Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Rover_Wow is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SP's "Bloody Mary" pulled from rerunning... by Catholic League?

Like This Thread!
    "South Park" Parked by Complaints

By Sarah Hall

Did Comedy Central grant the Catholic League its Christmas wish?

Following the Dec. 7 season finale of South Park, titled "Bloody Mary," the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights slammed the network for its irreverent portrayal of church icons and sought to block the episode from being rebroadcast.

It appears the group may have met with success. A repeat of the finale was scheduled to air Wednesday night, but was pulled from the Comedy Central lineup without explanation.

In the episode, a statue of the Virgin Mary is believed to be bleeding from its rear end, inspiring faithful parishioners to flock from miles around to be healed by the miraculous blood.

Eventually, Pope Benedict XVI is called in to investigate, whereupon he determines that the statue is actually menstruating and thus is nothing special.

"A chick bleeding out her vagina is no miracle," the pope declares in the episode. "Chicks bleed out their vaginas all the time."

Somewhat predictably, the Catholic League was incensed by the satirical portrayal of the Virgin Mary and the pope and by the fact that the episode aired on the day before the Catholic Church celebrated its Feast of the Immaculate Conception.

The conservative group demanded an apology from Viacom, Comedy Central's parent company, to Roman Catholics everywhere and "a pledge that this episode be permanently retired and not be made available on DVD."

The Catholic League also sought a personal condemnation from Viacom board member Joseph A. Califano Jr., who the group noted is a "practicing Catholic."

Califano was only too happy to oblige. After viewing the episode, he released a statement calling the episode an "appalling and disgusting portrayal of the Virgin Mary."

"It is particularly troubling to me as a Roman Catholic that the segment has run on the eve and day of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, a holy day for Roman Catholics," Califano said.

Califano also pledged to have Viacom president and CEO Tom Freston review the episode.

Comedy Central did not respond to a request for comment on why "Bloody Mary" was yanked from the schedule.

Screencaps of the episode were no longer available on Comedy Central's press site or on comedycentral.com's South Park section.

The Catholic League previously tangled with Comedy Central in 2002 over a South Park episode titled "Red Hot Catholic Love," but failed to produce any results.
    What would you like to do today?
    * Help Hey Arnold! fans get closure to their series: Go here and/or here (preferably, both).
    * Get Road Rovers another season: Go here, then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ...Wow.
    Am I ever lucky I caught THAT on first airing. Plus, it'll be a hit on Limewire and everything.

Fan of Sponge is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Me too.

After all these years, an episode of South Park is too hot even for cable tv. Matt and Trey should do a politically correct version of the episode for their season premire coming in March.

John Pannozzi is offline 30 Years of Turtle Power
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This episode won't even be on DVD? Curse YOU, Califano!

TnAdct1 is online now I WANT MY MEWTWO!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Since I felt that this episode was a clunker, I'm somewhat indifferent over the "Bloody Mary" episode being pulled from rerun rotation.
    Joe Klemm
    Toon Addict for Life and "gated community" member since August, 2002.

"ph34r t3h cute ones" -Megatokyo

livingfruitvirus is offline No! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hate the Catholic League, because they're the LEAGUE. They're not in any way affiliated with the Catholic church, but they use its power to get their wishes.

While we're at it - http://www.parentstv.org/PTC/publica.../2005/1221.asp

Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quick, Comedy Central! Give this episode a 24 hour marathon.

Prowlus is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=livingfruitvirus]I hate the Catholic League, because they're the LEAGUE. They're not in any way affiliated with the Catholic church, but they use its power to get their wishes.

What are they?, The bible bashing versions of the Justice League with characters like "Sea-man"?

Master Moron is offline Forum Elder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_Wow
    The conservative group demanded an apology from Viacom, Comedy Central's parent company, to Roman Catholics everywhere and "a pledge that this episode be permanently retired and not be made available on DVD."
    Okay, this REALLY pisses me off. It's one thing to take a show off the air. Its quite another to say that people who bought the DVD shouldn't get to see the episode. If someone's paying for the freakin' DVD then they probably know there's some offensive content on it.

I seriously doubt theyll succeed at this, but just the idea of them trying to take away this episode from the fans just because they don't like it is just despicable.

Just the fact that Comedy Central pulled a repeat of this episode makes them look like a bunch of *******.

SirLemming is offline a playa in a world of NPCs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If they actually succeed in getting it pulled from the DVD, I'll have to start agreeing with all the "censorship has gone too far" people. That would be true, legitimate censorship.

Unfortunately, it happens to be an episode not worth fighting over, so it's all a matter of principles.
    THE CASTLE OF SIR LEMMING
    THIS MONTH'S UPDATE: Christmas Countdown! 25 Christmas songs of interest.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast