsure through 4Kids or original licensor). Viz Media, who now owns that license, doesn't actually have control over the actual license, but only the sub-license of merchandising and other related material. Unless I'm mistaken, this was all stated in a press release on Shopro USA's site way back when it was still up.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazamatsuri View Post
    Here's what I think is going on.

If you go over to this site, it would seem that Classic Media is indeed the potential purchaser. However, they will not be purchasing the entire Yugioh franchise (more on that later).

As I mentioned in my earlier post, 4Kids only owns the patent on Yugioh, not the franchise itself. Based on the amortization process, combined with how in revenues it has generated over the past few years, among other factors. I'd say that Yugioh's patent is worth well over $20 million as we speak. I doubt any company (especially Classic Media) would pay that much up front, unless they knew of a surefire way to generate greater revenue s with the limited time they would own the patent.

That said, Classic Media is called what it is for a reason. It's interested in, well, 'classic media.' My guess is that they are indeed interested in Yugioh. What I believe they're after,are the distribution rights to Duel Monsters. That's the only portion of the Yugioh franchise that could actually be considered "classic media. I think what may eventually come out the talks between 4Kids and CM is a revenue sharing agreement (most likely 50/50). On top of that, CM may be obligated to pay an initial fee somewhere around 3 to 4 million.

Beyond that, it would seem that virtually everything on Toonzai is 'classic media.' I wouldn't be surprised if CM is interested in other 4Kids license, such as Sonic X for example, or Cubix,or even 4Kids own produced WMAC Masters, which believe it or not, predates even the days of Pokemon.

Having said all that, 4Kids will continue to retain full control over Zexal. When you combine their mentality that everything they hold the license to has to be created 'their way,' and the fact that they've already dubbed the first two dozen episodes, that pretty much spells it out right there.
    While I agree that the DM dub is the only Yu-Gi-Oh! series that could be considered "classic," I don't think that's the same kind of classic in Classic Media's other properties. Almost every show that they have are a couple of decades old. DM can be considered the classic Yu-Gi-Oh! series, but not the same kind of classic as Rocky and Bullwinkile or Lassie. I'm not even sure that Classic Media would be interested in the distribution rights to the series. While 4Kids did release most of the DM series on DVD years ago, they clearly weren't selling well given that Funimation stopped being the distributor a few years ago. Besides that, 4Kids should be more interested in getting a DVD distributor for Zexal. As much as I dislike the new series, they should be putting more attention on Zexal than DM, at least in the DVD department, in order to get kids interested in the brand new series, instead of depending on the same reruns to give them some money before they crash and burn.

I really don't think that Toonzai is virtually full of "classic media" programming. Sonic X and especially Cubix aren't considered classic. Neither series are fondly remembered and while Sonic X is more popular, I don't think enough time has passed for it to be considered classic. DBZ Kai is just a re-edited version of the classic series to follow the manga, so I don't know if Kai itself should be considered classic in that sense. Tai Chi Chasers is a new series and I seriously doubt that it will be considered a classic at any point in the future.

I'm still pretty doubtful that Classic Media would be interested in the distribution rights for DM. Despite being arguably considered the classic Yu-Gi-Oh! series, it's still far too recent compared to the other shows Classic Media owns/deals with and I think it would make more sense for 4Kids to get a company interested in buying the distribution rights to all of the Yu-Gi-Oh! series, rather than just DM, so that they can potentially release Zexal DVDs at some point. I still think that it's sadly only a matter of time before the company crumbles if nothing drastically changes for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Takao
    I have to imagine there was some kind of pre-emption on a lot of affiliates. Even the second Kai episode was low.
    That's a strong possibility given the low rating for the second Kai episode and that the 11:30AM slot hasn't turned out a rating that bad in a long time.

jerrymouse16 is offline Sonic and Amy Forever!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A bit off topic, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Takao View Post

Zula Patrol 0.0/0
    I've haven't seen a show with nobody watching it whatsoever in a long time.

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    NBC (Qubo on NBC)Avg. 0.1/0 (10a-1p)
    Zula Patrol 0.0/0; Shelldon 0.1/0; Jane and the Dragon 0.1/1; Babar 0.1/0; Willa's Wild Life 0.1/1; Pearlie 0.1/1
    ...Wow. Literally NO ONE is watching Qubo anymore.

It was also a holiday weekend. Many affiliates were probably preempted for parades and syndicated church services.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it?
    You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure.
    Updates Bi-Weekly! (Newest: 7/21 - Macross: Do You Remember Love?)

Also on Toon Radio every Thursday at 10pm EST!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An Update on the 4Kids Sale

Aparently the new Court Docket Came today, and the purchaser for the Yu-Gi-Oh Licence is Kidsco Media Ventures LLC. I Don't know if the production is in the US or UK. But this explains whole process on the purchasing of the Yu-Gi-Oh Licence.

http://wmish.com/4k/ygo_363/588-2.pdf

My Only Concerns is who will air ZEXAL? Will Yu-Gi-Oh Stay in America? And Will we a Yu-Gi-Oh DVD out soon? And Finally will they keep the current actors if they are located here in the USA?

EDIT: O Just Found out! Kidsco Media is run by Saban Entertainment (The Puchasers of Power Rangers back in 2010.) And Just learned that nothing will change and it will still air on Toonzai.

Another EDIT: This is also explaining why Saban is the power to Kidco, as this is also in the court document link as well!
    7.11 Saban Capital Guarantee. As of the execution of this Agreement, Saban
    Properties LLC shall execute and deliver a guarantee of all of Purchaser’s obligations under this
    Agreement substantially in the form of the guarantee attached hereto as Exhibit G.
    Last edited by 4Kids4EverFandom; 04-18-2012 at 05:26 PM.

aegisrawks is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by veemonjosh View Post
    ...Wow. Literally NO ONE is watching Qubo anymore.

It was also a holiday weekend. Many affiliates were probably preempted for parades and syndicated church services.
    This doesnt mean ABSOLUTELY no one is watching. Just no one in the 6-11 demographic.