Quantcast
    EHH123 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Digital Coloring on TV

Like This Thread!
    "Rescuers Down Under" was the first animated movie to use digital coloring instead of cels and, wow, did they use it effectively. I was wondering. When was digital coloring first used on television animation and when was it first used to its fill potential? CG and Flash does not count.

cognitofalcon is offline G'night evry' body!!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not convinced it has been used to it's full potential at all on TV yet. I think digital coloring won't see true potential for many years, video technology itself really can't match the bright clarity of photo negatives yet.
    I now use Tumblr regularly.
    http://cognitofalcon.tumblr.com/
    I'm also participating in Let's Plays now (Among other things)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SAFGuys

Not as cynical now a'days =) I am much happier too!

Philmister978 is offline Alvight, you vin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cognitofalcon View Post
    I'm not convinced it has been used to it's full potential at all on TV yet. I think digital coloring won't see true potential for many years, video technology itself really can't match the bright clarity of photo negatives yet.
    Yeah, it also depends on the studio too.

Companies like Production IG and Rough Draft can (and try use it to their fullest potential (though not very noticeable on TV) while most companies like Akom, Wang and AIC aren't, even though they too use CG every now and again (AIC moreso then the other two, though CG has appeared in a couple of Akom-animated Simpsons episodes)

But overall, you are right, video Technology still has a long ways to go.
    Aw come on, you expect me to put something witty here?

Debbie is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As far as I can remember, the 1985 revival of The Jetsons was one of the earliest Hanna-Barbera shows to utilize digital coloring (and can be seen on The Jetsons Season 2 Vol. 1 DVD). I don't know if WB just didn't bother to remaster the episodes or the old digital format isn't compatible with modern DVD technology, because the four episodes shot on film actually look much better on DVD than the computer colored episodes do.

EHH123 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Avatar: The Last Airbender" clearly did not look garish despite the fact it was colored digitally. This shows the technology has been used effectively on TV.

ToonEGuy is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EHH123 View Post
    "Avatar: The Last Airbender" clearly did not look garish despite the fact it was colored digitally. This shows the technology has been used effectively on TV.
    Yeah, I've felt the same way about the majority of newer cartoons done digitally. Most of them just seem to have terrible coloring, but now and then I do see some shows that are able to use a nicer, richer color palette. What really irks me about how digital coloring is being used though is just hearing about how easy it is to fix coloring mistakes now with a single click. If it's really that simple to fix colors, then why are most of these cartoons colored as bad as they are? I think the problem is that the people who work on these shows don't see how the whole show can be a coloring mistake and think that they're colored just fine.

The funny thing about Rescuers Down Under being the first Disney film done in CAPS is that even though it came right after the cel animated Little Mermaid, it's whole boast about being done digitally was never really as obvious to me as a kid. The transition from cels to digital for that film just came across as being seamless (I think because the coloring felt the same), which I think is how I would want digital animation to be done if cels were no longer an option. Unfortunately a lot of the digital cartoons on television just seem to stand out when compared to some older cel animated shows.