Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GatorMan92 is offline Milk...Cereal...Combine.. .
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cartoon Characters on the Hollywood Walk of Fame

Like This Thread!
    When looking at a list of fictional characters on the HWOF, I was suprised to find only 10 cartoon characters have a star. They are the following:

Bugs Bunny
    Mickey Mouse
    Donald Duck
    Snow White
    Tinker Bell
    Shrek
    The Rugrats
    The Simpsons
    Winnie The Pooh
    Woody Woodpecker

Any thoughts on other characters that are deserving? Here's my list so far:

Popeye
    Daffy Duck
    Goofy
    Tom and Jerry
    Scooby Doo
    Spongebob Squarepants
    Betty Boop
    Felix The Cat
    Charlie Brown and Snoopy
    Eric Cartman

chalmers is offline Role Model
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Shrek and The Rugrats really should not be on that list of recipients of the HWOF star, in my opinion. At most, they were characters that held their appeal for a while as part of a fad, but quickly faded. Neither of these franchises hold much relevance today, nor will they hold relevance in the future.

It remains to be seen if characters like Spongebob will be able to stay relevant in the years to come, but at least in the present he is much more relevant than The Rugrats ever were.
    Animation Revelation All the cool kids are doing it, why aren't you?

"Oh shut up, you're wasting valuable smashing time!"- Sideshow Mel in "Bart After Dark"

Kiddington is offline tut tut
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Agreed on Rugrats. I like the show and all (well, the really old, pre-movie stuff anyways), but I question who made the call to give it that award, especially considering how quickly and unceremoniously Nickelodeon kicked it to the curb after Spongebob took over the reins as their new favorite son. It might come back into relevance sometime in the next 10 years or so (if 90's nostalgia plays in its favor), but otherwise, yeah, Rugrats is almost a forgotten relic nowadays. I don't really consider it "timeless", in the sense that a Bugs Bunny or a Mickey Mouse are, either; "fad of its time" probably is more appropriate.

...and as far as some of those other potential candidates go, I could see some of those characters or properties (Daffy, Scooby Doo, Charlie Brown/Peanuts, Popeye) being fairly deserving. In fact, I could definitely see Scooby getting one, at some point. I mean, it's not an overly popular "megahit" or anything, but look at how long it's been on. Most cartoon series, as a whole, are lucky to last 10 years, let alone 20... yet the Scooby franchise has been alive and kicking for over 40 years now. I'd say that probably qualifies it as Walk of Fame worthy. Longevity is a worthy accomplishment, especially in Hollywood.

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chalmers View Post
    Shrek and The Rugrats really should not be on that list of recipients of the HWOF star, in my opinion. At most, they were characters that held their appeal for a while as part of a fad, but quickly faded. Neither of these franchises hold much relevance today, nor will they hold relevance in the future.
    I can kind of understand Shrek, but I agree with you on Rugrats. I worked at a daycare once and when one of the employees said when she was younger people said she looked like Angelica Pickles, all the little kids were like "Who?".
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors
    Want to read some movie reviews? Check out the blog
    http://animatedmoviegoddess.blogspot.com/

Eddy is offline there's a chicken on my head
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Shrek and The Rugrats really don't belong there.

I do agree that Eric Cartman deserves a spot, or Matt Stone and Trey Parker themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with everybody about Shrek and The Rugrats. I wonder how that happened? You'd think they'd wait a certain number of years to see if the characters have actually cemented their image in the public eye or burn brightly for a while then fade away. With Shrek and The Rugrats it certainly seems like the latter ... while both arguably huge (at least at some point in their lives) they don't strike me as particularly prominent or timeless.

ShadowBlinky is offline Best Marathon Ever
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddington View Post

...and as far as some of those other potential candidates go, I could see some of those characters or properties (Daffy, Scooby Doo, Charlie Brown/Peanuts, Popeye) being fairly deserving. In fact, I could definitely see Scooby getting one, at some point. I mean, it's not an overly popular "megahit" or anything, but look at how long it's been on. Most cartoon series, as a whole, are lucky to last 10 years, let alone 20... yet the Scooby franchise has been alive and kicking for over 40 years now. I'd say that probably qualifies it as Walk of Fame worthy. Longevity is a worthy accomplishment, especially in Hollywood.
    Seems like a megahit to me.

About the HWOF; Fred Flintstone, anyone?

Dantheman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hail-the-Whale View Post
    I agree with everybody about Shrek and The Rugrats. I wonder how that happened? You'd think they'd wait a certain number of years to see if the characters have actually cemented their image in the public eye or burn brightly for a while then fade away. With Shrek and The Rugrats it certainly seems like the latter ... while both arguably huge (at least at some point in their lives) they don't strike me as particularly prominent or timeless.
    From reading on Wikipedia, the selection process for the Hollywood Walk of Fame is that anyone of merit can be nominated, as long as their management agrees with it, and donates $30,000 to pay for the star and upkeep to the Walk of Fame.

In the case of Shrek and Rugrats, it must seem that Dreamworks and Nickelodeon weren't shy about the donation fee.

Infusions is offline Showers in Spokane
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    From reading on Wikipedia, the selection process for the Hollywood Walk of Fame is that anyone of merit can be nominated, as long as their management agrees with it, and donates $30,000 to pay for the star and upkeep to the Walk of Fame.

In the case of Shrek and Rugrats, it must seem that Dreamworks and Nickelodeon weren't shy about the donation fee.
    I guess it's good for whoever is up keeping these awards and such and a good way to get money (Which all companies need), but I always thought of the Wall of Fame as a far more exclusive thing.

I get that still trying to get there in the first place is pretty hard, but having Shrek and Rugrats there because the two companies were able to pay the donation fee makes it feel less... Special I guess? Not sure on the word.
    DORK.

Mesousa is offline Biggest Hinata Azuma fanboy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What about Snow White? Anybody thinks it's a bit odd that she's there? It seems just as random as Rugrats and Shrek.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast