tb4000 is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Animated movies with female leads

Like This Thread!
    There have been a few, most of the Disney princess types, a couple of Don Bluth's flicks, etc. Though Pixar has yet to go that route, but who knows what the future holds with them. Do you tend to gravitate towards movies featuring a male lead moreso than a female, or does it not matter to you? I don't mean tv shows, as there are plenty of those, but big budget theatrical affairs.

Wussycat is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It doesn't matter to me. Though I am a big fan of Studio Ghibli's female leads.

CobraSpectre is offline Vanship Pilot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here's an article about this Gender roles in animated cartoons
    -Cobraspectre

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I guess it doesn't really matter to me, since I enjoy many of the Disney classics that focus on a female lead. The Secret of NIMH was also a favorite of mine when I was little.

And while it's not an entire feature, but rather the final segment of one, I love "Taarna" from Heavy Metal, and that has a kick-ass female lead.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Current TV Favorites: Arrow, Bates Motel, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Elementary, Family Guy, Justified, Longmire, Ripper Street, Sleepy Hollow, Toy Hunter, Unforgettable.

Kevin the Geek is offline Golem fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As long as the movie has a good story and likeable characters, I don't care if the main character is male or female.

One animated movie that I like that has females as the main characters is The Powerpuff Girls Movie, which I own on DVD.
    My DVD/Blu-ray collection: http://kevin-the-geek.filmaf.com/

Formerly known as Comic Guy

Rasputin is offline Self-Declared Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I almost always prefer female leads in animated films simply because they often have more depth than their male counterparts simply on behalf of their sex. It's hard to have a kickass male lead that doesn't come off as a jerk, while kickass female leads have that 'overcoming vulnerability and prejudice' schtick that makes them a lot easier to root for and empathise with. Though that understandably holds more for action-orientated animations.
    AH POOK IS HERE!

aalong64 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rock and Rule (there is a male lead character as well, but he doesn't do anything in the film, and has much less screen time)
    Heavy Metal (only in the last segment, although the lead in the linking scenes is female, too)