Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most Surreal Animated Movies?

Like This Thread!
    What were some of the most surreal (weirdest) animated movies have you seen? Mine's are:

Raggedy Ann and Andy's Musical Adventure - so many weird images and animation. Probably the scene that really stood out for me in this movie was the scene with the Greedy! I have never seen a candy monster that looks like goo and has pieces of candy on him and he just comes out of nowhere in the movie!
    The Thief and the Cobbler - all the characters just looked so odd, especially Zig Zag being all blue and everything! I remembered the sequence where the Cobbler was chasing the thief throughout the palace and the palace just turned into a crazy funhouse!
    The Nightmare Before Christmas - The whole movie was weird, but in a good way! I loved seeing all kinds of Halloween creatures roaming the town and I found the character Oogie Boogie to be the weirdest character I have ever seen!
    James and the Giant Peach - this movie was so trippy because it had a scary cloud rhino who supposedly ate James' parents and a huge mechanical shark that just appears out of nowhere!
    Coraline - this whole film was weird because Coraline is thrown into a weird world after the next and it really reminded me a bit of the dark version of Alice in Wonderland.
    Last edited by Rabbitearsblog; 07-27-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Little Nemo and Rock a Doodle are definitely up there as some of the strangest kid-flicks I have seen.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors
    Want to read some movie reviews? Check out the blog
    http://animatedmoviegoddess.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pepper View Post
    Little Nemo and Rock a Doodle are definitely up there as some of the strangest kid-flicks I have seen.
    Oh yeah! I forgot about Rock a Doodle! That movie was so weird!

King9 is offline Embraced One
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I find most Hayao Miyazaki movies are pretty mind-bending. Spirited Away is particularly strange at times No-Face, people turning into pigs, spirits. It is a strange, awesome movie.
    Toonzone Bronies - "We would be honored to have you." ~ Twilight Sparkle

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Just a friendly mod reminder here. Please explain your reasons for your choices instead of listing them off in your posts. Lists threads aren't allowed here. They don't promote productive discussions for people to jump into to. Any future post here that just lists their choices will be subject to deletion and/or receiving an infraction. Please continue on with the discussion. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King9 View Post
    I find most Hayao Miyazaki movies are pretty mind-bending. Spirited Away is particularly strange at times No-Face, people turning into pigs, spirits. It is a strange, awesome movie.
    I always thought that Spirited Away was the oddest movie Miyazaki ever made and the spirits in that movie were bizarre beyond all reason. The weirdest and creepiest spirit in that movie was No-Face.

Moriarty is offline The Napoleon of Crime
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cat Soup. i think even the dvd case has a blurb about it being an acid trip. and it pretty much is. i won't even go into detail about it, but if you happen to come across it, its worth a watch. its only like 30 mins long i think.

Yellow Submarine is also pretty surreal. i mean, you have a giant hand flying around and all kinds of crazy things going on. and singing and dancing!

Undrave is offline Forever Burning Heart!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh man I barely recall watching Yellow Submarine as a kid, I really want to see it again.

How about most of the stuff produced in France?

"Le Secret des Sélénites" is just outright BIZARRE! Right down to the character animation with improbably anatomy that just WON'T STOP MOVING! They're always fidgeting in mind bending ways... and when they get to the moon and meets the three legged guys with floating heads...

And some of the stuff in The Twelves Labors of Asterix was really weird and completely out of line with the comics or other movies' continuity o.o like the utterly revisionist ending. I mean one scene has crocodiles jumping out of a ravines and balancing on an invisible wire to waltz music! To say nothing of all the really non-kid friendly aspects (the Isle of Pleasure anyone?).

Even the much more sensical Asterix & Cleopatra has that one musical number with the dancing food and singing cheese.

Brave Little Toaster can be quite surreal at times and slightly unnerving.

"People who meddle with secret identities get their memories erased."
    -------------
    "You murdered your own alter ego? Sounds socially awkward."

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Undrave View Post
    Oh man I barely recall watching Yellow Submarine as a kid, I really want to see it again.

How about most of the stuff produced in France?
    Oh yeah! Have you seen the French short animated film "Les Escargots" or "The Snails?" Now that was one weird short especially with the snails going giant because of a man's tears falling on them!

"Le Secret des Sélénites" is just outright BIZARRE! Right down to the character animation with improbably anatomy that just WON'T STOP MOVING! They're always fidgeting in mind bending ways... and when they get to the moon and meets the three legged guys with floating heads...

And some of the stuff in The Twelves Labors of Asterix was really weird and completely out of line with the comics or other movies' continuity o.o like the utterly revisionist ending. I mean one scene has crocodiles jumping out of a ravines and balancing on an invisible wire to waltz music! To say nothing of all the really non-kid friendly aspects (the Isle of Pleasure anyone?).

Even the much more sensical Asterix & Cleopatra has that one musical number with the dancing food and singing cheese.

Brave Little Toaster can be quite surreal at times and slightly unnerving.
    I also thought that the Brave Little Toaster was weird and scary at times. Oh man, I remembered that Clown nightmare that the Toaster had. Now that was truly weird and disturbing!

Aquadementia is offline That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm going to put in "Fantastic Planet."
    If you've never seen Fantastic Planet, you've have yet to be weirded out by Fantastic Planet.
    Giant blue aliens barely able to take a break from their transcendental meditation to wipe-out mankind.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast